• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the American Right are such psychopaths

just imagine being this rancid old fucker

https://twitter.com/RealJamesWoods/status/967943709634453504

Comment

Scumball. Scum of the earth, his worth is nil. Poor man’s Peter Weller.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
        I can't in Safari but can in chrome. Go figure.
        I was using firefox on my phone.

Comment

response

https://twitter.com/Emma4Change/status/968293438407020544

Comment

Interesting to see that all our "Blue Lives Matter" Republicans have totally changed their tune once it becomes a choice between giving the police a massive kicking or standing up to the gun lobby. It seems like every single person on the right has decided that it's more important to put the boot into Florida law enforcement than it is to admit that a "good guy, trained, with a gun" turned out to not be a (ahem) silver bullet.

Comment

FFS
              http://www.philly.com/philly/news/na...html?mobi=true

Comment

I searched "David Hogg" on Twitter last night and the results aren't pretty. People pushing the crisis actor idea and worse.

Comment

On the other hand . . .

By now you know the drill: massive news event happens, journalists scramble to figure out what’s going on, and within a couple hours the culprit is found — Russian bots.

Russian bots were blamed for driving attention to the Nunes memo, a Republican-authored document on the Trump-Russia probe. They were blamed for pushing for Roy Moore to win in Alabama’s special election. And here they are wading into the gun debate following the Parkland shooting. “[T]he messages from these automated accounts, or bots, were designed to widen the divide and make compromise even more difficult,” wrote the New York Times in a story following the shooting, citing little more than “Twitter accounts suspected of having links to Russia.”

This is, not to mince words, total bullshit.

The thing is, nearly every time you see a story blaming Russian bots for something, you can be pretty sure that the story can be traced back to a single source: the Hamilton 68 dashboard, founded by a group of respected researchers, including Clint Watts and JM Berger, and currently run under the auspices of the German Marshall Fund.

But even some of the people who popularized that metric now acknowledge it’s become totally overblown.

Comment

None of which is contradicted by the Elder and Warzell piece I posted.

Comment

OK

Though if one goes back to the original Washington Post piece that Reed posted on where and how the "crisis actor" thing started this time around*, the primary actors are 8chan, 4chan and Reddit shitposters and Trumpites, not Russian trolls. I agree that Russian (and likely other state actor) disinformation campaigns are involved in promoting this kind of crap, but also believe that the original calls are coming from inside the house, so to speak.

* This piece from Motherboard is good on its origins well before Parkland.

Comment

Yes, they are anonymous, but they haven't been identified as primary vectors for "Russian troll" activity by the likes of Adrien Chen or the latest indictment.

I'm inclined to lean towards asymmetrical impact as well, but it is really hard to prove, especially if the standard is "beyond a reasonable doubt".

Comment

I wonder how they are going to walk all of this back.

President Trump launched into a freewheeling, televised strategy session with lawmakers over the issue of guns by declaring that he will unilaterally bar so-called “bump stocks” and asking Congress to send him one “terrific” bill aimed at reducing gun violence.

. . .

Trump also repeatedly clashed with Republican lawmakers during the summit as he appeared more sympathetic to Democratic proposals. In one exchange, Trump chastised Sen. Patrick J. Toomey (R-Pa.) for resisting a move that would raise the minimum purchase age for rifles to 21.

When told that a higher age limit wasn’t included in a universal background checks bill written by Toomey and Sen. Joe Manchin III (D-W.Va.), Trump told Toomey: “You know why? Because you’re afraid of the NRA.”

And the president dumped on a House GOP measure that combines the modest bill meant to bolster reporting to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System, or NICS, with a controversial measure that would require states to recognize concealed-carry permits from another state.

“If you add concealed-carry to this, you’ll never get it passed,” Trump told House Majority Whip Steve Scalise (R-La.), the chamber’s chief vote-counter, who tried fruitlessly to persuade the president in favor of merging the two measures.

Comment

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/968971000661598209

Comment

https://twitter.com/AP_Images/status/968938936973365255

Comment

Trump is (again) a total wildcard. One day we get the Trump who wants to arm teachers; the next day he's in favour of raising the minimum age to 21. How long before the GOP in Congress just tunes him out whenever possible, because he's just a random noise barking out whatever thought just entered his head?

Comment

https://twitter.com/usatoday/status/969625921740267521?s=21

Comment

Did the NRA not tell people about these discounts? do enough flying and it would almost be worth your while joining the NRA even if you never held a gun.

Comment

Fantastic long piece in The New Yorker about the NRA' Marion Hammer, who shapes Florida's gun policy.

Comment

UA (I think) posted that a few pages back. Well worth reading though so the repetition is valuable

Comment

Interested to know if other's take on this is the same as mine. It's an unambiguous threat, isn't it? How long before someone dies because some shitfaced redneck hears the call to murder there wasn't a good guy with a gun around?

What. A. Fucking. Country.

Comment

Like this?

Comment

Shit, yes, I'd forgotten her. How long is it the political discourse has been so poisonous now?

Of course, as with Jo Cox. there's always the nutter element, the random radical. But I was genuinely shaken by what seems to me to be a message clearly calling for intimidation and carefully fetching up just short of explicit incitement to actual violence. I shouldn't be surprised I know.

Would I be right in assuming they'll have had the script legally checked? Or don't they even need to bother with that sort of thing now?

Comment

The legal barriers to a charge of criminal incitement here are quite high, but they would have run it by in house counsel.

The NRA has been ratcheting its insane rhetoric up since the election, as they are no longer able to scare their acolytes into buying more guns before the scary black guy takes them away.

As a result, sales are down, which makes their primary funders very upset.

Comment

I just imagine some guy in a pickup truck in flyover country getting real steamed under the collar over something that Joy Ann Reid said on MSNBC on a Saturday morning.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                    The legal barriers to a charge of criminal incitement here are quite high, but they would have run it by in house counsel.

The NRA has been ratcheting its insane rhetoric up since the election, as they are no longer able to scare their acolytes into buying more guns before the scary black guy takes them away.

As a result, sales are down, which makes their primary funders very upset.
                                                    It really doesn't help the NRA to have no fear that The Government Is Coming For Your Guns. Ironically, it's worse for them to have a Republican President, House and Senate than any other outcome. Enough that it makes me deeply cynical when I see their friends talking up gun control.

So, the conspiracy-corner part of me begins to wonder whether Marco Rubio suddenly seeing the light on gun control might not be an NRA backed sales pitch. And Rubio will quietly back down in a few months, and get a nice extra chunk of campaign cash. Meanwhile, NRA members will have been scared into thinking Congress Is Coming For Their Guns.

If you don't have a Scary Black Guy, you have to make do with what you have available.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X