Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's a good law for Sikhs.

Comment

I really wouldn't advise carrying a sword while turbaned in Texas.

Comment

I don't know, those chaps don't fuck about. They scared off the 2011 rioters. Or the rioters weren't interested in looting Sikh temples, depending on your point of view.

Comment

The rioters weren't carrying AK-47s

Comment

I think any minority in these times owns its weapons in an awareness that the police and courts was automatically favour their white opponent, and strategize accordingly. The alternative of "not owning any weapons" is not truly an option for them, and not one I would ask them to do as I am not in their position.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
              Texas allows open carry of swords, axes, ninja throwing stars, etc.
              We also consider a sword to be superior to a firearm in dis-arming an opponent, with options to dis-arm at the wrist, elbow, shoulder, or anywhere in between.
              Christ on a bike. Is it just me or does that hyphen – in this context of "dis-arming" at the wrists, elbows and shoulders – make those suggestions sound extremely, bloodily, literal?

Comment

Georgia Tech police shot dead a mentally disturbed person carrying a knife. Apparently they were neither trained properly for such a scenario nor carrying less lethal means of force.

Comment

That story just keeps getting more disturbing.

Originally they said he had a gun, then a knife, and now it appears to have been an unopened multi-tool (a sort of American Swiss Army Knife)

It is especially distressing that this was a university police force. In my time, such forces saw their remit as doing their best to protect their charges from over-enthusiastic city police.

Comment

Yes, if it happened at the places I teach, I'd have a hard time driving to work without severe emotional conflict, and I'd hope that some faculty would register protest, even dissent.

Comment

Yesterday's school shooting, yet another one with a domestic violence connection.

Rampaging through a small Northern California town, a gunman took aim on Tuesday at people at an elementary school and several other locations, killing at least four and wounding at least 10 before he was fatally shot by the police, the local sheriff’s office said.

There were at least seven separate shooting scenes in or near Rancho Tehama Reserve, an unincorporated community of about 1,500 people, Phil Johnston, assistant sheriff of Tehama County, told reporters. The gunman, later identified as Kevin Janson Neal, 44, entered the elementary school but was unable to get into the classrooms because school officials had heard gunshots outside the building and locked the doors, he said.

Comment

Trump has now deleted his totally heartfelt tweet, in which he sent condolences to Texas after this shooting in California.

Comment

Three dead at New Mexico high school.

Comment

"Prank goes wrong" - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-c...alflow_twitter

Comment

I really hate this thread. Nothing good comes out of it. But, it must continue.

Comment

Fucking hell. to do that trick, you're supposed to use a dinky little saturday night special and a big telephone directory, Not a fucking 50 caliber Monstrosity that needs to be moved from place to place in a wheelbarrow, and a 200 page hardback. Its not the fucking cardboard that stops the bullet, it's the hundreds and hundreds of pages. I think it's very clear that they didn't do a trial run

Comment

A fucking Desert Eagle, Jesus Christ. And in front of their kid.

Firearms and stupidity is a horrible combination.

Comment

There is a bit of hearsay from a friend of mine whose family live in Jacksonville. Apparently, they qualified for the football, so the whole town/city/local area, are pissed/drunk as fuck, and when that happens, they shoot guns. So, 8 traffic signals were brought down.

I love Florida.

Comment

Congratulations America, the GOP, Trump, and the NRA.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/12/3....google.co.uk/

(Next door county to Columbine High School, or certainly in the greater Denver area, if I'm not mistaken)

Comment

Highlands Ranch is essentially adjacent to Columbine.

Aurora is about 15 miles north.
                                        Last edited by ursus arctos; 31-12-2017, 16:48.

Comment

I wouldn't draw any particular conclusions from that. Gun laws in Colorado may be lax, but I don't think they're especially so by US standards. Denver is a big city with a lot of poorly planned sprawl, and that's the kind of place where young men are more likely to be angry, alienated, and unnoticed, but lots of our cities are like that.

Comment

Second school shooting so far this week.

Yesterday's

It's Tuesday

Comment

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/956134565176905728

Yes, that is 11 in first 23 days of January 2018 (a number of which were not school days)

Comment

I read and hear about shootings every week in Las Vegas, but that number is utterly astounding.

Comment

The American Right are looking away, mostly at knife crime in London. I wonder why that could be.

Comment

Via our Vegas Correspondent

A judge on Friday ordered the Las Vegas Review-Journal and The Associated Press to destroy their copies of an autopsy report for an Oct. 1 mass shooting victim, siding with the privacy concerns of the victim’s widow.
                                                    I don’t know what they are hiding, but they are clearly hiding something

Comment

Working...
                                                    X