Songs that you rediscovered in 2013-2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Currently very much digging the Stevie Wonder Presents Syreeta album. My parents had it when I was a kid, but I hadn't listened to it much since. It's great.

Comment

I really need to dig out my twelve of Shabaam Sahdeeq - "Soundclash" seeing as how it's flooded with verbs and nouns.

Comment

Great thread, and good calls on Big Country, The Lotus Eaters and Thin Lizzy.

And SAP being crap.

As we were leaving the Stone Roses' gig last month this was playing:

Bob Marley - Redemption Song (acoustic)

For some reason I have been listening to the band version for a long time, probably began because I like the Ska-ness of it. But I'd forgotten just how wonderful and passionate this is - the voice of a man becoming aware of what was coming to him. A beautiful, poignant vocal.

Comment

Bored of Education wrote:

Babylon's Burning, Something That I Said, Staring At the Rude Boys - The Ruts
          Bored - if you don't already own it I would recommend In A Rut by The Ruts also.

Comment

RobM wrote: Got free tickets to see The Stranglers recently and they opened with Toiler on the Sea, absolutely stupendous until the new cunt started yelping over the top of it.
            He's one of us man. Shame on you.

Amongst others:

Girls At Our Best- Getting Nowhere fast.
            The Who-Glow Girl
            The Golinski Brothers-Bloody
            Care-My Boyish Days
            The Modettes-White Mice
            Martha & The Muffins-Echo Beach
            Hootie & The Blowfish-Only Wanna Be With You
            Wah Heat-Seven Minutes To Midnight
            Bunnymen-Rescue
            OMD-Memories
            The Cure-Boys Dont Cry
            Roachford-Only To Be With You

Comment

Regarding 'La Dolce Vita" by Ryan Paris.
              Its 30yrs ago this summer since eight of us went on a last minute holiday to bloody Benidorm. "La Dolce Vita" was THE song on the costas that summer.

It was playing when all eight of us leapt onto the dance floor for a comedy cavort. Two of the chaps are STILL with the two girls who started to silly dance back at them. Thatll fuckin learn em.

A few of us may risk going back as a reunion type thing later this summer. They assure me its hipper than hip and chic'r than chic.

Comment

I was just listening to the 12'' of Dolce Vita - It is magnificent.

Comment

I picked up the reissue of Electronic's debut album at the weekend, having being on a bit of a Johnny Marr kick since the release of his solo album the other week.

It's a little hit-and-miss but the singles off it were absolutely top-notch. Out of all of them (Getting Away With It, Get the Message, Patience of a Saint and Disappointed), Disappointed is the highlight. With its church organ-like intro, it's almost a religious experience.

Comment

The towering glory of Scoundrel Days by Norway's pop gloomstrels A-ha, here.

Comment

Sits With Remote wrote: Great thread, and good calls on Big Country, The Lotus Eaters and Thin Lizzy.

And SAP being crap.

As we were leaving the Stone Roses' gig last month this was playing:

Bob Marley - Redemption Song (acoustic)

For some reason I have been listening to the band version for a long time, probably began because I like the Ska-ness of it. But I'd forgotten just how wonderful and passionate this is - the voice of a man becoming aware of what was coming to him. A beautiful, poignant vocal.
                      Ahh, memories. That was played at the end of the Heaton Park gigs last summer.

The Wailers supported, of course, and were requested not to play it by the band. After the gig there was a pretty spectacular fireworks display followed by Redemption Song being played as people poured out of the park (to be directed under the ring-road and out into the suburbs where "there are hundreds of taxis," by the Police, but that's another story).

Comment

Last Friday (so only a few hours left on the iPlayer) Tom Ravenscroft's show on 6music was deputised by Katie Puckrik. I have it on now.

Aside: For those of us of a certain age, Katie was, and remains, the most wonderful woman on earth. I mean, she had a brain, opinions and all.

Anyway, the show included some good old choices, including a cut from Sparks' 2002 album Lil' Beethoven. I do not know why I did not buy that album back then, and play it at least once a week since. Afterall, I was all over Hello Young Lovers four years later.

So 'My Baby's Taking Me Home' by Sparks was rediscovered by me earlier today.

Comment

Harder Than You Think - Public Enemy;
                          and for some bizarre reason

It's Good To Be The King - Mel Brooks

Comment

Furtho wrote: The towering glory of Scoundrel Days by Norway's pop gloomstrels A-ha, here.
                            Awesome song. Surprising that it was never a single.

Comment

Sorry - 'Hootie & The Blowfish'?

Comment

Kryvbas Gripper Rih wrote: So 'My Baby's Taking Me Home' by Sparks was rediscovered by me earlier today.
                                I play this for the kids every once in a while and it never fails to blow their minds.

Comment

I was sat on the bog, listening to a digital radio, and it got stuck on a channel, and it reminded me of this: We'll be right back

Which led me to: The Slightest Touch.

Esoteric as it sounds, I love this/these. And they make me think of the same time.

Comment

Yes.

Comment

Is there a bad time to rediscover 80s pop pixie Jane Wiedlin's classic Rush Hour single? No, there is not. It's here.

Comment

She's a vicar now, you know. Of sorts.

http://www.marriedbyjane.com/

Comment

Blimey. Wish I'd known that (erm, not really). But it has encouraged me to check out once more Fun Boy Three's version of Our Lips Are Sealed, here.

Comment

Rush Hour remains close to perfection, notwithstanding.

Comment

Can we agree not to mention the cheekiness of Jane's wink during the guitar solo?

Comment

This popped up on my iPod yesterday, I didn't even realise it was on there.

Afrika Bambaataa & Soul Sonic Force - Planet Rock

Fuckin' YES.

Comment

Bluegreens on the Wing — William Truckaway.

I'm pretty sure this was the last 45 I bought before leaving the UK. After forty-odd years I still love it. It's absolute-total-genuine-authentic-bona fide hippy shit.

Sopwith Camel, Truckaway's band, were one of the first San Francisco groups to get a national recording contract in 1965. Later, at the time he recorded Bluegreens, he was part of the production collective that worked with Norman Greenbaum on Spirit in the Sky. This has something of the same texture — and the same Stovell Sisters singing back-up. Discovering it on youtube the other day was like running into an old-friend on the street. Wonderful.

Comment

Relentless hooks from the undisputed queens of J-pop AKB48 on their single Heavy Rotation, here (possibly somewhat NSFW video depending on your circs/point of view).

Different from AKB48 to a mindbending degree, subdued acoustic folk minimalism from The Rural Tradition is here.

Still loving Lana Del Rey's Ride, here.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X