Technology that makes me feel incredibly old

Comment

More Oculus Rift awesomeness

Comment

Comment

The Cloud. Always mentioned, yet I never get the meaning, or comprehend what it might be. Yes, I'll look it up on the internet when I'm bothered, but it's one of those terms that makes me think 'yeah, passage of time, technology moves on, nothing to see here, etc.'

Comment

Oh, right, 'a wireless network operator'. Well that fairly dull mystery's cleared up, then.

Comment

The way to tell if someone was born in the pre-internet period is to see if they are wearing wrist-watches.

My kids were born in 1999, and they have no use for them, neither do any of their class-mates. These things are as alien to them as the concepts of text-books, libraries, telephone boxes and 'I've missed my favourite T.V. show'.

Comment

I was born in the pre-internet period and I haven't bothered replacing my watch since my last one broke about 6 years ago.

Comment

I feel reasonably ancient when someone younger than me labels any film from the early '80's as 'that old film', in pretty much the same way I labelled any film from the 40's/50's when a teen myself.

Comment

Ah, technology, sorry, not 'things/experiences that make you feel old'. Bloody hell, it doesn't take much to make me feel ninety-odd anyway.

Comment

Ginger Yellow wrote: I was born in the pre-internet period and I haven't bothered replacing my watch since my last one broke about 6 years ago.
                      A few years back, when we still had such things, I went to an -athon at the Kings Arms in Roupell Street; I think that it was for an Ad Hoc visit. Anyway, there were a few of us there; between eight and ten I think. (Including some who won't talk to us anymore, however I digress.) Andy C and I were probably the eldest, but everyone was at least thirty.

And only I was wearing a wristwatch. I can't remember why I noticed it, but it struck me as being very odd.

Comment

For most of my life I never wore a wristwatch, but for the past dozen years or so I have. It's a coincidence (it was a present), not a contrarian choice. Odd though.

Can't be doing with most tech toys, but the stuff that helps me actually do things — like produce a book, or design a font — is amazing. For instance I discovered Cindex this week, what a blast.

Comment

For whatever reason, I really need to know what time it is when I need to know what time it is. I think it's down to being really anal about not being late.

Anyway, if I'm on my bike and can't get my sleeve up to check my watch, I'll try to look at someone's wristwatch or radio clock in the car stopped next to me. I probably look like a bit of an idiot doing it.

Comment

I can't imagine not wearing a watch. How do you know which way is left?

Comment

I still have a casette player in my car. The newest tape I have is Zooropa by U2. I do actually still have a CD to tape recorder on an old hi-fi system (remember them?) but I expect it's impossible to buy blank casettes nowadays even if I wanted to record any.

Comment

You'd be surprised. I was at a store yesterday and saw a bin of blank VHS tapes for sale.

There's a whole conversation amongst old people: what was your preferred brand of cassette for mix tapes?

I was a TDK D90 man. A box of 10 was around $15.99, but that was good money back then...etc..

Comment

Ooh yes, D90s all the way, though I can't remember what I paid for a pack. The Samsung stereo I use now is the same one as I was using then, which I got for my 16th birthday in 1995, i.e. more than half my life ago now: radio, twin cassette decks and CD player. One tape pause button is a bit buggered but otherwise absolutely fine. Weirdly, it still looks fine too, with its elegant curved outline; i.e. there's nothing inherently 'dated' about the styling (other than having cassette decks; or, let's face it in this day and age, a CD player, hah) — have always figured that I was lucky to acquire it at the precise point where consumer goods manufacturers had worked out what looks relatively 'timelessly' good after the oh-so-specific-to-their-times looks of so much '70s and '80s stuff, whereas if I'd been in the market for one perhaps only a year earlier it would have looked dated long since.

Meanwhile, I stopped wearing a wristwatch in about 1998, weirdly, which must've put me ahead of the curve on that front if what others have been saying of the yoof of today is correct...?

Comment

I used TDK SA90s in the main.
                                    That and Maxell XLII S90s.

Comment

I can't imagine not wearing a watch. How do you know which way is left?
                                      In (almost) the words of my mother, it's the other right.

Comment

SA90s were the most desirable item to shoplift during that short phase in my teens. Seemed so expensive, I swear it was just short of a fiver for one, and you needed new ones constantly.

I still use VHS to record football, though not the teams I follow, I'll get up at the crack of the dawn to watch them live. Still have a tube TV. And I'd wear a wrist watch if it didn't need fixing.

Comment

My brother owns a Pubco, and had to deal with a member of staff who had slipped on the wet floor when closing up the pub and broken her foot. A quick skip through the security recordings on his iPhone, showed she did it 2 hours after she claimed by falling off the bar while dancing on it! Scared me a bit, but just goes to show how much people bullshit.

Comment

The oppression of Glass Explorers begins.

Comment

at law keeps people safe. Roads are safer when people aren't distracted and watching television broadcasts while navigating the 405. But the law, in this age of Google Glass, is also vague, since you no longer need a monitor or video screen to watch television or operate "entertainment of business application" anymore.
                                              Google Glass is a monitor or video screen.

Comment

Google Glass sex

http://www.glassandsex.com/

Comment

As a child in the 1970s I sent off in my comic for a pair of those glasses that were meant to allow you to see through peoples' clothes. Lot of crap. Only when Google fine tune this technology will I consider buying Glass.

Comment

Out of interest, what could you actually see through them?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X