No announcement yet.

A Well Regulated Militia . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a bad ruling. It gives conspiracy theorists a field day, as you note, and also allows privacy to be a pretext for, say, concealing evidence of a tardy police response.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
      It's a bad ruling.
      Sorry Satch, but YOU THINK?

Comment

Fortunately for you lot, I wrote a 12 paragraph 'precis' about this last night, and then deleted it, because... it's not a conspiracy, it's more about what should be allowed in the public sphere... stuff.

There is probably a really shit reason for the whole thing, but, I choose to believe that it is because the police person's family are looking for cash.

Comment

There is an active shooting, ongoing at a school in Florida. 20 injured, suspect at large.

Comment

(sound warning)

https://twitter.com/Tezlurkss/status/963877360578809856

Hours after the NRA tweeted about buying your Valentine a gun.

Still, thoughts and prayers will change everything.

Comment

What's worse is one kid tweeted that he was hiding under a desk, and locked in a classroom, and the journalistic vultures descended on his timeline, not fucking one of them spelling his name correctly, WHEN IT WAS ALREADY WRITTEN DOWN.

OK, that isn't worse.

Comment

CNN reports 16 dead

Suspect is a former student

Comment

110 miles from where I teach but it feels a lot closer, especially as I was in a classroom when the kids were dying.

It seems to have been prolonged, starting outside the school then moving inside.

This and Orlando in my state in just the last two years. But Florida will remain a pro-gun state and I know from past experience that many of my students will largely regurgitate second amendment waffle if I try to start a debate on gun laws in a lesson.

Comment

Were kids aware of it as it was happening, Satchmo? I can't imagine what it feels like to be a teacher when something like this happens.

Comment

https://twitter.com/JohnCassidy/status/963889816235540485

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                        110 miles from where I teach but it feels a lot closer, especially as I was in a classroom when the kids were dying.

It seems to have been prolonged, starting outside the school then moving inside.

This and Orlando in my state in just the last two years. But Florida will remain a pro-gun state and I know from past experience that many of my students will largely regurgitate second amendment waffle if I try to start a debate on gun laws in a lesson.
                        My "kids" are young adults, 18-21, but I feel protective of them and they are the age my children would be if I had any. I don't think they were aware as our lesson was very interactive and nobody had chance to sneak a look at a phone. Plus even in the social media age it takes a while for these stories to break.

Teachers I think may have become numbed to the fact that this is the new normal. OTOH they can kid themselves that statistically shooting deaths are still rare as a percentage of the total school population.

Comment

On the subject of the “new normal”, it has been suggested that one reason for the death toll is that the shooter had been through years of “lockdown drills” and therefore knew exactly what his classmates (and the armed police assigned to the school) would do.

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
                            I can't imagine what it feels like to be a teacher when something like this happens.
                            I heard about it on my way home from school. I feel queasy now and will feel more queasy when I see my middle school kids tomorrow. It truly, truly, truly sucks.

Tomorrow I will keep a more wary eye on kids hanging out, especially early in the morning when this shit most often happens. Some kids will ask questions, others will rashly make typical middle school stupid/macho comments. The district office will send some emails re: reminders of lockdowns and procedures which I will look over, and then delete.

Recently we've spent thousands of bucks re-doing locks and doors and while I understand why in today's screwed up gun mania culture, it still pisses me off that we can go w/out a raise for years, but somehow huge amounts of $$$ show up to improve security all over the school. Feel for rookie teachers - glad I do not have to do this for that many more years.

Comment

Typically insightful comments from many posters here. And you're going to need to fight for your views because the US has lost its collective mind on guns.

Even yesterday, as a student described the suspect as a school shooter waiting to happen, as a parent went to see if his children were among the dead, the same parent is quoted in The Guardian as saying "we need to stop school shootings but what can you do? I don't want the government taking my guns."

As usual now is not the time to talk about it, just offer thoughts and prayers which none of them mean. A ruling class of politicians who never fail to push the lowest common denominator easy answer on every other issue somehow find this incredibly complex. But if things weren't going to change after Sandy Hook then they never were.

Comment

Columbine no longer makes the top ten

Comment

We've got two in the top 10.

Dunblane (18, 1996)
                                  Hungerford (16, 1987)

At the time they happened, hardly any US spree shootings were worse.

Comment

I'm guessing that the Alt-Right are saying "Look over there, London, knives, Sadiq Khan".

Comment

Silly boy

It's obviously not the time to do anything other than offer thoughts and prayers

Comment

But imagine if even 0.1% of those knifers owned the kind of guns that are commonplace in the US.

Comment

For years now, the Onion has run this article after mass shootings: ‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens, with the article updated to reflect the details and location of the latest example of mass gun violence. The writer of the original headline tweeted this yesterday:

https://twitter.com/jasonroeder/status/963976307879985152

Comment

Showtime aired a documentary series about mass shootings last fall, Active Shooter, featuring interviews with survivors, police and EMTs, members of the communities, and family members of the victims and, in the case of the Washington Navy Yard, the shooter himself. It debuted on September 29, and then two of the five worst massacres occurred during the 8-week run.

Comment

With this on the front page it might be as much as a week before they can move forward with the plan for concealed carry to be allowed over state lines.

Comment

You can prove anything with facts https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/07/w...rnational.html

Comment

The simple truth is that anyone who opposes stricter controls on gun sales and ownership is actively lobbying for the murder of children.

Comment

I corresponded a couple of years ago with this bloke, who writes a lot about the subject. Helpful bloke.

https://law.stanford.edu/2015/10/12/...make-us-safer/

Edit- ignore the preview of the URL! He's one of the good guys.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X