Bullshit meter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bullshit meter

Can we integrate this into the WSC board software? http://www.blablameter.com/index.php

Bullshit meter

The Book of Revelation measured a 0.05 ("no or marginal indications of "bullshit"-English").

I think it might need calibrating.

Comment

Bullshit meter

It's kind of annoying that it won't tell you where or what it's picking up on.

Comment

Bullshit meter

My resumé rated 0.09 and contained 'no, or marginal indications of bullsh*t English'.

I must be slipping.

Comment

Bullshit meter

Something's getting a bit fishy. You probably want to sell something, or you're trying to impress somebody. It still may be an acceptable result for a scientific text.
          0.46 for my C.V.

That's a bit of a worry, what with my impending redundancy and everything. I've just sent it out to four potential employers and made a conscious effort to strip out anything that I thought looked like flannel, too.

Comment

Bullshit meter

I wouldn't lay too much store in this. I strongly suspect its definition of 'bullshit' is simply the use of technical words, without any understanding of context they have been used in.

For example, this recent post of mine rates as indications of bullshit. Rewording it without methadology, co-efficient, perspective and projection reduces the score to nearly 0.

These are all words that get misused by buisness guru types, but their mere presence shouldn't be a flag on its own. Actively avoiding them when their usage would be accurate wouldn't be removing bullshit, it would simply add waffle.

I can see why they warn scientists about putting their writing through their website. It would be specatuclarly ineffective.

Comment

Bullshit meter

Janik, that last post from you 'shows indications of 'bullshit'-English. It's still ok for PR or advertising purposes, but more critical audiences may be skeptical.'

Comment

Bullshit meter

I entered something I'm forced to write at work, which is the sort of rubbish for which tools like that thing are invented. It was adjudged to be virtually bullshit-free.

I then entered something I'd written that had been published in a halfway reputable magazine and had nothing to do with my job. Apparently, it's worse than the streets of Pamplona after the encierro.

Looks like I'm going to have to stick to the day job after all.

Comment

Bullshit meter

I stuck in a poem I wrote about 30 years ago.

I broke the website.

Comment

Bullshit meter

I put in part of an article I'm writing for the next WSC. It scored 0.22. Should I be worried?

Comment

Bullshit meter

Don't worry Amor, I don't think that's cause for concern, indeed it sounds pretty decent and a few under par for the course of an average issue. Just tried inputting my last post on the boards and got a 0.1: "Your text shows only a few indications of 'bullshit'-English". Admittedly I responded by name to previous poster ad hoc, so it probably pulled me up for gratuitous use of Latin...

Comment

Bullshit meter

Gerontophile wrote: I stuck in a poem I wrote about 30 years ago.

I broke the website.
                        What did you expect? Glesga poetry is worse than Vogon poetry

Comment

Bullshit meter

I put in part of an article I'm writing for the next WSC. It scored 0.22. Should I be worried?
                          Well if it was an article about QPR, I'd imagine the bullshit meter just had to pick up on the words 'Harry Redknapp' for the lights to flash...

Comment

Working...
                          X