Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2013 Gigs

Mama Roisin tomorrow night actually.
    Saw them on Jools Holland, quite cajan-influenced by the brief glimpse i caught of them.
    Might be interesting.

Might not.

Comment

2013 Gigs

So, one of the Wilko Johnson farewell gigs at Koko, London last night. It was emotional, but basically the same show Wilko and his 3-piece have been touring for the years.

He was fit and on top of his game, doing his trademark stage moves with the excellent Dylan Howe on drums and Norman Watt-Roy as ever superb on bass.

The ultra-slimmed-down Alison Moyet joined them for the first encore, but her voice was a bit lost in the muddy sound that seems to curse the Koko venue (the old Camden Palais).

When he finished off the first encore with Johnny B Goode, I was welling up a bit as the audience and Wilko exchanged poignant Bye Bye waves.

It was rumoured that Viv Albertine would be supporting, so we got there early, but this was rubbish. Dirgy Southend band Eight Rounds Rapid were the support: featuring an even worse vocalist than Wilko, which is some going.

Have to say, very glad I went.

Comment

2013 Gigs

Scratched my itch by going to the Stone Roses on Wednesday evening at the Hordern Pavilion (a large box basically).

This review, and the comments below, really gives you the gamut of opinion. Personally I'm with Dave at 18 hours - I was far enough forward I was just enjoying the party and everyone was singing over Ian Brown. From where I was the band, especially Squire and Reni, were sensational. Mani was looking his age.

Criticising Brown's singing is a bit much, he's never been able to sing. That's not really the point with Ian Brown.

A great night.

Comment

2013 Gigs

Oh and there's a review of slackster's Wilko Johnson gig on there too.

Comment

2013 Gigs

RobW wrote: Wish i'd known about that Neon Neon set.
            Neon Neon are booking for Village Underground through the Barbican website. General sales opened today so it may sell out quite quickly

It was rumoured that Viv Albertine would be supporting
            I'm supposed to be going to see her on Good Friday at the Windmill in Brixton. On at 6.30pm, which seems eminently sensible for a bank holiday all dayer.

Comment

2013 Gigs

Yeah got my Neon Neon and David Byrne/St. Vincent tickets this week.

Comment

2013 Gigs

Paul Kelly and Neil Finn next week, Bruce Springsteen the week after, in Melbourne, and then Black Sabbath with the youngest in May. Total age somewhere close to the 300s (using Ozzy for Black Sabbath element of sum).

Comment

2013 Gigs

Wreckless Eric and Amy Rigby last Thursday at Stereo in Glasgow, excellent show.

Still touring, think they hit London on Friday.

Comment

2013 Gigs

Factory Floor are at the ICA this Thursday although it won't be so much of a "gig".

Comment

2013 Gigs

Paul Kelly and Neil Finn were excellent. Top class musicianship, a good rapport on stage and great venue at King's Park. Bloody expensive (everything is in Perth these days) but worth it.

Comment

2013 Gigs

slackster wrote: Eight Rounds Rapid were the support: featuring an even worse vocalist than Wilko, which is some going
                        Nice review Slackster. For some reason it left me not saddened but with a big smile.

With respect to my good friends Calvert W and Bored E, Norman Watt Roy has to be the Daddy of bassists. He's even more demonic than Wilko.

Isn't 8RR's singer Wilko's son Simon Wilkinson?

Comment

2013 Gigs

Pere Ubu at Mono in Glasgow next month should be a blast. Thinking about Ulrich Schnauss tomorrow, though not convinced he's all that.

Comment

2013 Gigs

With respect to my good friends Calvert W and Bored E, Norman Watt Roy has to be the Daddy of bassists
                            Oh, no argument here, Norman's a stunning player.
                            I was just making the point on the other thread about Cliff Williams being perfect for his genre.
                            There's more than one way to skin a cat.
                            Norman's got the groove happening.

Comment

2013 Gigs

This summers Somerset House schedule went on sale last friday. We'll be at Richard Hawley on the sunday night.

Comment

2013 Gigs

Johnny Marr was brilliant in Birmingham on Saturday. The stuff from his new album sounded great and as for the back catalogue; Bigmouth..., There Is A Light..., How Soon Is Now, Getting Away With It, to name but a few. Awesome show and heartily recommended if he comes your way.

Comment

2013 Gigs

The Avett Brothers were excellent last weekend in Manchester. We realised that they are one of those bands that sound very different when their songs are played very loud.

Comment

2013 Gigs

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street band were simply brilliant. Rocked up version of Ghost of Tom Joad the stand out in a 23 song, three hour set.

I know it's not terribly trendy to be a fan, but there can't be many better live acts around.

Comment

2013 Gigs

Is he still doing the tribute to Clarence during 10th Avenue?

Comment

2013 Gigs

An unexpected treat for me this evening, having just bagged a ticket from a pal who can't attend, for the long since sold out Black Crowes gig in Glasgow.

Two and a half hours, apparently, so I'm glad I'm upstairs in the seats. With a bit of luck they'll play everything in chronological order, and I can sneak off early before they get into shit stuff off of the LPs that I never bothered with.

Comment

2013 Gigs

Well, that was all a bit of a let down, really.

Comment

2013 Gigs

British Sea Power, tomorrow - LP launch - Boat trip then 100 Club Krankenhaus type shenanigans.

Comment

2013 Gigs

Jah Wobble plays Islington on the 26th, which means I have to rearrange seeing Marc Almond at Wilton's for another night .l and the next day is Ronsonfest at the ICA, not a gig, but a tribute night.

Comment

2013 Gigs

Saw Steve Mason in Manchester tonight. A very enjoyable set all told - a lot of his stuff is drum and bass driven Stone Roses-ish funk and the crowd lapped it up. My first time at Gorilla club (in the arches opposite Ritz for those who know the city) and a pretty trendy crowd turned up. I spent the evening stood next to the fragrant Maxine Peake.

Comment

2013 Gigs

I will be the first to say what we're all thinking. You stood next to Maxine Peake - you are a God amongst Gods!

I took in a rare gig last night. British Sea Power, who were very polished, probably a bit too polished and therefore a little bit boring. Though Machineries of Joy to start was very well-planned.

They were supported by Brown Brogues, a Spizz/White Stripesian punky set of noisenics from Lancashire. Jolly nice fellows they are too.

Comment

2013 Gigs

Solas, an Irish/ American folk band for me tonight.

If they ever fucking turn up for soundcheck, that is.

Tardiness does nothing to improve my already dim view of musicians.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X