Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And, more importantly, tried parking?

Comment

Well, obviously the answer is no. But I can't imagine how futzing about for a parking spot compares with shifting an old woman to and fro on various conveyances. Unless this is about your walking problems, which of course trumps a lot. I don't know York, and you do. Could be all hills and obstacles for all I know.

Comment

An ex-girlfriend of mine left me for one of my then-close mates. They live in York. If you could get round to paying them a visit, making her cry and giving him a punch on the nose, I'll buy you a half of bitter and a bag of pork scratchings at the next (first) OTF 'thon we both attend. Thanks.

Comment

He’s griping about dropping an old woman off at the door...

Comment

That's so what I'm doing...

Comment

WOM's experience of driving in medieval city centres on summer weekends being so vast . . .

Comment

Oh, you don't know...

Comment

The hotel appears to have a largish car park right on site, behind it.

Comment

You mean the hotel that says on their website:
                    Please be advised there are limited car parking spaces available onsite on a first come first serve basis for residents only. This will be charged at £10 per car, per day. Alternatively, guests are advised to use the Queen Street NCP.
                    Finding a parking space in central York on a Saturday is going to be a challenge, especially given that the registry office is only about 200 yards from the Minster (and also York City are at home just around the corner if we're talking about the 15th.) Most of the residential streets with on-street parking require a residents permit to park there, and the nearby car parks fill up quickly. I'd say the Park and Ride is likely to be a cheaper, quicker and significantly less stressful option.

Comment

Seconded. York is horrible to drive around at the best of times, never mind attempting to park.

Comment

I drive round York fairly regularly in a bus. Spare me your sob stories.

But yeah, the Park And Ride is definitely the option with the less hassle. Rawcliffe Bar looks like your best option for where you're headed, assuming you're coming up the A64 from the A1, onto the A1237 ring road and it's on the junction of the A19.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                          We're going to my wife's neice's wedding a couple of Saturdays from in York, taking my 88 year old mother-in-law. We're driving from Rotherham, going first to the registry office on Bootham, and then to the Hotel du Vin on The Mount, before returning to Rotherham. I imagine that driving in York will be horrendous, so my instinct says choose the Park and Ride option, getting a cab from one of the relevant car parks. My wife's not so keen, and wants to drive her mother up to the door at both places, before looking for somewhere local to park.

Which is the best option?
                          The closest car park is Marygate which is pretty big so you'd have a fair chance of getting in but it would require walking up a bit of a hill (though is only max. 5 mins walk from the register office for those without mobility restrictions). There's also one again about a 5-minute walk on the other side of the road from the register office, down Bootham Row which is the turn off between Sainsbury's and the Bootham Tavern, but it's not that big so does fill up on Saturday afternoons. If you use either of those options I'd say you'd want a taxi over to the Mount though with the elderly one.

If you are doing the Park & Ride option, you want to go to Rawcliffe Bar and get the no. 2, which goes along Bootham on its way back out, with a stop again a few minutes walk from the register office. To be honest though that goes such a long way round to get there you might well be better off trying one of the central car parks.
                          Last edited by Jobi1; 31-08-2018, 11:13.

Comment

Thanks for all your suggestions. I'll let you know how the discussions go...

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                              WOM's experience of driving in medieval city centres on summer weekends being so vast . . .
                              Right now I'm envisaging him trying to drive across Galway city centre in his Giant pick up truck.....

Comment

...it's not that giant....

Comment

And he can't drive it anyway. He's locked the ignition keys in The Gnat's top box.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                    ...it's not that giant....
                                    I don't know if you'd be saying that after trying to take the right hand turn at the end of abbey st.

Comment

A former colleague of mine bought a "compact SUV" to travel between his posh apartment in the centre of Rome and the house in Tuscany they were restoring.

He never was able to get within 5km of the flat.

Comment

WOM found parking to be plentiful at the Ontario Medieval Times. He is now wary of his positioning vis a vis jousters and will wear a loose pair of slacks to account for the massive drumstick of meat that is obligatory.

Comment

I was a little surprised to learn that WOM owns a pick up truck. Hid that well behind his boxy "car of the people" facade.

Comment

Yes, but WOM has more vehicles than we have skin cells. He owns at least three combine harvesters.

Comment

This is why I don't go outside at recess...

Comment

A former colleague of mine bought a "compact SUV" to travel between his posh apartment in the centre of Rome and the house in Tuscany they were restoring.

He never was able to get within 5km of the flat.
                                                I can't think of any multi level car park in dublin city centre that he could use, and very few apartment car parks. Half of them he would struggle to get to, and once there, I have no idea how he would negotiate the ramps. It's just that it's nearly a meter longer than even a large saloon. It would be as ridiculous as a Smart car would be on the prairie.

Comment

What do you consider a large saloon? Because I've drunk in quite a few, and I can tell you...etc etc...

Comment

The traffic is even worse I than expected. Luckily I wasn't driving, we were in a cab. Still got to get back to the park and ride, but I've had a few beers now so it's someone else's problem...

Comment

Working...
                                                    X