Les Mis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Les Mis

I've watched the 25th Anniversary Concert, and thought that I prefer Jackman and Crowe in their respective roles. Of course, I'm probably biased since they were my first Valjean and Lavert and so set a template in my mind.

The Jonas Brother as Marius was pretty awful in the concert, and I didn't know what to make of Matt Lucas as Thenardier. Then I saw Alun Armstrong as the original Thenardier appearing in the encore section (alongside several other members of the original cast), and I it seemed to me that Sasha Baron Cohen might have been miscast.

With modern medicine, it can be argued that Javert has Aspergers Syndrome. He has a tendency to be inflexible, he takes things way too literally, he has problems with understanding the emotions of other people, difficultly empathising with others, having trouble in reading emotional cues in other people's faces - thus being thought of as arrogant or detached, and prone to extreme anxiety or stress if a routine is broken. The poor guy needs help.
    He is the dogmatic whom we find in every walk of life, but especially in conservative religion and totalitarian politics. He'd explain decent people's acquiescence in the regimes of Franco and Salazar.

Comment

Les Mis

Alun Armstrong is fantastic in that part (and everything I have seen him in.)

The REAL star of everything is that Colm Wilkinson chappie. He must have his balls in a vice to get to those notes so beautifully.

Comment

Working...
      X