Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canada Car Sales, with Commentary

Yeah, without the steroids.

BTW, I read somewhere that it's illegal to import right-hand drive cars into the US, is that true?

Comment

Good question. I don't know.

I'd love to have Bill Gates-type money. I'd buy one of those GMC Motorhomes in a second and have the interior gutted and redone. And then I'd drive around the country with my hot girlfriend Shoshanna and solve crimes.

Comment

WOM wrote: You still got the Scion?
        Sadly no, had to trade it in when we got the Town & Country. No way we could fit two car seats and a booster in the back, it's tough enough in my wife's CRV.

Comment

Not true.

Is Right Hand Drive Legal in the United States?

The simple answer: Yes, with some caveats. More on that later.

After all, nearly all postal vehicles are right-hand-drive, and we’re able to buy those once they’ve been retired from service.

Comment

Ah. It's the EPA and other safety standards that are the issue. Not illegal, just very difficult.

Comment

Reed John wrote: I hate heated seats. Feels like my ass is on fire.
              Don't go to Japan. I was there on a holiday two months ago, and it was amazing in all aspects but one: the toilets had seatwarmers. If you try to find the correct button to turn ot off, you might accidentally turn on the bidet function, or the music.

Japanese toilet technology is seriously out of control.

Comment

Since we have the US, Canada and UK lists, the Chrysler discussion on the adverts thread reminded me to put the Europe-wide sales for 2014 on here.

Code:
                1  VW Golf	   520,958
                2  Ford Fiesta	   308,999
                3  Renault Clio	   300,924
                4  VW Polo	   280,378
                5  Opel/Vaux Corsa 252,420
                6  Ford Focus	   222,834
                7  Peugeot 208	   215,312
                8  Skoda Octavia   206,362
                9  Nissan Qashqai  204,200
                10 Audi A3 	   200,157
                As well as the order being different from the UK (Golf is only fourth in the UK but is the best seller over the continent by miles, presumably because of the German market) there are a few different models in there. The UK has the Vauxhall Astra, Fiat 500 and Nissan Juke in its top ten, and not the Octavia, Peugeot 208 or even the Clio.

Comment

German Top 30 is here.

Golf, Passat and Polo are the top three, with the Audi A3 fourth and VW Tiguan fifth (i.e., a clean top 5 sweep for the VW Group), though Germany accounts for less than half of the Golfs in Europe and less than a quarter of the Polos.

Comment

Kevchenko wrote: Since we have the US, Canada and UK lists, the Chrysler discussion on the adverts thread reminded me to put the Europe-wide sales for 2014 on here.

Code:
                    1  VW Golf	   520,958
                    4  VW Polo	   280,378
                    6  Ford Focus	   222,834
                    10 Audi A3 	   200,157
                    As well as the order being different from the UK (Golf is only fourth in the UK but is the best seller over the continent by miles, presumably because of the German market) there are a few different models in there. The UK has the Vauxhall Astra, Fiat 500 and Nissan Juke in its top ten, and not the Octavia, Peugeot 208 or even the Clio.
                    The Juke is a top-ten seller in the UK? That's wild. It's a real margin player here. The only car on the Euro list that really surprises me is the Audi A3. It's a bit too premium here to be a volume seller.

Comment

It's assembled in Sunderland, as is the Qashqai, which I think helps the UK sales a fair bit.

Comment

I had to go and look at the Nissan cash cow. It is basically a Rogue in the US market, though it reminded me of this funny convention in the UK called the 'manual gearbox'.

Comment

Yeah, I had to go for a gander, too. Rogue's twin, for sure. The Rogue does a good business here, but they're a bit bland for my liking.

Comment

http://www.lookingatcars.com/2014-nissan-rogue-vs-2014-nissan-qashqai/

Not a lot to say, except that "Europeans are cooler," essentially

Comment

caja-dglh wrote: I had to go and look at the Nissan cash cow. It is basically a Rogue in the US market, though it reminded me of this funny convention in the UK called the 'manual gearbox'.
                              You need this frame of reference for the motoring-based TV programmes' names to make any sense:

Comment

When I hear Top Gear I get a visual image of EIM approving of someones footwear.

The only cars I see around here with a manual gearbox are Abarth's and a surprising number of Golf GTI's. I would be less surprised to learn the majority of the drivers of these are Brits but haven't really had a chance to find out.

Comment

There are a surprising (to me) number of Arbarths that park on the streets around our flat.

None of the drivers are Brits and at least half of them are women who learned to drive with a stick (as did ms ursus, who repeatedly reminds me of this fact).

Comment

We went from a two-stick household to a two-automatic household almost overnight. (Bought used. No choice.) I'd switch back in a second, but I don't think Mrs WOM could be bothered again.

Comment

WOM wrote:
                                      Originally posted by Kevchenko
                                      Since we have the US, Canada and UK lists, the Chrysler discussion on the adverts thread reminded me to put the Europe-wide sales for 2014 on here.

