Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's get fracking!

I wouldn't have thought so.

Spain is the most GMO mad country. They seem to have managed to keep their premium gastronomy going at the same time.

Comment

Let's get fracking!

Industry funded report says let's frack.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/sep/16/shale-gas-fracking-go-ahead-in-uk-says-taskforce

Though to be fair, the chairman says no tax breaks are needed.

Comment

Let's get fracking!

Kind of like the industry funded reports that say that GMOs are awesome?

Comment

Let's get fracking!

I have no faith in humanity to ever make the right decision. Precedent is simply against it. Whilst fucking scum like Gideon have their hand on the tiller, the environment will keep taking them for the team, time and again.

Comment

Let's get fracking!

Frack the National Parks!

Comment

Let's get fracking!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-37567866

Fracking c*nts.

Comment

Let's get fracking!

Apparently listening to the public doesn't extend to the environment.

Comment

Let's get fracking!

Or anything else decided democratically by the local Government, probably.

On the BBC 5L this morning, local Green councillor Gina Dowding was given the chance to put the case against. Fair dos to Nicky Jambo.

Especially as she was followed almost immediately by fellow Green hack and performance poet Spoz, who read a rather moving elegy to the Lickey Hills and watching football at St Andrews.

Comment

Let's get fracking!

Etienne wrote: Apparently listening to the public doesn't extend to the environment.
                    It does with wind turbines.

Fylde doesn't sound to me like those desolate places David Howell recommended for fracking.

Comment

Let's get fracking!

I remember early Coalition there was talk about giving incredibly small areas planning vetoes. I think his civil servants distracted him with talk of councils banning Christmas, and it was dropped.

Comment

Let's get fracking!

Brexit means Brexit. And saying "oh, god, yes" to any morally dubious company that proposes to throw money at us. Now, be a good citizen and bend over.

Comment

Fracking protesters jailed.

Comment

It's going well...

Comment

One thing I have wondered of late is whether mining and quarrying causes tremors? Anyone know and whether these tremors are of a similar strength?

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                                One thing I have wondered of late is whether mining and quarrying causes tremors? Anyone know and whether these tremors are of a similar strength?
                                To be fair (need one be?) to Cuadrilla, the recent tremors recorded at the site are the level one might expect from someone starting a Subaru Imprezza down the road. However you would be worried if that was going to just build and build or suddenly go bang (sinkholes anyone?) so I think it's great that the authorities have set a "whoo, hang on" limit to operations here.

Comment

Oh, I know that we have much stricter levels for frackers to work to than other countries - Cuadrilla are always banging on about it - and, likewise, agree with you that it is good that this is the case. However, this is why I was wondering what the thresholds were for quarrying, mining and, also, gas drilling which I would have thought would be larger.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                                    Oh, I know that we have much stricter levels for frackers to work to than other countries - Cuadrilla are always banging on about it - and, likewise, agree with you that it is good that this is the case. However, this is why I was wondering what the thresholds were for quarrying, mining and, also, gas drilling which I would have thought would be larger.
                                    We don't have "stricter levels for fracking to work to than other countries". Bulgaria France Germany and Ireland have banned it entirely.

Comment

18 tremors in 12 days...

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...illa-blackpool

Comment

Fracking is utterly ludicrous in inhabited areas (and that's before we get into the climate change questions). But, really, let's actually point out why it's bad, rather than create scare stories out of bullshit. Richter 0.8 tremors are so small that they release 100 time less energy than the smallest quake you can feel. My next door neighbour will feel my farts the same way that he feels a 0.8 quake.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                                          We don't have "stricter levels for fracking to work to than other countries". Bulgaria France Germany and Ireland have banned it entirely.
                                          Good point, well made.

Comment

They're getting stronger...

Comment

"Like dropping a melon". Or not...

Comment

As posted on the Procycling thread:

"Team Sky to change to Team INEOS at the Tour de Yorkshire, a race run in partnership with the Yorkshire tourism agency.

Irony is dead."

Comment

I see Cumbrian County councillors have approved a new coal mine because jobs.

A. Fucking. Coal .Fucking. Mine.

Unanimously, so that's Lib Dems and Labour as well as Tory.

What the actual fuck?

Comment

Proper jobs. Hovis jobs. Working with your hands. Dignity. The science of pits. Fucking Thatcher. A dildo in Thatcher's dead arse.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X