No announcement yet.

A Well Regulated Militia . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My recollection is that the percentage of gun owners is dropping but the number of guns is increasing so that means the average gun owner owns many guns and the average number is increasing.

The NRA doesn’t work for gun nuts so much as it works for the gun manufacturers, so they have to gin up more and more fascist and paranoia so more people will think they need to tool up to fight the coming Mongel hoards. Their was a time when the NRA just promotes shooting sports and gun safety, but there’s no margin in that.

I’m 100% anti-gun. Hunting is disgusting, though not as bad as trapping or, really, factory meat production.

But if I said that out loud around here, I might be shot.

Comment

Trump can now blame the FBI as well as the killer's "neighbors and classmates".
      Last edited by Ray de Galles; 15-02-2018, 15:51.

Comment

Thread from Respectable Lawyer on Twitter about Infowars and their false reporting of the shooter:

https://twitter.com/RespectableLaw/status/964187511017869316

(click on the time link on the tweet to see the thread)

I know we've always had our share of paranoiacs, but I feel like shit like Infowars and parts of Twitter and Facebook have made the problem even worse. Besides the obvious threats of gun violence, its the comments that he screenshots and knowing that a lot of those people are seemingly functional members of society that aren't just ranting and screaming at cars and freeway offramps that make me think that we're doomed as a species, or at least definitely as a country.

Comment

Talking of "ranting and screaming", I was called a bitch the other day, by some random, because I was walking home from work. And, I was reliably informed by same person, that I would be arrested if I were in California, for jaywalking.

This was at 7:30am, on a main road, with no other people around, but many, many cars. If I had engaged, what do you think the chances of ending up with a bullet, would be? (Anything over 0% is not good odds) I bravely, kept walking.
          Last edited by Gerontophile; 15-02-2018, 17:46.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
            My recollection is that the percentage of gun owners is dropping but the number of guns is increasing so that means the average gun owner owns many guns and the average number is increasing.

The NRA doesn’t work for gun nuts so much as it works for the gun manufacturers, so they have to gin up more and more fascist and paranoia so more people will think they need to tool up to fight the coming Mongel hoards. Their was a time when the NRA just promotes shooting sports and gun safety, but there’s no margin in that.

I’m 100% anti-gun. Hunting is disgusting, though not as bad as trapping or, really, factory meat production.

But if I said that out loud around here, I might be shot.
            Oh yeah, well what's your solution for all those deer? I bet you're one of those goddamn hippies that would bring back wolves.....

Comment

I would bring back wolves in certain parts of Las Vegas.

Comment

NBC noted that Trump did not use the word "gun" in his statement.

Rick Scott, unlike Trump, now says explicitly we have to stop "mentally ill" people acquiring guns, but he doesn't address how you do that without perpetuating stigma. The sheriff who participated in the same briefing was calling for sweeping police powers to involuntarily take people in for questioning purely in the grounds of things they post on the web, presumably via some dodgy algorithm of homicidal nuttiness.

But there is zero chance of even this guff getting passed by legislators who are funded to the gills with NRA blood money.
                Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 15-02-2018, 18:06.

Comment

Comment

(Sorry to derail) And their previous name was the Las Vegas Hookers.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that, at all, no sirree Bob. They're a hockey team.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                      NBC noted that Trump did not use the word "gun" in his statement.

Rick Scott, unlike Trump, now says explicitly we have to stop "mentally ill" people acquiring guns, but he doesn't address how you do that without perpetuating stigma. The sheriff who participated in the same briefing was calling for sweeping police powers to involuntarily take people in for questioning purely in the grounds of things they post on the web, presumably via some dodgy algorithm of homicidal nuttiness.

But there is zero chance of even this guff getting passed by legislators who are funded to the gills with NRA blood money.
                      I saw a thing today about the NRA money. It looked like lots of their supporters don't get all that much money from them at all. It's incredible bang for the buck they get.

Comment

That might be out of date actually. Is that Kelly Ayotte on there, last column?

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                          We've got two in the top 10.

Dunblane (18, 1996)
                          Hungerford (16, 1987)

At the time they happened, hardly any US spree shootings were worse.
                          And since Dunblane? You just know a Mogg Autarky would legalise handguns as well as bear baiting, cock fighting, the stocks... they’d use some bollocks about our shooting Sportsfolk in that Olympics, and move on to let any cunt in Billericay conceal carry. Every Proud Englishman should be allowed to defend his castle. Or the Tesco express down the road.

Comment

What was before Hungerford? I feel that both of them were anomalies not patterns.

Comment

Since Dunblane, there's been Derek Bird who killed 12. Before Hungerford, I don't know what the worst was.

On a tangent, I'd never heard of this shocker before today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denmark_Place_fire

Simimlarly, this one I do recall.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clerkenwell_cinema_fire

Business being operated from death traps, with no obvious political capacity to stop it happening. Perhaps grimly understandable with the Happyland fire in potless New York, but Central London in the 90s, that ought to have been possible.
                              Last edited by Tubby Isaacs; 15-02-2018, 21:22.

Comment

Tubbs, that’s for a single cycle or maybe a single year.

Here are some aggregate figures.

McCain is closing in on USD 8 million

Comment

Cheers.

Are the numbers going up? That charmer who beat up the journo in Montana is 5th on the House list, and only ran once is a fairly safe seat, so you'd think.

Comment

I'm not quite sure where the discrepancies between the two lists come from - McCain and Tilis for instance are identical on both, so they are clearly both aggregates but there are some massive differences in others - Rubio for example.

Comment

I find the Times list more reliable

Congressional races are becoming more expensive in general, so one would expect the numbers to increase.

There is also a significant amount of gun-related money that does not come from the NRA.

Comment

Go with the Times list. for sure.

Comment

https://twitter.com/makadeymea/status/964232904753762305

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                            Love that second paragraph.

But there is one quirk that consistently puzzles America’s fans and critics alike. Why, they ask, does it experience so many mass shootings?
                                            I'm not sure it puzzles that many people, really. Certainly not consistently. Even less so outside of the States, which is the demographic the first paragraph setup suggests they're talking about here.

It's a large number of people in the USA who appear to be puzzled by it.

Comment

There are some impressively clueless people in this country, but I doubt that more a handful are genuinely “puzzled” by this.

Comment

No indeed, which is why I said they appear to be so. Having paid attention to this and other threads for some time, I'm well aware that even the pro-gun nuts are often perfectly clear on the subject.

Comment

https://twitter.com/RVAwonk/status/964026888674074624

Comment

The people who defend their rights to owning a gun generally come across as the same type of folk who go on about not wanting to have abortion as an option as it is ending a life. I wonder what they would choose if you gave them a compromise. Abortions are banned to protect unborn children and guns are banned to protect those who have been born. Do you think they would take the offer? I suspect not.

If, by some miracle, a ban on guns actually came into law how dangerous would it be to enforce? I presume there would be an amnesty on the table but once that has passed i think we would have some powderkeg situations ending with some cold dead hands on both sides.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X