A Well Regulated Militia . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The GTA games have never been about cutting edge visuals and maximising the potential of the hardware, but they've done a fantastic job here: the game world looks absolutely stunning. They've learnt a lot of lessons on creating huge vistas from Red Dead Redemption and the weather and night/day transitions are sumptuous.

The sheer diversity of the world now is incredible but all of these fantastic buildings and installations sort of encourage you to want to explore them. So far at least though there doesn't seem to be much reward in terms of locations with interiors or pick-ups to be found.

I think the ability to switch between the stories and missions of the different protagonists is very well done but it doesn't take you long to realise that at its heart there's not a huge amount that advances the series. It's all polish and tightening and making the thing much more cinematic.

As an aside I find the wanted level and police pursuit quite harsh. I punched a character and that was enough to get me a police star even though there were none in site. Just trying to evade them raised my wanted level to 2 stars and police cars were smashing into me at speed like maniacs.

There's a lot of bare breasts in the game for the first time which I'm mentioning because of a tweet I saw last night: 'OMG, GTAV has REAL tits!!!'

Comment

dalliance wrote: There's a lot of bare breasts in the game for the first time which I'm mentioning because of a tweet I saw last night: 'OMG, GTAV has REAL tits!!!'
      There was some child on PM last night trying to convince the listenership that this game is a breakthrough into the world outside of single males. Sounds like it...

Comment

They've learnt a lot of lessons on creating huge vistas from Red Dead Redemption and the weather and night/day transitions are sumptuous
        Yeah, I didn't mention it in my post but they've clearly upgraded the lighting substantially. Sunsets and dawns look spectacular and the city takes on a whole different feel at different times of day.

As Dalliance says, though, it's still very much a GTA game. They're not turning the series into Skyrim or anything like that. Buildings are decoration for the most part and your interactions with the world are strictly regimented (in the context of an open world of course).

As an aside I find the wanted level and police pursuit quite harsh. I punched a character and that was enough to get me a police star even though there were none in site. Just trying to evade them raised my wanted level to 2 stars and police cars were smashing into me at speed like maniacs.
        I didn't find it any more harsh than the previous games. In fact, now that the cop cars have vision cones, it's easier to escape by hiding in an alley.

Comment

Do you still have to go back to where you started if you fail a mission and do all that boring driving about stuff again before you get back to where you were?

If so, I'm out.

Comment

There are in-mission checkpoints, but I'm not sure how good they are yet - in GTA IV they were hit and miss, though on a second attempt you could jump to the start of the mission proper rather than driving even if you hadn't hit a checkpoint. I've only failed one mission so far (semi-deliberately to hear some ambient dialogue). The checkpoint for that one was just where you'd want it to be.

Comment

This thread's taken an unexpected turn

Comment

A curious headline in The Scotsman today:

'Grand Theft Auto V: Hawick fury at game inclusion'

Rockstar have named one of the druggy districts of Los Santos after the small Borders town. Predictably councillors are ''shocked and outraged.' Everyone is shocked and outraged by everything these days.

Comment

While I obviously don't subscribe to the "video games cause murders" school of thought, I wonder if it might be discussed on a better thread.

Comment

Detailed New York Times investigation reveals systematic under-reporting of accidental shootings of children.

Cases like these are among the most gut-wrenching of gun deaths. Children shot accidentally — usually by other children — are collateral casualties of the accessibility of guns in America, their deaths all the more devastating for being eminently preventable.

They die in the households of police officers and drug dealers, in broken homes and close-knit families, on rural farms and in city apartments. Some adults whose guns were used had tried to store them safely; others were grossly negligent. Still others pulled the trigger themselves, accidentally fracturing their own families while cleaning a pistol or hunting.

And there are far more of these innocent victims than official records show.

Comment

In Bexar County, Tex., for example, the medical examiner’s office issued a finding of homicide in the death of William Reddick, a 9-month-old who was accidentally killed on May 17, 1999, when his 2-year-old brother opened a dresser drawer while in the crib with him, grabbed a pistol and pulled the trigger.
                      What kind of moron keeps a loaded gun in a dresser next to a baby's crib without at least having a trigger lock on it?

Comment

Every one of the stories in that piece breaks my heart.

The kids never had a chance.

Comment

It's very sad. It's also very sad that some people don't seem to learn any lessons from what happens to others. You can't fix stupid, as they say.

Comment

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/arizona-woman-dies-after-being-accidentally-shot-while-hugging-boyfriend-police-say

Comment

That poor guy must be distraught.

I'm willing to bet he's not distraught enough to stop carrying a fucking gun though.

Comment

According to her website, U.S. Rep. Renee Ellmers "believes that gun owners must be responsible for the use and care of their guns." Maybe she should listen to her own advice.

An AR-15 rifle was reportedly stolen from her home last week after the family returned from a target-shooting excursion. According to the New Observer, the gun had been left next to a gun locker in the family's unlocked garage. Said Police Chief J.D. Pope, "They had been out target shooting and brought the gun back and leaned it against the gun safe… The garage door was left unsecured, according to the report.”

Comment

Couple of headlines on the BBC:

Nevada student kills teacher in deadly school shooting

And then a couple of days later:

Boy carrying replica gun shot dead by California police

Words fail me. This is all too sad.

Comment

Shoot to kill children, what the fuck.

Comment

5 year old kills himself with babysitter's gun while babysitter sleeps

Comment

Jesus fucking Christ. Someone please reassure me that this is not legal.

Comment

From what I can tell, it isn't legal, because Texas is not a true "open carry" state (which surprises me).

And that's before one gets to the question of whether such a display violates local law on "menacing" or whatever the Texas equivalent is.

That said, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a prosecution.

Comment

I know ursus already knows about this, but I thought I would share it--a kid was shot at Bryant Park this weekend over a coat. A fucking coat. At Bryant Park. Nowhere is safe any more.

Comment

Apologies if this has been discussed before but this story from a couple of months ago is probably the maddest gun related thing I have seen.

Comment

That's crazy talk.

Comment

Reports of a man with a gun on the Yale campus.

Comment

Lots of conflicting reports at the moment. A number of headlines that the report has been "confirmed", and yet the police just said that they have yet to see anyone with a gun (though they have arrested someone without one).

The campus is still on lockdown.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X