No announcement yet.

A Well Regulated Militia . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was suggested the Democrats had done particularly badly in rural areas in 1994. Is that true?

Comment

That wouldn’t be my prime takeaway

Comment

I don't know what any of those districts are like, really, so hard for me to tell.

Striking that the Democrats had so many southern seats.

What the heck happened to them in Washington State?

Comment

I'm really hopeful for the student walkouts--besides the one account linked to above, there's another Twitter account calling for a walkout, and the Women's March people are also organizing one. Hopefully they don't all talk over each other and cancel out the effectiveness, but bring more attention to the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
            I'm really hopeful for the student walkouts--besides the one account linked to above, there's another Twitter account calling for a walkout, and the Women's March people are also organizing one. Hopefully they don't all talk over each other and cancel out the effectiveness, but bring more attention to the issue.
            The one I linked to has the dreaded Trotskyist clenched fist.

This one has had 30 000 retweets though

https://twitter.com/schoolwalkoutUS/status/964697373074231298

Comment

My only worry with this date being so far in the future is that the anger will wear off and the drip drip drip of pro gun arguments that they'll all be subject to will dilute the protest. I know they've chosen April 20th for a good reason but I'd be much more positive if it were March 7th

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                My only worry with this date being so far in the future is that the anger will wear off and the drip drip drip of pro gun arguments that they'll all be subject to will dilute the protest. I know they've chosen April 20th for a good reason but I'd be much more positive if it were March 7th
                Agreed. But it's highly likely that there will be another shooting between 17th February and April 20th.

Comment

if you go to the National School Walkout page you can see people signing their petition in real time

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                    I just realised it was the anniversary of Columbine.

It's also 420 day (International cannabis day).

Comment

And Hitler's birthday, come to that.

This from a report on the Florida students' response

One sign said, "The Elementary students couldn't protest — WE CAN," a reference to the 2012 shooting massacre of 26 students and staff at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn.

Comment

They call themselves "survivors' which is powerful- and absolutely right.

https://twitter.com/sarahchad_/status/964958797734318081

Comment

I love these young people.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/964934431369781248

Comment

This woman is a fucking hero. And a hell of an orator.

"We are going to be the last mass shooting."

https://twitter.com/Mikel_Jollett/status/964996741320736768

Comment

She's 17.

If the president wants to come up to me and tell me to my face that it was a terrible tragedy and how it should never have happened...I'm gonna happily ask him how much money he received from the National Rifle Association."

Comment

Righteous. This doesn’t end here. It’ll get dirty, possibly mass murderous if any restrictions ever do come in, but the bastards are losing. The majority of Americans already support restrictions on assault rifles and semi automatics and checks before buying a gun, lets see the 20% of perverted violence fetishist scumbuckets properly marginalized and treated with the contempt and scorn they deserve. Even by folk who might go hunting with a rifle once in a while. Fuck this bullshit misreading of the 2nd Amendment. I can see unpredecedented youth turn out in Mid Terms, if they get around the suppression traps.
                                Last edited by Lang Spoon; 18-02-2018, 00:17.

Comment

smart, beautiful, articulate and full of compassion. these kids are the anti-Trump

new Yorker

Comment

https://twitter.com/julieturkewitz/status/964961178245099520

Comment

https://twitter.com/nxthompson/status/965057095270846464

Comment

Well said.

Comment

Watch her again

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/965193666871652352

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno
                                            I've encountered my share of politically disengaged adolescents so this looks like a really hopeful sign. But we're never going to do what Australia or the UK did, there'd be civil war. We're going to put armed guards and metal detectors in every school, some states will allow armed teachers, and the killers will find other soft targets. More guns than people is a stubborn fact.
                                            We already have armed guards or police in many schools. Metal detectors too.

A lot of kids are disengaged because they’ve never been given a reason to be engaged. Most of the political discussion they’ve seen - on TV, on social media, from politicians themselves - is so transparently stupid that they’ve been alienated from it completely.

Post-911 paranoia is just a fact of life to them. They don’t remember anything before it. They don’t remember a time that we weren’t at war with Eurasia. They don’t remember anything in the news pre-Obama, so they simply have no experience of politics actually changing much of anything, so they don’t expect it to. The kids I talked to after Trump was elected were - with a few exceptions - maddeningly naive and ignorant about what was about to happen (as were their parents, in many cases.)

But hopefully the “this isn’t normal” message is starting to get through. And the #metoo and guns are two issues that speak to their lived experience, so I think they are waking up a bit. I hope.

Comment

The survivors couldn't speak out after Sandy Hook. These are some of the smartest, most articulate people in the country. They're fearless. They're leaders. They've got nothing to lose.

Comment

Parkland had an armed guard

Comment

And another guy.
                                                  “This is about creating a badge of shame for any politician taking money from the NRA and using us as collateral.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/965235765931401218
                                                  Last edited by Nefertiti2; 18-02-2018, 18:29.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                                                    And another guy.
                                                    “This is about creating a badge of shame for any politician taking money from the NRA and using us as collateral.
                                                    https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/965235765931401218
                                                    Fucking hell, that's beautiful. Superbly put, superbly spoken. Bravo to that kid.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X