So...York then...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So...York then...

Right, got a date up there this coming sunday. Any suggestions for quirky places, good pubs/cafe, arty/museum stuff worth checking out in York.

Meeting at lunch time so somewhere not too far from train station to start with, would be ace.

Ta...

So...York then...

National Railway Museum

Comment

So...York then...

Is actually quite a good place to visit as it has all manner of interesting transport stuff.

The Living Room is a chain but is a pretty good one. there's one on York right in the centre on the main bridge over the - head through the city walls directly opposite the exit to the station and it's about 15 mins walk and that will take you past the Minster.

Quite close to the Minster is a nice modern restaurant called Nineteen situated in one of the oldest buildings in the city. Address is 19 Grape Lane. Do a walk around the walls too assuming it's not wet and windy and if you like that sort of think like I do, the York Dungeon is fun. Clifford's Tower is worth looking at too, it's just 30 seconds walk from the Dungeon.

And I suppose you have to walk along the classic York tourist street, the Shambles. That's only 2 minutes walk away from the Dungeon too at the other side of the town from the station. It's all walkable though.

And your date is with your good lady wife I take it Yuri?

Comment

So...York then...

Duck of the Day is from York.

Comment

So...York then...

Alas Craig, I separated last year from my good lady wife...Nope, a lovely lady I met on one of them websites and if it works (as I'm quite hopeful it will), I'll be a very lucky chap!

Thanks, lots of great tips there, already. The transport stuff would also be good, I'm pretty sure she'd be interested in that. I've also downloaded a chocolate trail for a bit of mindless fun (and some chocolate scoffing...)

Comment

So...York then...

If you're going to York, you want to go to Betty's for tea, especially if you're on a date.

Also I don't know if this might be of interest to your date, but York is very good for quirky vintage shops (both for clothes and furniture/homeware/random bric-à-brac). The Vintage Emporium is especially good for good quality items and clothes from the 20s to the 60s, and very reasonably priced for that type of place.

The Banana Warehouse is also pretty amazing but I'm not sure it's all that good for a date unless rummaging through a warehouse full of house clearance stuff for hours is your idea of fun (it's pretty much mine and sw2's, but I understand it doesn't float everyone's boat.)

Comment

So...York then...

Ah sorry to hear that, hope the date goes well.

Comment

So...York then...

Getting the train there? While York has loits of excellent Old Man boozers, this place, right at the station, is really outstanding. Same people what run the Euston Tap in That London.

Comment

So...York then...

I think there are boat trips along the river, which may be an idea.

Ladies love boats. Especially ones that serve drinks and cakes.

Comment

So...York then...

This place is a brilliant, quirky little pub in the Shambles that also does nice food. It is full of stuffed animal heads though, so maybe not that great on a date...

Comment

So...York then...

Not much to add to what's been said above, but Ambiente is a really nice tapas & sherry bar-restaurant, had some top stuff when I was there last year.

Comment

So...York then...

Pivni is a bar that's well worth checking out, full of excellent local and world beers and an upper floor so wonky you feel like you've had several pints of 8% American IPA's as soon as you get up there

Comment

So...York then...

The Maltings is another good pub near the station, recently been redeveloped.

A good "old man" boozer in the centre is the Hansom Cab - its a Sam Smiths, but don't let that put you off, its much better than the average Sam Smiths.

A walk round the walls is always a good (free) form of entertainment in York, though you do need to fill in the gaps a bit as the wall is not continuous.

Comment

So...York then...

Seconded on Betty's - mrs b and myself went there a couple of years ago, and it's absolutely excellent.

Comment

So...York then...

It is kind of really expensive for what it is and often you'll find long queues of people waiting for a table.

Comment

So...York then...

If it's chocolate you're after, I thoroughly recommend the Chocolate Story in the centre of the town. It's at the more informative end of the tourist attraction spectrum and certainly beats the hell out of the Jorvik Centre for value for money.

Comment

So...York then...

The chocolate badgers in the window are a thing of beauty though.

Comment

So...York then...

I lived in York for years and my mum still lives there, so I still go back regularly. All the tips you've received are spot on. Best advice would be to just walk around. Personally, I find it a bit quaint, but it's undeniably pretty and you can stroll around the best bits in a day.

I'd come out of the station, turn left, follow the city walls towards the river. Cross over Lendall Bridge and walk through the Museum gardens towards the Minster. It's really worth seeing. From there, head down Petergate and stop for your lunch at Petergate Fisheries. You can either eat in or get a take away and sit in Kings Square and be entertained by buskers. From there you're close to the Shambles.

Dalliance is right about Bettys, but if you're on a date, just push the boat out and go for afternoon tea and cakes.

If you're there in the evening, avoid Micklegate and its many pubs because they will be packed with pissed up folks on stag/hen nights.

Comment

So...York then...

Ladies and gents, OTF delivers, as usual. Thanks!!

Comment

So...York then...

Give her one from us.

Comment

We're going to my wife's neice's wedding a couple of Saturdays from in York, taking my 88 year old mother-in-law. We're driving from Rotherham, going first to the registry office on Bootham, and then to the Hotel du Vin on The Mount, before returning to Rotherham. I imagine that driving in York will be horrendous, so my instinct says choose the Park and Ride option, getting a cab from one of the relevant car parks. My wife's not so keen, and wants to drive her mother up to the door at both places, before looking for somewhere local to park.

Which is the best option?

Comment

Um...keep your wife and her 88 year old mother happy, or keep yourself happy? Not really a tough one, is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                              ..the registry office on Bootham... to the Hotel du Vin on The Mount..
                                              This is a nine minute drive. I drive farther to buy milk.

Comment

Have you driven in York on a Saturday?

Comment

Originally posted by Le Gog Sportif View Post
                                                  Pivni is a bar that's well worth checking out, full of excellent local and world beers and an upper floor so wonky you feel like you've had several pints of 8% American IPA's as soon as you get up there
                                                  Can get very busy, though I don't know what it's like on Sundays.

(I'm not a fan, but it does have its adherents. Shorty Medlocke for one)

Betty's gets ridiculously busy, and the queues can be silly.

Definitely recommend the Tap as somewhere to start for a quiet one - only gets ridiculously full at lunchtime on racedays

Comment

Working...
                                                  X