Players your dad never rated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HaHa, lots. Just keep reminding him of the 1974 FA Cup Final and big Mals absolutely stinking performance that day. While you're at it throw in his dire display in the 1978 FA Cup Final v Ipswich. He really wasn't too clever in the big games.

Comment

I quite like him now, but it was all about the meaningless one-offs with Malcolm Macdonald the player - whether it be the five goals he scored at Wembley against Cyprus in 1975, or the hat-trick on his Arsenal debut that stuck it up former club Newcastle a year later...

Oddly enough, Gordon Banks was the last England goalkeeper my dad did rate.
      Could be an age thing. My late father was born in 1927 and - as he'd often remind me - saw a lot of great players in his time.

Comment

I couldn't agree on Banks being shit. I saw him repel Liverpool pretty much on his own with both Leicester and Stoke.

Comment

torres wrote:
          Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts
          Basically every player who isn't Malcolm Macdonald.
          The only player I ever knew who would be delighted to see his team lose 4-3 as long as he got a hat-trick.
          You never heard of Michael Owen .....??

Comment

For years my Dad used to say Ryan Giggs will never make it in top level football...

"he will never have a career in the game" he used to shout every time Man Utd were on the TV...

Go figure..!

Comment

El Tel wrote: Mark Hateley.
              My dad had a generation-spanning dislike of both Mark Hateley and his dad Tony Hateley.

Switching sports he also disliked Martin Offiah on the grounds that 'all he does is score tries'.

Comment

My dad's not the biggest football fan. My mum is and she could not abide Bryan Robson, he was just a dirty player as far as she was concerned. Having seen one of his tackles on Jerry Goss in '92/'93 (?) it was hard to disagree. Her favourite player was Johnny Haynes.

Comment

Joe Jordan always ripped my dad's knitting.

He's always on his arse was a regular comment.

Comment

With my dad it was Ray Clemence, when he signed for Spurs. I don't think that anybody could ever compare to Ted Ditchburn or Pat Jennings, for him. Personally, I was relieved to see Spurs finally get through that Barry Daines/Mark Kendall/Mijlia Aleksic-shaped trough that they went through after The Great Jennings Balls-Up.

Comment

My dad only ripped into players on England duty. He despised Glen Hoddle. Other than that, he was too drunk to be bitter.

Comment

Not my dad but that of a colleague - she told me this story of he died so I never got to talk to him about it...

Basically he was a very good keeper (trial with Arsenal but his mum wouldn't let him move to London) doing his national service. Which for him consisted more of football rather than marching.

One game he gets to be captain and so has the responsibility of picking the side. After he told the squad who's playing where one lad goes "You've forgotten me, Wardy". "No I haven't mate, its just I don't reckon you're not that good" says my colleague's father.

The dropped player was Johnny Haynes.

Comment

My Dad hated Michael Owen. Said he'd be finished by 25. Not far off, Pops. He also hated Tony Daley because he had daft hair.

Comment

Not really hated, but didn't rate anyone who played with "plastic footballs" instead of real leather ones. Exception was Kevin Beattie, who he rated as highly as his favourite, Duncan Edwards.

Comment

Working...
                            X