Songs that you rediscovered in 2013-2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I suppose in this age of Spotify and burying your old favourites in your various harddrives, some old nuggets get overlooked for a long time.

For no reason at all I started to listen to The Who again, it began with dipping into Quadrophenia and then diving all the way.

I have forgotten what absolutely brilliant , crafted songs they were.
    Even songs I used to fairly ignore, like Pinball Wizard, just the start, with a pair of headphones on at work. People stared at me when I just said, obviously too loudly "Fucking Hell".
    I blamed SAP being slow.

I know Pete was up his own derriere alot of the time; but much of this stuff is frankly magnifico.

Earlier this week, for no apparent reason, suddenly Herbie Hancock's Chameleon (the first track in that youtube link) popped into my head. I couldn't recall the full track, so I played the album again. It had been years.

Comment

Two that have really hooked are XOYO by The Passage. It came up on Shuffle on my iPod. I can only conclude it came from an evilC link at some point.

Also, from 2003, Ban Marriage by The Hidden Cameras. Just heard it last weekend for the first time and love it.

Comment

I heard Midnight Rider by Paul Davison on the radio yesterday - one to be filed under cover better than the original.

Comment

Smallcaps wrote: Earlier this week, for no apparent reason, suddenly Herbie Hancock's Chameleon (the first track in that youtube link) popped into my head. I couldn't recall the full track, so I played the album again. It had been years.
          Great tune. There's a couple of well decent tracks which happen to sample part of the bassline on that one.

The Ballistic Bros - Blacker

Organized Konfusion - Open Your Eyes

Comment

VTTBoscombe wrote: I suppose in this age of Spotify and burying your old favourites in your various harddrives, some old nuggets get overlooked for a long time.

For no reason at all I started to listen to The Who again, it began with dipping into Quadrophenia and then diving all the way.

Even songs I used to fairly ignore, like Pinball Wizard, just the start, with a pair of headphones on at work. People stared at me when I just said, obviously too loudly "Fucking Hell".
            I blamed SAP being slow.

I know Pete was up his own derriere alot of the time; but much of this stuff is frankly magnifico.
            I had a similar experience, but with "The Who Sell Out." "Our Love Was" is an amazing song.

Comment

Got free tickets to see The Stranglers recently and they opened with Toiler on the Sea, absolutely stupendous until the new cunt started yelping over the top of it.

The place was heaving and there's obviously an audience for them but for the semblance of what it was Toiler on the Sea by The Stranglers

Comment

VTTBoscombe wrote: I suppose in this age of Spotify and burying your old favourites in your various harddrives, some old nuggets get overlooked for a long time.

I blamed SAP being slow.

Spooky... I happened to be listening to Won't Get Fooled Again (from the Then & Now anthology) as I stumbled across this thread. I love that song - such apposite lyrics too, even 40+ years on.

Comment

I heard Midnight Rider by Paul Davison on the radio yesterday - one to be filed under cover better than the original.
                  Yes, very good version indeed.

Radio Two's Pick of the Pops is good for this, if you can put up with Tony Blackburn's linking. For example, I hadn't heard Back Street Luv by Curved Air in years until last week - what a fine 45 that was.

Comment

Also earlier this year, I went to a Burn's Supper night (it even happens in France!), apart from badly pulling my calf muscle "stripping the willow", my brain was infested with bagpipe music.
                    So afterwards I just listened to my Big Country collection, again untouched for years.
                    Porroh Man, Fields of Fire , I almost pulled the other calf muscle!
                    (I also am amazed how many scottish bands occupy my mucic stash).

Comment

I was going through my 7"s yesterday (rearranging to alphabetical - dammit - when for years it was chronological, only spoiled a couple of months ago when clumsily clearing my den for decoration).

Anyroadup - the brilliant XOYO, too, was rediscovered.. as was..

Diet - Au Pairs
                      The Slide - Artery
                      Nowhere Fast - Girls At Our Best
                      Another One Bites the Dust - Clint Eastwood & General Saint
                      Beans - The Shapes
                      Cinema Clock - Sinking Ships
                      Strange Boutique - Monochrome Set

Comment

IronSeaPower wrote:
                        Strange Boutique - Monochrome Set
                        I have continually tried to explain the Monochrome Set to everyone, and I have no idea.

I tried to do the same with the other half, and he looked even more slack-jawed, than usual.

I just put on 'Jet Set Junta', and he bounced around the room.

How DO you explain the Monochrome Set? I know fuck all about them, other than their music, and that I have seen them 4 times live, and still can't understand why I like them so much. Maybe it was the acid, the first twice... Although, the third time I took an ex, and he LOVED them. Then we split up.

So, in short: The Monochrome Set are a deal-breaker.

I remember the days in the QM Union in Glasgow, when they were on, and we paid for our tickets (6 of us, all ripped to the tits on Nepal, but holding up well to enquiries), and we bought our Fursteiner (not true, I think it was Lowenbrau, with the accent, and the 30p surcharge for being a twat), and sat down, and bumped a tab each.

The music beforehand was everything we thought it would be... you name Glasgow in 1982, it was there. Including, but not exclusively, GOOD STUFF.

