No announcement yet.

A Well Regulated Militia . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let the gun nuts and cops have shoot outs with each other. Maybe it will keep both of them occupied and they won't have time to kill other people for a change.

Comment

Even considering any type of confiscation of the existing stock is thought to be political suicide here.

The most that can be uttered publically are various plans to buy some weapons back.

Comment

Nothing will get through a GOP congress and I suspect that even if the Dems held both houses they would be too scared of an electoral backlash; loss of power for a generation.

Rick Scott surely knows this so I'm not sure why he is making empty promises to aim to stop the "mentally ill", which he fails to define, obtain guns.

Comment

Nothing after Newtown

No action on bump stocks after Vegas

It is going to require a generation and/or massive changes in our politics for there to be any hope of change.

Comment

Originally posted by multipleman78 View Post
            The people who defend their rights to owning a gun generally come across as the same type of folk who go on about not wanting to have abortion as an option as it is ending a life. I wonder what they would choose if you gave them a compromise. Abortions are banned to protect unborn children and guns are banned to protect those who have been born. Do you think they would take the offer? I suspect not.
            But just like the ban on abortion, the right bear arms is divine. Jesus wrote it, in the Bible.

Comment

the only thing that might change things is the teenagers themselves

angry, articulate, fearless. I read 125,000 teenagers have experienced a school shooting,

https://twitter.com/car_nove/status/964122342464081921

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/964321994949955585
              Last edited by Nefertiti2; 16-02-2018, 05:10.

Comment

That is an awesome interview. Thanks.

Comment

Tomi Lahren makes me want to smash things.

Comment

Starting with her.

One of the kids who survived Parkland is the granddaughter of a guy who survived a school shooting by hiding in a closet. She did the same.

Comment

Please tell me that her grandfather was a teacher.

Comment

No, he was a kid.

It was one of the first "mass shootings" (and evidently not at a school).

Comment

these kids are fantastic- but then they've seen war.

It's like the Vets who came back from VietNam.

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/964340971243786240
                          Last edited by Nefertiti2; 16-02-2018, 16:24.

Comment

The NRA are chickenhawks with bone spurs. These kids were forced to go to war.

https://www.msnbc.com/stephanie-ruhl...-1162322499637
                            Last edited by Nefertiti2; 16-02-2018, 16:32.

Comment

They even had their own war reporter

https://twitter.com/jaredbkeller/status/964204685577019392

Comment

During assault weapon ban, the number of gun massacres fell by 37 percent.
                                After the ban lapsed in 2004, the numbers shot up again — an astonishing 183 percent increase in massacres and a 239 percent increase in massacre deaths.
                                More here

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                                  My first thought, sadly, was "Shit, I wish we had smart phones when I was trying to be a 'student reporter' in high school." Of course, nobody ever tried to shoot up the school. But I could have Gonzo'd the hell out of the after prom party.

However, a girl who went to the Alternative Program part of our school did, a few years after I graduated and was not in town, go to the HUB Lawn on PSU's campus with a rifle and shoot a few people before a very brave and alert bypasser stopped her. One fatality and one serious wounding. Fortunately, it happened right next to the College of Health and Human Services which is full of nurses. And one kid was saved because a massive textbook in his backpack blocked a bullet. She said that she was just planning to kill herself and then freaked out when she thought somebody would stop her. She definitely fit the definition of "mentally ill" in the sense that her perception of immediate reality was, umm, not inter-subjectively symmetrical, to use a term I just made up. But she is in a regular prison, as far as I know, which can't be ideal, though maybe mental health services are better for women in prison. Probably not.

After the news spread of that, I've always suspected that's why they changed the name of the Alternative Program to the Delta Program.

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/news/ca...a53a4a4b2.html

Comment

Last night I was watching a programme on ITV entitled "Children who kill" about juvenile life without parole in the United States.

https://www.itv.com/hub/children-who-kill/2a5251a0001

It was interesting enough and focused on two individuals who killed when under the age of 18. What astonishes me though is giving them life without parole. After 19 years one of the individuals had his application for the sentence to be commuted to 40 years refused on the basis he might still be a danger to society. I really can't believe the way the United States behaves over this as it is only country in the World with juvenile life without parole. If you can't rehabilitate a 16 year old, what is the purpose of imprisonment. Yet the US now has more people in prison (per head of population) than anyone else in the World, the highest number of prisoners on life without parole and that figure doesn't include prisoners who have been given impossible sentences such as 150 years. With all the vitriol that has come out of the US recently about Muslims and Islamic law, the United States seems closer to sharia law than any western nation on earth.

Sorry for the thread hijack but I just didn't know where else to put this.

Comment

Elected judiciary is a really fucking bad idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
                                        Last night I was watching a programme on ITV entitled "Children who kill" about juvenile life without parole in the United States.

https://www.itv.com/hub/children-who-kill/2a5251a0001

It was interesting enough and focused on two individuals who killed when under the age of 18. What astonishes me though is giving them life without parole. After 19 years one of the individuals had his application for the sentence to be commuted to 40 years refused on the basis he might still be a danger to society. I really can't believe the way the United States behaves over this as it is only country in the World with juvenile life without parole. If you can't rehabilitate a 16 year old, what is the purpose of imprisonment. Yet the US now has more people in prison (per head of population) than anyone else in the World, the highest number of prisoners on life without parole and that figure doesn't include prisoners who have been given impossible sentences such as 150 years. With all the vitriol that has come out of the US recently about Muslims and Islamic law, the United States seems closer to sharia law than any western nation on earth.

Sorry for the thread hijack but I just didn't know where else to put this.
                                        That show was heartbreaking in so many ways, and the most infuriating thing was that the thing keeping the guy in prison was such a matter of procedure - namely that because life without parole is a sentence that CAN be given for murder by a juvenile then there HAS to be a bar set. The judge seemed genuinely remorseful that his hands were somewhat tied. I don't want any part of a world which cannot accept people can change.

Comment

the prison issue deserves discussion- perhaps its own thread.

Especially the number of black men in prison

meanwhile, don't mourn. organise

https://twitter.com/studentswalkout/status/964601845741060096
                                          Last edited by Nefertiti2; 16-02-2018, 21:37.

Comment

Fixed
                                            Last edited by Nefertiti2; 16-02-2018, 21:37.

Comment

I've read a couple of things suggesting that the 1994 Republican surge was a lot to do with Clinton passing his modest gun control. Is that true?

What with that and Obamacare in 2010, I'm struggling with the proposition that there's an obvious path to victory for "bolder" progressivism.

Comment

I think that's something like 10% true, 90% false. A lot of Republicans were funded by the NRA following that leglislation, but there would have been a wave anyway. There would be the usual anti-incumbent wave, of course. But more to the point, there would have been a wave because of the failed health-care legislation. What appears to be true is that addressing healthcare is always hugely dangerous in the US. But the NRA pushed the myth that it was gun control, and the myth has held a tight grip on Democrats since.

Comment

It probably was a factor in some districts, but the more important factors in my memory were the whole Gingrich “Contract for America” nonsense and the campaign of fear against the attempts at health care reform.

A key element of the progressive argument is that the electorate is much different than it was in 1994.

Harry and Louise are dead.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X