A Well Regulated Militia . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A thread for the collection of US firearms atrocities.

Today's entry.

A 2-year-old boy in Asheboro, N.C. was shot Saturday after locating an unsecured gun in his family's home, the Courier-Tribune reported.

The boy reportedly found the gun in his parents' bedroom and put it in his mouth. His mother, father and three siblings were all home when the accident transpired shortly before 2 p.m. Randolph County, N.C.
    Last week's.

A five-year-old boy in Denton, Texas was left in critical condition after he was shot in the head by his eight-year-old friend Saturday morning. According to the Denton Record-Chronicle, the police said the two boys were alone in the bedroom when the older child found a .22 caliber rifle, pointed it at the other boy, and shot him.
    Earlier this month.

A 2-year-old boy died Wednesday after accidentally shooting himself in the head in the Texas town of Corsicana, the Associated Press reported.

The child reportedly found a handgun in a bedroom while his father was in another room.

This came a day after a Florida 3-year-old fatally shot himself with a gun belonging to his uncle, and a week after a 2-year-old girl in Kentucky died after reports that her 5-year-old brother accidentally shot her in the chest.

Armed security guard arrested for threatening to blow up school he was "guarding".

Comment

Second Texas 2 year old to shoot himself in the head this month.

Comment

Four year old finds gun, kills father.

Comment

Good grief. Imagine being that 4-year-old for the entire rest of your life.

Comment

On a related note - there's a Simpsons game for the iPhone, and in a level they recently made available, there was a pro-gun control joke. There's a popular unofficial blog about the game, with tips, news, etc - clearly nothing to do with any of the makers - and the guy who runs it has had to stop because he and his family were getting death threats, because of the gun joke.

#and I think to myself, what a wonderful world...#

Comment

Sick fuck calls threat into Newtown school on six month anniversary of the massacre, schools in "modified lockdown".

Comment

Another weekend, more dead kids.

On Friday a 9-year-old boy from Canton, Ohio, was shot and killed when a rifle that he and a 14-year-old cousin had been looking at unexpectedly discharged. The rifle belonged to the older boy’s father. On Sunday a 5-year-old New Orleans girl shot and killed herself with a .38-caliber revolver. The girl found the gun when her mother left her alone in the house to go to the store. The mother returned to find her daughter lying on the bedroom floor, a bullet in her head. The girl died later that day.

Comment

hmm, I keep looking at this thread, then I get a terrible pain in my heart, and then spend a couple of weeks completely blotting it out of my memory, so by the time that the thread pops back up to the top again, I've completely forgotten what it is, and click in and the horrible process starts again.

I have a similar issue with the leader of the uk labour party. Right now I'm in a happy state of knowing that i don't know who it is, and why.

Comment

I have to say I agree with Berbaslug in part there. I don't forget what the thread is, but not counting my above response, there have been other occasions when I've felt it deserves replies, but haven't really known what to say. I assume ua realises this doeesn't mean no-one's paying attention to it, though.

Comment

I pay attention to it with a kind of morbid, grim fascination that there are people out there who still think all this is acceptable.

Madness.

Comment

A variation on the usual theme.

A bunch of awful xenophobes in Dalton Gardens, Idaho have banded together to sell bullets wrapped in a unique porcine coating. The goal here is for the bullets to strike fear into the hearts of Muslims who abstain from pork. The company is called "Jihawg Ammo." The tag line: "Put some HAM in Mohamed."

Comment

US children are 17 times more likely to die from a gun than children in 25 other countries combined.

Comment

So about 10,000 deaths/yr in the US? I'd suspect that most of these are older teens, with relatively few accidental discharges.

Why does Finland have 3 times the casualty rate of Sweden? Maybe a higher rate of northern/rural population, which would have more firearms?

Comment

One can download the whole report here.

The actual number is close to 2,000; note that the chart is per 100,000 "teens and children", not overall population.

For 2010 (the most recent date for detailed data), the US deaths were 66% homicide, 28% suicide, 5% accidental and 1% "undetermined". As you expected, 86% of the total are 15-19 year olds (though significantly more preschoolers were shot and killed that year than were law enforcement personnel).

Finland had 45.3 guns per 100 people; Sweden "only" 31.6; that explains some (but not all) of the difference. Finland's higher suicide rate (by all means) is also a factor.

Comment

Father of 1 year old killed in suspected attempted hit on the father refuses to speak to police

Comment

Active shooting at the Washington DC Navy Yard. Police now reporting three shooters, 10 wounded...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/liveblog/wp/2013/09/16/shooting-at-washington-navy-yard/?hpid=z2

Comment

Some still want to cling to the fantasy that being surrounded by guns will prevent shootings like this from happening:

https://twitter.com/jtlol/status/379620038354817025

Comment

College footballer star shot dead by Police in NC for 'viciously' pleading for help

Comment

Death toll in Washington now up to "at least 12" according to local police.

Comment

The Awesome Berbaslug!!! wrote:

I have a similar issue with the leader of the uk labour party. Right now I'm in a happy state of knowing that i don't know who it is, and why.
                                          Ed Miliband. The bloke with a bucket of shit permanently being thrown over him.

Who effectively vetoed a war nobody wanted, and got worse ratings than Cameron on the issue.

Comment

Trying to find the US annual gun death rates, I found this which is apposite

Comment

Apparently someone near the North Lawn fence of the White House has lit firecrackers and thrown them over the fence. They obviously sounded similar to gunshots and caused everyone to freak out.

Comment

I assume this is now an ex-someone?

Comment

No. He's been arrested, not eliminated.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X