X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let the silly season begin

Radamel Falcao agrees €60m deal with Monaco [La Sexta report]

I thought this was going to be a thread about Hartlepool sacking John Hughes. Bizarre decision.

Comment

Fussbudget wrote: I thought this was going to be a thread about Hartlepool sacking John Hughes. Bizarre decision.
      He'd lost the dressing room after the board asked him about the new away kit and he suggested that the players would look pretty in pink.

Comment

Either that or his frankly wasteful suggestion of travelling to away games by air, rail and road.

Comment

Have they agreed to let monaco into the top division? I thought that the other clubs weren't going to let monaco in until they joined the other clubs in paying tax.

Comment

The Awesome Berbaslug!!! wrote: Have they agreed to let monaco into the top division? I thought that the other clubs weren't going to let monaco in until they joined the other clubs in paying tax.
            What's the story there? Seems difficult and strange the league could decide on a country's tax system.

Comment

well they can join monaco's league if they don't like it.

Comment

The figure they have to pay in taxes to continue in the French League is apparently 200 million euros.

Marcotti wrote an interesting piece on this sort of thing a few months back and it highlighted another angle where the FFP rules fall over under scrutiny. Because of the vastly different levels of taxes and employers contributions in place around the many UEFA nations, so the cost to employ a player differs enormously.

He used the example of Zlatan Ibrahimovic and how much it costs a club to pay him the 15m euros he reportedly earns at PSG at the moment.

Monaco 15m euros
                Russia 19.5m euros
                England 30m euros
                France 60m euros

It's ironic that Platini's rules screw over French clubs more than any other and through no fault of their own either.

Comment

I was only asking.
                  (Edit: to Berba)
                  The league doesn't have a tax system, France does.
                  If the club Monaco is registered in Monaco but the league decides for the club to join the French league because of some higher profile it would gain, I can't see how the league can force the same tax regulations or would want to if they're eager for Monaco to be part of it in the first place.

If I compare with NHL, I can't see the league all of a sudden demanding that Calgary Flames follow the same ta regulations as the owners of Los Angeles Kings if they've been following Candian and American tax laws respectively.

So I was wondering who's making the demand for Monaco and why?

Comment

What's actually surprising is that it has taken decades for a proper stand to be made against the inherent advantage Monaco have had with offering tax free salaries.

It has retail parallels with Amazon who base themselves offshore and pay no UK tax, yet gain access to our market and compete against UK based concerns who do have to pay tax.

Comment

dalliance wrote: The figure they have to pay in taxes to continue in the French League is apparently 200 million euros.
                      I'm genuinly interested here, who is demanding this? French FA or France? How much of a say do UEFA have over this if it's France, not French FA and the government want to force Monaco to pay or be thrown out?

And thank you for the numbers. I don't know how many times I've had to explain to people that when transfer sums are thrown around for a player it's not as easy as a look at the fee and the salary flying about in tabloids.
                      Do you have numbers for more countries?

Comment

dalliance wrote: What's actually surprising is that it has taken decades for a proper stand to be made against the inherent advantage Monaco have had with offering tax free salaries.
                        And it's of less importance now since the Champions League is taking over as the yearly major. As unfair as it is between Monaco and say PSG, it is between Russia and France.
                        Well, not in exact proportion but generally.

Comment

After nearly being relegated to the third tier last season, they've finally won promotion back to Ligue 1 this weekend.

Comment

Comes from within the bowels of Mike Ashley HQ, must be true.

Is he that desperate to sell season tickets to fucking thick cunts or what?

Comment

Auxerre and France U21 striker Yaya Sanogo to Arsenal is being widely reported this morning.

Comment

If that doesn't happen, I claim dibs on being first to say The Yaya deal - its a no go!

Comment

Monaco sues to prevent the French league from forcing it to move its headquarters to France (in French)

Comment

Swansea expected to bring in about six players, didn't think we needed that many.

Comment

Will FFP face a European court challenge?

Comment

kevchenko wrote: Auxerre and France U21 striker Yaya Sanogo to Arsenal is being widely reported this morning.
                                        When I checked Wikipedia (yesterday or the day before) he was already listed as an Arsenal player.

Comment

Or maybe a £54m move to Man City.

Comment

Apparently we've half a dozen "bargains" ready to sign on the dotted line already.

Valentin Roberge (Maritimo). French centre half.
                                            Mobido Diakite (Lazio). French centre half.
                                            Diogo Viana (Penafiel). Portugese winger, ex Sporting & Porto.
                                            El Hadji Ba (Le Havre) French midfielder.

Ive never heard of any of them. Anyone?

Comment

I think the last one is pronounced El Heid-the-Ba. Will get on well with your 'passionate' manager.

Comment

Peter Crouch has been viewing houses in the Esher/Claygate area.

As Chelsea seems improbable I guess he is talking to Fulham or, perhaps more likely, another reunion with Redknapp at QPR and another return to a former club.

Comment

Those Sunderland targets are definitely on the obscure side:

Roberge: Guingamp youth product, didn't make it at PSG. Reasonably established at Maritimo.

Diakite: After being a semi-regular for Lazio last season, played only one game in the Coppa Italia this season.

Viana: Porto youth product playing in the Portuguese second tier. Not Hugo Viana.

Ba: a dozen appearances in the French second division.

I'm a bit surprised to see that they don't share an agent.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X