Clear All

Two in one day

https://twitter.com/ajc/status/997664074061271040?s=21

Comment

What will it take, America?

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
        What will it take, America?
        Unfortunately I doubt that there'll be anything drastically positive in my lifetime. A small group of states, citizens, and lobbying groups hold way too much sway in congress.

The wording of the second amendment is so damned ambiguous. For now it easily favors the "guns everywhere" groups.

It will have to be a slow process; city by city, state by state, lots of lawsuits and court action. Got to have some help w/ SCOTUS, and w/ a conservative majority that will take awhile. I am optimistic that today's youth see through the lies and bullshit of the NRA's desperate arguments - they will show more cajones than the generation currently in power.

Comment

Changing the law so that manufacturers and owners are legally responsible for damages arising from their negligence would help significantly.

Comment

That would solve so much and it’s 2nd Amendment proof, i think.

Comment

Lt Governor of Texas reckons the problem could be that the school had too many doors.

Comment

There is a desperately infuriating line that's been repeated at least since Parkland about basically turning schools into prison camps.

This is because the problem is being presented as being "in our schools" - "Why do we let so many massacres happen in our schools?" "We have to do something to prevented tragedies like Parkland and Santa Fe and Newtown." "How can we let children die?" And so on...

This allows the gun lobby to claim to be offering to "do something" and Republican legislators to claim to be "making schools safer" and have bipartisan support for school safety bills, and so on.

And what they all propose are versions of removing all the doors from schools (and, hey, who cares if nobody can get out in a fire?). More metal detectors. More armed guards. More lockdown drills. Better security on the outside of the school.

Because it's presented as a schools problem and not a gun problem, the NRA legislators get to pass totally useless or counterproductive legislation that spends a fortune on making students more scared and less used to normal environments, and claim to be helping with the problem, while the guns remain untouched.

Comment

https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/997888272784412673?s=21

Comment

Briscoe Cain has this as his pinned tweet.

Briscoe Cain
                    @BriscoeCain
                    Mar 13
                    More
                    Stephen Hawking now knows the truth about how the universe was actually made.
                    My condolences to his family.

Comment

A lot of suggestions have been made as to how this seemingly intractable problem can be addressed. There are too many guns out there and they are not going to go away. The best that we can hope for is to keep them out of the hands of people who shouldn't have them. Background checks are an obvious step but that isn't perfect as anyone who has worked in criminal law will testify. As it is, depending on where you are, the possession of a photo ID will usually allow you to purchase a gun. Some states require a day or to to conduct the check before collecting the gun but a lot of dealers ignore that and, anyway, it doesn't happen at gun shows.

Keeping the guns away from people with mental health issues is another important step but you will need a good working definition of mental illness. Kleptomania, homosexuality and severe menstrual stress have all, in the last few years, been categorized as mental illnesses. Also, most people are not obviously mentally ill so how is the dealer to know? Ask? ("Are you crazy?" "No." "Alright then.") HIPPA precludes the releasing of any medical information to a third party without the consent of the individual concerned and I don't see anyone agreeing to their private medical information being released to a retailer,no matter what.

Most perpetrators of these outrages do not survive. They either kill themselves or are shot by law enforcement. That makes it difficult to find any commonality with which to build a profile of a person more likely to go on such a rampage. Many are described as 'loners'. I was a loner at school and I still like my own company. I don't think I am a risk.

Another problem is the stigma which attaches to mental illness in America. I had a client who declined a plea based on a temporary, and treatable, mental illness because "People will say I'm crazy".

Comment

"Gun shows" are a mystery to me. They sound spectacularly lax. But doubtless politically untouchable.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                          Briscoe Cain has this as his pinned tweet.
                          I have no idea who that is, but he's undoubtedly a complete fucking cunt.

Comment

Absolutely untouchable. A little while ago they held one here right next door to a school. There were protests and requests to move it somewhere else but to no avail. The noise was deafening. They are lax and all but impossible to regulate.

Comment

Briscoe Cain is a member of the Texas House of Representatives, a lawyer and a right wing religious nutcase.

Comment

Has anything been made of many of these shooters and links to Neo Nazi groups/ideology?

Comment

People of good faith have tried, but it has been largely buried in more mainstream media, and of course completely ignored/denied by the right wing media complex (while the NRA can always be counted on to describe anyone in favour of gun control as a Nazi).

Comment

Originally posted by adams house cat View Post
                                    Keeping the guns away from people with mental health issues is another important step but you will need a good working definition of mental illness.
                                    Do you want to buy a gun? Then you're not mentally fit to own a gun.

I am aware this is a facetious response, but ...

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post
                                      Has anything been made of many of these shooters and links to Neo Nazi ideology?
                                      The bastard who shot up the church in Charleston SC had photographs taken of him with small swastika flags Whether he was a "formal" member of a group I don't know but it shows his thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by adams house cat View Post
                                        Absolutely untouchable. A little while ago they held one here right next door to a school. There were protests and requests to move it somewhere else but to no avail. The noise was deafening. They are lax and all but impossible to regulate.
                                        Belated thanks for this reply. They were in the school when the guns were being fired?

Comment

It was a Saturday so some of the sports teams would have been there. They would have heartd firing because there was a "testing range" outside.

Comment

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/1004082622090432514

Comment

Shooting at a newspaper in Maryland "several deaths "

Comment

https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/1012419687043354624?s=21

Comment

We should remember civility though. Oh yes.

Comment

Suspect is a white male in his 20's, he's also apparently refusing to ID himself to LEO.

Cannot for the life of me hazard a guess as to his motivations.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X