Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Public Information Films

Apaches is incredible, isn't it?

The Spirit of Dark and Lonely Water is a great shorter one, but unfortunately there are no undoctored versions on youtube- only daft 'rave remixes'.

Comment

Public Information Films

Oh wow. I cannot thank you enough, ian.64. That Brumagen advert was incredible. The way Savalas says "the Aston Exrpessway" like it's the pinnacle of human achievement- a motorway Nirvana- is absolutely brilliant. My Birmingham dwelling, town-planning, hauntologically inclined friend is going to love it. He'll probably sample it on his next album.

Comment

Public Information Films

It's terrific, isn't it? There are times where he almost sounds quite sincere, almost glowing (although one can also imagine him growling to his lackey in the recording booth 'one more take of this shit then I'm outta here, get me, Chuck?').

The 'blimey, was it really like that?' quotient is pretty high, too. Funny and fascinating.

Comment

Public Information Films

The Spirit Of Dark & Lonely Water:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb00H6mCTM8

Also, I have no idea what's going on here:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=QK8ZOiDyINk

Comment

Public Information Films

Oh, piss. I'm not too happy with the way this second one is going.

Comment

Public Information Films

No, I remember they showed the initial bit with Duncan Preston trying to lure the kid into the car (and her turning him down) being shown a lot in the early 80s in the Midlands, and the bit with the computer games "WRONG" bits being shown a lot on Anglia TV, but not the rest of it.

I wonder how the guy playing the jogger felt, considering the other two guys went on to having such successful careers?

Comment

Public Information Films

And if anyone can recommend some good software for extracting avi files from a DVD created on a DVD recorder - without losing the quality (like VLC does), then I'll post the Cannon & Ball one up over the weekend.

Comment

Public Information Films

Another one I remember (really poor quality):

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wgkrqZJjTM0

Comment

Public Information Films

That one about ponds it outstanding. They've got a real vendetta against ponds going on there.

Phoebe, I'm not entirely sure what sort of software it is that you're after, but Sourceforge Media Coder converts anything to anything, and at whatever bit-rate you want. It's one of the most under-rated pieces of software available, IMHO:

http://mediacoder.sourceforge.net/

Comment

Public Information Films

I've got a stinking hangover right now and watching all these youtube clips is probably the stupidest thing I can possibly do. Never heard of Apaches before but bugger-me if it ain't the most terrifying thing I've seen in ages.

When I was a kid I used to dread the onset of fireworks night, not because of the "banger in dog sh1t" jokes other kids would play, but because horrible adverts like this and this would have me constantly hiding behind the sofa.

A kid I was at school with actually lost an eye when he was hit by a screamer, so the effectiveness of these films is questionable.

Comment

Public Information Films

twohundredpercent wrote:
                        That one about ponds it outstanding. They've got a real vendetta against ponds going on there.

Phoebe, I'm not entirely sure what sort of software it is that you're after, but Sourceforge Media Coder converts anything to anything, and at whatever bit-rate you want. It's one of the most under-rated pieces of software available, IMHO:

http://mediacoder.sourceforge.net/
                        It's okay, I've already found something else (I already had it, I was just trying to convert the wrong files).

Comment

Public Information Films

And here it is.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=XtS1Dx-Whkw

Comment

Public Information Films

Good lord.

Comment

Public Information Films

Like I say, bizarre casting.

Comment

Public Information Films

It looks like someone has The Finishing Line, and that will be on YouTube soon.

Comment

Public Information Films

Excellent. Building Sites Bite would be a good one to unearth, too.

Comment

Public Information Films

Yeah, I was just thinking that "Building Sites Bite" would be the holy grail, now.

Comment

Public Information Films

"Firecrackers: The Silent Killer"

Comment

Public Information Films

The Finishing Line Part One:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=88wFQuv9g_Y

Part Two:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=p-HoG5BTdoA

Comment

Public Information Films

If I've been a little quite on here over the last day or so, it's because I'm still recovering from that.

Comment

Hi
                                            Sorry I'm seeing this thread so many years later, but I'm the woman that starred in the PIF Children and Ponds as a toddler. It's not made clear in the finished product but the child's doll is not meant to be the child itself, as it's seen washed up in the centre of the pond and the child falls in at the edge. in keeping with the feeling of the short, its meant to indicate that the child has disappeared under the water and all that's left of her lost innocence is the doll she had with her.

Comment

Wow! Welcome! Pull up a chair and tell us about your favourite biscuit.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                                Wow! Welcome! Pull up a chair and tell us about your favourite biscuit.
                                                Thank you. I like digestive biscuits and a hot chocolate. If anyone wants to see the PIF i was in as a baby/toddler - it's here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YSKmMkQ7d0

Comment

As claims-to-fame on here go, that's pretty impressive. I grew up during the age of the PIF, and that still resonates with its seventies synthesized 'danger' music.

Personally, I'm still traumatised by the grim reaper at the lake, the broken bottle on the beach, grandad falling through the table and - most of all, because it freaked me out as a six-year-old - the clumsy neighbour with the scythe.

Comment

PIFs have developed a cult around them, you are right. For those of who were featured in them as children, that can be difficult. Children and Ponds has never been remastered or put out on commercial release as far as i know. I'm sorry that you have only poor quality domestic recordings to judge toddler me.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X