No announcement yet.

A Well Regulated Militia . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know if the Rasmussen poll is a rogue, but the latest one has him at a scarcely credible 50%, so I guess in Trumpworld it's going fine.

Comment

Jonathan Chait is good. But I noticed he's a strong advocate of charter schools, which would put him among a small group of die hard Blairites over here. Are lots of centre left people pro-charter schools?

Comment

Many of those who live on the coasts and have ties to finance and/or tech evangelists are.

Comment

I suppose at least they're the A team for business. Our academy people aren't. The business A team realised academies were a controversy they didn't need.

Comment

A number of early supporters have lost interest as they have found that education is much harder to "disrupt" than they initially thought.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
              Reed, I think that your number is way low if you are trying to imagine what kind of support an American Front National or AfD would get. I would put that at between 20 and 30 percent, which is higher than Western European comparables, but a bit lower than the likes of Hungary or Poland.
              A fascist candidate could win the Presidency. He starts with that 25% that is already inclined to fascism then convinces another 20% that there is no alternative because the opposition will take your guns and abort your babies.

If Trump, who I don't think has the coherence or depth of belief in any ideology to be comparable to a true fascist like La Pierre, can become POTUS, a true fascist can. We have seen how the other institutions willingly cave or are built on a moral consensus that can easily be busted.

Comment

Back when I worked for the City of Vancouver, I'd spend idle moments wondering who, among my colleagues, would oppose a coup of some kind. I figured there wouldn't be many (including possibly myself.) Most people will always take the path of least resistance, especially if their life, their families lives, or their livelihoods are at stake.

Comment

next move

very smart

https://twitter.com/davidhogg111/status/967408587512348674

Comment

Emma González now has more twitter followers than the NRA

Comment

There's a spot in front of the Federal building in West LA that is a regular spot for protests, both because of the location and also that it's on one of the busiest roads in the city. There was a pro-gun group there today, with "I (heart) the NRA" signs, Trump flags, Gasden flags, etc. I confused my little kids when I rolled down my window and shouted "blood on your hands!" at the crowd, many of whom flipped me off and shouted "fuck you!" back at me.

The nice thing was that I heard a lot of other people in cars giving them the thumbs down, or yelling at them, and not honking in support.
                      Last edited by Incandenza; 24-02-2018, 23:27.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                        Jonathan Chait is good. But I noticed he's a strong advocate of charter schools, which would put him among a small group of die hard Blairites over here. Are lots of centre left people pro-charter schools?
                        He’s a “Now now, let’s all get along” liberal in the bad sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
                          There's a spot in front of the Federal building in West LA that is a regular spot for protests, both because of the location and also that it's on one of the busiest roads in the city. There was a pro-gun group there today, with "I (heart) the NRA" signs, Trump flags, Gasden flags, etc. I confused my little kids when I rolled down my window and shouted "blood on your hands!" at the crowd, many of whom flipped me off and shouted "fuck you!" back at me.

The nice thing was that I heard a lot of other people in cars giving them the thumbs down, or yelling at them, and not honking in support.

That's good to hear. I think something is changing.

This is the google trends for "gun control" over the last thirty days

this is "NRA" over the same period,

if I were the NRA I'd be very worried.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/967150714731618306
                          Last edited by Nefertiti2; 24-02-2018, 23:41.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                            A fascist candidate could win the Presidency. He starts with that 25% that is already inclined to fascism then convinces another 20% that there is no alternative because the opposition will take your guns and abort your babies.

If Trump, who I don't think has the coherence or depth of belief in any ideology to be comparable to a true fascist like La Pierre, can become POTUS, a true fascist can. We have seen how the other institutions willingly cave or are built on a moral consensus that can easily be busted.
                            True, but a real fascist would also have to be about isolationism and railing against international finance (run by Jews, in their world). Trump hasn’t had much luck pushing that sort of thing. The donor class won’t go for it.

The upside of a full on facist in a military uniform, for me, at least, would be that Canada would probably accept me, among others, via asylum. I’d be willing to move to the far north with some friends and we’s start a commune/warrior-monastic order.

Comment

I will not be conscripted.

http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Oli...3163&mode=text

Comment

we will outlive you

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                  True, but a real fascist would also have to be about isolationism and railing against international finance (run by Jews, in their world). Trump hasn’t had much luck pushing that sort of thing. The donor class won’t go for it.

The upside of a full on facist in a military uniform, for me, at least, would be that Canada would probably accept me, among others, via asylum. I’d be willing to move to the far north with some friends and we’s start a commune/warrior-monastic order.
                                  I can see Tonka going for the Commune aspect, the Book of Kells isn't the only illustrated bible that is full of drawings of pets, so Monasticism is an option, but I don't know about the warrior aspect.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                    I can see Tonka going for the Commune aspect, the Book of Kells isn't the only illustrated bible that is full of drawings of pets, so Monasticism is an option, but I don't know about the warrior aspect.
                                    It just sounds cool. Shaolin and all that.

Comment

I suppose Dogs put up with most aspects of our Lunacy..... a cat on the other hand will consider its options.

(at the ultimate extreme, there's no reason to suspect that Blondi twigged that there was much wrong with Hitler as long as she was generally treated well.)
                                      Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 25-02-2018, 13:11.

Comment

What on earth does this have to do with guns?

Comment

it has to do with control,

Meanwhile the Marjory Stoneman Douglas students keep the pressure on

https://twitter.com/davidhogg111/status/967498982304907265

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                            He’s a “Now now, let’s all get along” liberal in the bad sense.
                                            Supporting charters is a very good way of losing friends, at least if you're on the ground. Massachusetts said "no thanks".

Chait seems a bit of a "wonk liberal", which is what I aspire to be, and I suppose you can make a case for a few of these taking over schools where every other initiative has failed, provided there's decent oversight. But not big expansion.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                              About as much as "the Jews", but Lapierre got them in.

Comment

Good piece on how the NRA operates politically

To many of its opponents, that decades-long string of victories is proof that the N.R.A. has bought its political support. But the numbers tell a more complicated story: The organization’s political action committee over the last decade has not made a single direct contribution to any current member of the Florida House or Senate, according to campaign finance records.

In Florida and other states across the country, as well as on Capitol Hill, the N.R.A. derives its political influence instead from a muscular electioneering machine, fueled by tens of millions of dollars’ worth of campaign ads and voter-guide mailings, that scrutinizes candidates for their views on guns and propels members to the polls.

Comment

How do the Zionists supporting Trump feel about being on the same political side as NRA antisemites? Cognitive dissonance would have to be mega.

Comment

They have long ago gotten comfortable with accepting votes, money and other support from reactionaries whose "support for Israel" is grounded in their belief that hardline Likudnik policies will hasten the Apocalypse.

It is one of the most strikingly cynical "coalitions" in contemporary politics.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X