A Well Regulated Militia . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ed Miliband. The bloke with a bucket of shit permanently being thrown over him.

Who effectively vetoed a war nobody wanted, and got worse ratings than Cameron on the issue.
    Well he vetoed the thing for tawdry party political gain after promising his support beforehand.

Comment

He never really vetoed the war, did he? He instigated a further step before a war that nobody wanted. He wasn't exactly Harold Wilson

Comment

The shooter's got lots of previous. This will be a hard one for the NRA to shake off, not that they won't try.

Comment

I detest the word "shooter" (no offence Satchmo76). It's like something from a Chuck Norris/Golan-Globus movie. It now appears entirely to have superseded the much more sensible "gunman".

Some cretins are trying to link this thing to the current and ongoing Grand Theft Auto 5 mania. Were that the case, Japan -- the most video game-crazy country there is -- would be witnessing one of these massacres every week. Of course, Japan has one of the tightest gun control regimes on the planet.

Comment

I don't mind 'shooter' when it refers to the gunman, but can't stand it when people use it to refer to a gun.

Comment

WOM wrote: I don't mind 'shooter' when it refers to the gunman, but can't stand it when people use it to refer to a gun.
              It's like when people call a bike a "steed."

Comment

People do that?

I know that everyone is referring to runners/sneakers/trainers as 'kicks' now, and that's driving me just a bit mental.

Comment

Who knows how many women have been discouraged by the sexist term "gunman" from participating in their fair share of horrific violence. Check your male privilege.

Comment

Do I call this a return to normal programming?

Child killed during gun 'play':
                    http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/laporte/michigan-city/official--year-old-boy-killed-during-gun-related-game/article_0191550e-2ad6-56b3-98b9-a12b11c8ab4f.html

Comment

WOM wrote: People do that?
                      I only learned about it in one of the bike threads in Sport, and then I joined a bike forum online, and I've seen it used non-ironically there.

Comment

Shooter gets 111 million Google hits versus 12.3 million for gunman.

Comment

I wonder how many of those are references to "first person shooter" video games.

Comment

AB2 wrote: ...Golan-Globus movie.
                            I remember going to a much-anticipated movie in the late '80s, and when the Cannon Pictures logo came up in the credits, everyone in the audience groaned.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: I wonder how many of those are references to "first person shooter" video games.
                              Is this some kind of crafty social media campaign for GTA-V?

Comment

Not a first person shooter.

Comment

WOM wrote:
                                  Originally posted by AB2
                                  ...Golan-Globus movie.
                                  I remember going to a much-anticipated movie in the late '80s, and when the Cannon Pictures logo came up in the credits, everyone in the audience groaned.
                                  "Hey, martial arts fans...are you ready to get your guts kicked out? Well get ready--the Cannon Group has just given you a dare!"

Comment

Ginger Yellow wrote: Not a first person shooter.
                                    Displayed my ignorance there, didn't I? What is it? And have you played it yet? It's getting stellar reviews.

Comment

God, I want to play GTA V so badly. But I have no time and a lot of other priorities. Besides, I don't even have a newer game console (I'm assuming there's not a PS2 version). I'm of the opinion that GTA: San Andreas is one of the greatest works of pop culture about Los Angeles and California. The screenshots that I've seen of actual places in LA in the games are incredible.

Comment

Bioshock Infinite is finally out for Mac, but I'll bet my system is so old/weak/overburdened that it won't run it.

Comment

What is it? And have you played it yet? It's getting stellar reviews.
                                          Open world game. Alternatively third person action. It's installing as I type.

Comment

Besides, I don't even have a newer game console (I'm assuming there's not a PS2 version).
                                            Dude, the Xbox 360 came out in 2005. It's older than the iPhone.

Comment

I was a poor graduate student until 2007, and then my daughter was born. No time for games. I'm mostly content to continue playing CM 01/02 until the end of time.

Comment

I bought Grand Theft Auto Vice City for my brother when it came out, and tried playing it once myself on his PlayStation. It was a deeply unrewarding experience for me. I'm a child of the 1980s and was always used to simple joystick/trigger set-ups. The PS controls simply had too many buttons for me to be able to play properly -- any time I tried to pull out a weapon, I'd be spending five or ten seconds trying to find the right button to press while, on-screen, my character was getting riddled with bullets.

I ended up simply driving aimlessly around town and listening to the various music stations, but there's only so long you can do that for before you get bored. I could probably have got used to the controls if I'd devoted hours to the thing, but I couldn't keep going over to the family house all the time just to play a video game.

Comment

Holy fuck one of the radio stations is just Soulwax. I love this game already.

Comment

I'm just a few hours in and have barely scratched the surface, but I can definitely report that it is awesome. As I was hoping, they've swung things back to the GTA San Andreas model - the RPG-lite mechanics are back, and it's much quicker to get into the swing of things and let you play around than GTA IV was. Also, after discovering the Soulwax radio station, the next station I turned to was playing NWA, which brought back some serious San Andreas memories. The realisation of Los Santos is just amazing, though I am constantly thinking as I often do with console exclusive games these days how much better it would look on my PC. There's not quite as much of a visual wow factor as GTA IV had, but mainly because I'm much more familiar with New York than I am with LA, so there was a much higher density of recognisable landmarks, streets and topography. The improvement over GTA San Andreas's Los Santos is spectacular. The city is vast, too - I haven't even ventured out into the countryside yet.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X