Football's Greatest Journeymen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
    If he has a brother then the brother will also be called Darlington. One for old-time electronics enthusiasts, there.
    Until I read the second sentence, I thought you were alluding to the notion that the second one might be called Darlington 1883.

Comment

Another thread I'm going to have to put forward Jon Parkin in. Currently in his 20th season as a professional with 14 clubs on his CV, despite allegedly not having passed a proper medical since the age of 20, and still maintaining an impressive rate of goalscoring. He's already signed on to do pro season number 21 as well, although whether that actually comes to fruition with the current situation at York remains to be seen.

Comment

despite allegedly not having passed a proper medical since the age of 20
        fantastic.

Comment

I wrote a long article on the greatest journeymen in English football (the Top 18) 3 years ago: http://cahiersdufootball.net/blogs/t...-foot-anglais/

My favourite (non famous) journeyman is probably Fred Eyre (only briefly a professional but I couldn’t leave him out!). His biography kicked into touch is a right hoot. The anecdote about one of his managers (can’t remember who) who had a bad stutter is priceless, you can just picture the poor man trying to shout instructions from the touchline.

I approached Trevor Benjamin for an ITW when he played in Northumberland but either he was too busy/not available or I was, he sounds like a nice man anyway and it’s confirmed by what I’ve heard locally about him. I don’t write about English football anymore so it won’t happen but I still wouldn’t mind a chat with him, maybe I’ll bump into him one day, I think he lives in the Whitley Bay area but I’m not sure. He seems to have settled in the Newcastle area anyway after catching the football wanderlust bug early on (well, a bugito, within a 100-mile radius of the Midlands for almost all of his professional career), he was doing quite a lot of charity work on Tyneside up to about three years ago, not sure now.

Former French international Xavier Gravelaine (once briefly of Watford) is generally acknowledged to be the Number 1 top-flight professional journeyman in France (16 clubs). Fellow Frenchman Mickaël Antoine-Curier (mentioned at the end of my article) is not bad either, 23 clubs and counting, over half of them in England & Scotland, he's a bit of an Accies ledge I understand, certainly the club where he was the most successful (now at FC Mulhouse, fifth tier of French football after two brief stints in the top flight in the 1980s).

Comment

I thought this thread was going to be about :

https://twitter.com/LAGalaxy/status/977197586607046656
            Last edited by Ray de Galles; 23-03-2018, 16:46.

Comment

Well, it is five years old...

Comment

Zlatan defies linear time.

Comment

Fitting that it should get resurrected, though, so soon after Lutz Pfannenstiel's record (of clubs played for, if not continents played on) was broken. Indeed, Uruguayan striker Sebastián Abreu - previously of Defensor Sporting, San Lorenzo, Deportivo La Coruña, Grêmio, Tecos, San Lorenzo again, Nacional, Cruz Azul, América, Tecos again, Nacional again, Sinaloa, Monterrey, San Luis, Tigres UANL, River Plate, Beitar Jerusalem, River Plate again, Real Sociedad, Aris Salonica, Botafogo, Figueirense, Nacional again, Rosario Central, Aucas, Sol de América, Santa Tecla, Bangu, Central Español and Puerto Montt - apparently signed for Audax Italiano in January specifically in order to take the record of clubs played for by a professional footballer. 26 in total.

(It's also worth mentioning that, as a look at the identities of some of those clubs suggests, he's a much better centre forward than Pfannenstiel seems to have been a goalkeeper.)

Comment

Jefferson Louis is surely the king of this thread.

In 2012 he joined Newport - his 30th move. He was great, made an immediate impact and we dared to dream that at last he was ready to commit himself to somebody; to us; to settle down.

Then in a night game v Wrexham he dribbled through their defence, rounded the keeper and, as the home crowd roared in anticipation, he drilled the ball against a post. At that moment something changed in his demeanour, almost as if he’d begun humming once more Leonard Cohen’s The Dealer. He was gone soon after. His spell had lasted just seventeen games.

He’s currently with Chesham United, his 36th club, having been transferred 40 times.

Comment

Working...
                    X