Code:
                                      1  VW Golf	   520,958
                                      4  VW Polo	   280,378
                                      6  Ford Focus	   222,834
                                      10 Audi A3 	   200,157
                                      The Juke is a top-ten seller in the UK? That's wild. It's a real margin player here. The only car on the Euro list that really surprises me is the Audi A3. It's a bit too premium here to be a volume seller.
                                      Round here it's the favourite car of the "young professionals".

Comment

WOM wrote: Well, the PMs demanding an update to this thread have gotten tedious, so here it is. Sales are year to date, as of October 31.

#1 Ford F-Series 106,612
                                        Full steam ahead for Ford's cash cow. Just re-released as an all-aluminum body, which is a game changer. 600 pounds lighter and more fuel efficient. And it won't rust. Nice.

#2 Ram P/U 73,266
                                        Ram is now the Chrysler truck brand. Continues to eat GM's lunch.

#3 Honda Civic 57,853
                                        Cheap and reliable. Built in Canada. No-frills car for a no-frills people.

#4 Ford Escape 45,152
                                        Nice looking. Reasonably equipped and affordably priced. Ford's on a roll anyway, and this is a good small SUV.

#5 Dodge Grand Caravan 45,018
                                        Basically the number 1 selling minivan by default. Nobody else does them any more except the premium Japanese models. GM and Ford quit the business. Still, a good family hauler for under-$20K.

#6 Hyundai Elantra 43,967
                                        Sexier, (arguably) better and cheaper than Civic and Corolla. Yet Civic still outsells it.

#7 Toyota Corolla 43,102
                                        Sexier than it was before, but still not quite there. My folks bought two in a row, so that tells you something.

#8 GMC Sierra 40,687
                                        You're either a GM truck guy or a Ford truck guy. Unless you're one of 73,000 Ram truck guys, but you don't want to know what those guys are in to.

#9 Mazda 3 36,185
                                        Yes, they zoom zoom and they're sexy looking, but I just don't get the Mazda 3. They're for dull couples named Dave and Tracy, who have a Golden Lab and like the marble countertops in their starter home. Apologies if you own one. (Hey...nice countertops, though...)

#10 Chevrolet Silverado 35,551
                                        The other half of the GM pickup story. Sure, add the #8 and #10 numbers up and they sell more than Ram, but that's not as sexy a story as seeing yourself in #2 spot.

#69 Nissan Micra 6,063 (967/month)
                                        Since I mentioned the Micra upthread, they're actually shifting decent numbers. They'll break 10,000 units a year for sure. Nice car at the price (under $10,000 new), and plenty for most urbanites who might consider a Smart or an IQ.

All figures from http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2014/11/october-2014-canada-auto-sales-figures-rankings-by-model-ytd.html
                                        Well, it's clearly time for an update. Madness...utter madness in the Top 10.

1 Ford F-Series (same)
                                        2 Ram P/U. (same)
                                        3 Honda Civic (same)
                                        4 GMC Sierra (up 4 spots)
                                        5 Toyota Corolla (up 2 spots)
                                        6 Hyundai Elantra (same)
                                        7 Ford Escape (down 3)
                                        8 Dodge Grand Caravan (down 3)
                                        9 Chevrolet Silverado (up 1)
                                        10 Toyota RAV4 (now where did that come from?)

40 Nissan Micra (still predicting they'll break 10,000 units)

The Mazda 3 won't enjoy the dizzying heights it once did. The roads are full of 6-year old 3s that, thanks to cheap steel, look like 16-year old 3s. Terrible rust issues that don't bode well for the brand.

Comment

Did the F-150 increase sales with the new body?

Comment

Tough to say yet. The monthlies and year-to-date numbers are both down slightly. But that could be due to slow ramp-up to full production, or that RAM is pushing hard, or that GM has a great new mid-size pickup in the market.

GM is clearly scared, as they're now running "aluminum vs steel" spots to make you think the new F150 ain't up to the job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIC7Fw1rFF4

Tres subtle, non?

Comment

I think the Ford Escape is the same as the European Kuga. Sales in 2014 were actually well up on 2013, and for 2015 so far every month has recorded higher sales than the equivalent month in 2014.

http://left-lane.com/european-car-sales-data/ford/ford-kuga/

Comment

It's a strong player in a really big segment over here. Compact SUVs (CUVs) are growing rapidly, and the Escape/Kuga is nice looking, well made and competitively priced.

Comment

That Chevy advert is great. Especially when their first reaction was to offer about 7 grand off any truck when the F150 launched.

Comment

They also are becoming a plague on Manhattan streets, where the vast majority of private passenger vehicles are now SUVs, CUVs or "sporty" small cars like the Fiat 500 (and yes, we even have guys who own 500s now).

Much like the people who drive SUVs, those who drive CUVs have no clue as to the size of their vehicle.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X