Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Technology that makes me feel incredibly old

Yeah, that sort of thing.

My mind is wandering a bit today, to tell you the truth.

Comment

Try a reboot.

Comment

Ha!

Comment

I've read about these glasses in three different articles and I still don't get what the bloody revolution is. Yeah, I must be old.

Comment

Stumpy Pepys wrote:
            Although to be really really good, you'd need to use it in combination with some sort of omnidirectional treadmill, so you can run about and shit.
            I was with you up to "you can run about" but personally I would stop at that.

Comment

Those would be very special glasses indeed.

Comment

What do they do that hand-held devices don't? I would think the appeal of a phone (a model people have been using for a century or so) was that you take it away from your head when you're not using it. Having glasses stuck to your head the whole time, or feeling like a plum cause you're talking to yourself or twitching your head like a lunatic to operate your glasses that only do the same thing as a phone, well - that's not such an appealing thing for most people, is it. They could be the new Bluetooth ear piece in that respect.

Not to knock these things - I'm sure they're very good for doing whatever the hell it is they do - but this crisp ten pound not says they won't be big with normal people.

The first thing that occurred to me on seeing the ad was: people are going to record their dying moments in really tragic circumstances. The second thing was: who wants to live in an episode of Peep Show?

Comment

Beyond the video recording/streaming thing, which is going to be something of a niche application I'd have thought, I've not seen any particular reason to use, let alone buy them. They don't even have a cellular radio, just WiFi and Bluetooth, so they're considerably less useful than handheld devices. In theory people will be able to come up with augmented reality type applications for them, but people have been writing augmented reality software for years and it's basically all rubbish or a novelty. There's no particular reason to think that's going to change just because of some new hardware. And the Google Goggles app works OK for some very limited applications - eg rough and ready OCR - but not nearly well enough to justify spending a grand, or any amount of money, on hardware for it.

Comment

feeling like a plum cause you're talking to yourself or twitching your head like a lunatic to operate your glasses that only do the same thing as a phone, well - that's not such an appealing thing for most people, is it.
                    I fear you're being somewhat overly optimistic here; if there's one thing the cellphone hordes have taught us, shambling about like zombies staring into their palms and/or bellowing into headsets, it's that most people have no issues whatsoever in looking like rude, clueless idiots.

No, most people will eventually have these for the same reason (amongst many others) most Russian cars have dash-cams. You're looking at The Future, and there's little we can do about it.

Comment

Ah, but those people are already acting the goat on fairly old-fashioned hardware. The ones who talk shit all day long with one earphone in while holding a handset out put me in mind of these things:

They could easily use headsets like people in call centres, but that never took off. Probably because people don't want to walk around with something clamped to their head, or which would wear out and break fairly quickly if you kept putting it on and swiping it off in a hurry all day long. That applies double to Google glasses, because they're in your line of vision and make you look like a speccy four-eyes glasses-wearer instead of a cool cat like me.

It's just too much of an investment for most people, I think. Like a lot Google's ventures, the possibilities are impressive but they don't have a strong idea of what people would actually use the technology for.

Comment

They could easily use headsets like people in call centres, but that never took off.

You clearly live in a happier, more civilized land than i; plenty of headset folk around here, babbling into thin air -- as the hardware gets steadily smaller, the only way you can tell them from the schizophrenics is that they're slightly better dressed.

Comment

Ah, right. Here, we have the same issue only it's usually kids and they usually have, like, one in-the-ear headphone in and they're holding the handset - often horizontally for extra froideur. Why they do it no one knows, (if you ask they're listening to someone else and looking at you O-mouthed). But they don't wear over-the-head headphones with a mic sticking out the front, and for that, I suppose, we should be grateful.

Comment

The good thing is that it's Google making them. That at least ensures that they'll only take off if people actually find them useful/good in some way. If it had been Apple, you can bet that the cult members would have unquestioningly made it a success whether or not it was of any value whatsoever.

Comment

Lucia Lanigan wrote: Ah, right. Here, we have the same issue only it's usually kids and they usually have, like, one in-the-ear headphone in and they're holding the handset - often horizontally for extra froideur.
                              This. The headset has a microphone built into it you nob, so why are you talking into the device? Then there's the ones who think that a hands-free unit requires them to hold the little microphone bit up to their mouth. It's called a fucking hands-free for a reason!

Comment

Comment

Although to be really really good, you'd need to use it in combination with some sort of omnidirectional treadmill, so you can run about and shit.
                                  You were saying?

Comment

Ginger Yellow wrote:
                                    You were saying?
                                    Cool. I want one.

Comment

I love the idea of hordes of teenage boys pestering their parents for treadmills.

Comment

So these Google glasses, how many people will get punched in the face for wearing them?
                                        So many people got punched just by looking at someone the wrong way.
                                        Would you want someone looking at you on the bus while wearing them?

Comment

Why the inherent dorkiness of Google Glass and its early converts will make it a failure.

And there's this Tumblr:
                                          http://whitemenwearinggoogleglass.tumblr.com/

HAHAHAHA

Comment

That is the developer edition though. I doubt whether the consumer version will be the same.

Comment

Your man on the left has a very egg-shaped head.

Comment

Yeah, a hat would be advisable.

Comment

Lucia Lanigan wrote:

The first thing that occurred to me on seeing the ad was: people are going to record their dying moments in really tragic circumstances
                                                  Brainstorm

The whole film is a bit iffy, but Natalie Wood was in it, and [strike]the guy who dances in Fatboy Slim videos[/strike] (-oes?) Christopher Walken , but I watched this once, whilst tripping, and I remember it vividly, to say the least.

Comment

Good little thing by John Lanchester on the implications.

I'm upping my bet to £10.50 that these won't catch on in any big way.

From Inca's tumblr up there: did this guy strap on a Google face before he put on his Google glasses?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X