Then, the dry ice came on, and we stood at the back, whilst one massive hippy did his thing on the 'dancefloor', which forced us away from the stage, and as this was going on, they set up, paused, shot the hippy, and kicked off, and the whole place erupted...

just as we were coming up...

the rest as they say, was phuckingphenomenal.

Memories have a way of seeming to be better in hindsight, but I saw this group 3 times afterwards, and everytime, they got better. I saw them in a silly pub in Camden (on Parkway) with my very much older other half, and he hated the venue (Dublin Castle?), with its low ceilings, and he is a non-smoker, and I said, just stand at the back and watch.

He has since, been to see them more than me/I.

Comment

My personal 'find':

My prayer The Platters, as always. Brilliant.

Comment

I've recently been rehearsing with an REM tribute band. None of yer Shiny Happy People nonsense for this lot, though. They only play stuff from the IRS records years.

As a result I've been listening to early REM pretty much non-stop for the last three weeks. This is not as painful as I thought it was going to be, in fact I've been quite enjoying it.

My particular favourites being: Begin the Begin, Pretty Persuasion; Life & How to Live it; Sitting Still and Can't Get There From Here.

The gig is on Saturday 20th April, since you asked. 13th Note, Glasgow. £5 entry.

Comment

Ryan Paris -- Dolce Vita.

Magnificently cheesy pop-electro Eurotrash from 30 years ago. It was a huge hit when I was a kid.

And here's another one from the same period, the sumptuous The First Picture Of You by the Lotus Eaters. Apparently this song got more plays on British radio in 1983 than any other track, which doesn't surprise me.

Comment

Ryan Paris -- Dolce Vita.

Maybe it's because I'm getting old, but I always mix up "Dolce Vita", "Words" and "Voyage, Voyage", even though they were all released in different years.

In fact, mixing them up is precisely what one of these mash-up, pot-pourri DJ types ought to do (if it hasn't been done already). Summer smash hit of 2013, right there.

Comment

Words was released the previous year and, as you say, is like a wetter version of Dolce Vita.

Voyage Voyage came along a lot later, 1989 or so. But, again, similar feel and melody.

Comment

A tip of the hat to Voyage Voyage and The First Picture Of You, tremendous records both.

Comment

RobM wrote: Got free tickets to see The Stranglers recently and they opened with Toiler on the Sea, absolutely stupendous until the new cunt started yelping over the top of it.

The place was heaving and there's obviously an audience for them but for the semblance of what it was Toiler on the Sea by The Stranglers
                                      Weirdly enough, my little brother and I were only last week singing along together on Skype to the dulcet tones of 'Black and White'.

For me, I've been digging the early Human League - The Dignity of Labour parts 1-4. Here's part 3.

Comment

AB2 wrote:
                                        And here's another one from the same period, the sumptuous The First Picture Of You by the Lotus Eaters. Apparently this song got more plays on British radio in 1983 than any other track, which doesn't surprise me.
                                        Man, but I love the intro to that song.

Been playing Mad Man Moon by Genesis a lot in Giggler Towers lately. A lovely tune.

Comment

It's not 'old' old, but Rap $ Unemployment by The Doppelgangaz is pretty much on loop for me at the moment.

Listen.

Comment

I love Quadrophenia, always will. The weary lyrics "I've had enough of pills ..." resonate far more now than on its release, when I was 14 and wanted a lot more pills.

Gero, there's a new Monochrome Set live DVD out on April 13 if you're interested.

Last time I went to see them was at Dingwalls, and during the first song my companion was taken ill and I had to take him home. Was disappointed, but we hadn't paid (they're Ant family). Great band, very smart.

Comment

Should's album Like A Fire Without Sound came out a couple of years ago, a simple but atmospheric sound that draws on some staple influences for the indie crowd like yer Brian Enos and Yo La Tengos. It can be streamed in its entirety here.

Comment

I have been going mad on I-tunes recently, buying up loads of stuff that I haven't had for a while, some since vinyl.

All of Damned Damned Damned and Machine Gun Etiquette - The Damned

All of Black Cherry - Goldfrapp

Twenty-Five Forty-One - Grant Hart

All of Lovebox - Groove Armada

All of Play - Moby

Rags and Bones - NoMeansNo

You're Gonna Get Yours, Public Enemy No. 1, Rebel Without a Pause, Fight the Power - Public Enemy

Babylon's Burning, Something That I Said, Staring At the Rude Boys - The Ruts

Institutionalized, Possessed to Skate - Suicidal Tendencies

The Boys Are Back In Town, Jailbreak, Don't Believe a Word, Waiting for an Alibi, Cold Sweat, Dancing In the Moonlight, Bad Reputation, Killer On the Loose, Chinatown, Do Anything You Want To, The Rocker - Thin Lizzy

Most of the Best of - ZZ Top

Music being as evocative as it is, these songs take me back to the years 1982 - 1992 and 9 months working in a kitsch gift shop in Kensal Green in 2002

Comment

Pete Rock & Loose Ends - Take Your Time

Comment

Working...
                                                  X