2013 Gigs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2013 Gigs

See, that's a fucking proper gig, none of that bed -wetting singer-songwriter misery for gav.
    I salute any band who've dedicated their lives to ridding the word of false metal.

The health and safety-conscious authorities at a local student union insisted that the Manowar fans hand in their swords, shields, chainmail, Viking helmets, etc. before the show and issued them with receipts to collect their property on the way out.

The ignominy.
    Having to stand in line to get your Claymore out of the lost property Valhalla.

Comment

2013 Gigs

I may oil myself up, to get a proper sheen.

Think going to a Manowar gig is something everyone should do at least once, like seeing Paris. It's my first time, still not sure if I'll emerge more of a man, or will be emasculated by the experience.

Edinburgh Studio 24 did a similar thing at a Turisas gig a few years ago, the cloakroom looked like an armoury. To be fair, I imagine chainmail could be quite chafing in a packed crowd.

Comment

2013 Gigs

You'll certainly emerge with a touch of tinnitus.

Comment

2013 Gigs

Slight change of pace, but just got tickets for me and my wife to see Sigur Ros at Jodrell Bank in August

Comment

2013 Gigs

The Who doing Quadrophenia at The Echo Arena in June. Couldn't resist.

Comment

2013 Gigs

Home alone at short notice tonight, I went to see Cowbell at Power's in Kilburn. Very enjoyable; boy/girl, vocalist-guitarist/drummer duo, so obviously a comparison to be drawn. They were great, with an R'n'B, twangy style rather than the nano-Zepp the format can dictate. Not sure how it will translate to bigger venues but they definitely deserve a chance to try.

Comment

2013 Gigs

I'm going to see a band called IRON HEARSE this coming Saturday.

Last Saturday I played a SHOW in Brixton and there was a band on the bill called GURT..great name.

Comment

2013 Gigs

Calvert wrote: Did the old man recover? Hope so...Andy's a good lad, i've cursed him up and down for his pernickitiness with regards to his monitor mix, but no harm in him at all
                  Calvert will be pleased to hear Andy White's Da Barry recovered from his illness.

Andy's Brum gig this week (to an intimate audience of 26 fans) combined songs old and new with readings from '21st century troubador'. Including a tale about being chatted up by Bruce Springsteen's bassist's grand-daughter in a Los Angeles bar. Apparently he still sings from the crotch although like, old- and Sting's even hotter! Rock stars eh?

The man hasn't forgotten his roots either, introducing the set with an apology for it all kicking off again down Cyprus Avenue, quickly followed by some agit prop with '12th July' and old favorite 'Religious persuasion'. He even remembered to wish Benedict (John Player Number 3?) well in retirement.

Good luck to Andy, Cathy and the crew for the rest of the tour.

Comment

2013 Gigs

I'm going to see the folk singer Jim Moray at Cecil Sharp House tomorrow. I know most of you won't care, but I think he's the best thing in English folk at the moment.

Comment

2013 Gigs

From Echo & The Bunnymen's Facebook page:

"With nearly all shows sold out for 2013’s Teenage Cancer Trust concerts at the Royal Albert Hall, additional special guests have been confirmed. Primal Scream will be joined by the legendary Echo And The Bunnymen on Thursday 21st March."

Comment

2013 Gigs

Local Natives at the Kaziemer Club in Liverpool last night.

Never tried either the band or the venue before, but I would again. Stornoway are playing there in March and I wouldn't mind going back.

Comment

2013 Gigs

Disco Child Ballads wrote: I'm going to see the folk singer Jim Moray at Cecil Sharp House tomorrow. I know most of you won't care, but I think he's the best thing in English folk at the moment
                          I love his cover of XTC's All you pretty girls. Any others recommended?

Comment

2013 Gigs

Duncan Gardner wrote: ...old favorite 'Religious persuasion'...
                            Now there's a blast from the past; I bought the single after seeing AW on Whistle Test during its Mark Ellen phase.

Comment

2013 Gigs

Busy times coming up -

Richard Hawley on Monday night in Edinburgh.

The Stranglers/The Godfathers start of March at the same place.

Wreckless Eric & Amy Rigby in Glasgow the following week.

Eyeing Nick Cave tickets up as well.

Comment

2013 Gigs

And fucking great Richard Hawley was as well, exceeded all expectations.

Comment

2013 Gigs

He's really good, isn't he?

I've got Scant Regard tomorrow night

http://www.scantregard.com/fr_home.cfm

World's best drummer Dave Barbarossa from AATA/BWW on drums.

Have Marc Almond at Wilton's in April. Nothing yet booked in between.

Comment

2013 Gigs

I went to see Neon Neon at the Roundhouse the other day. They played in a little vault under the main hall that was previously a coal store, to about fifty people. It was billed as a 'laptop set' which turned out to mean Boom Bip pulling the tunes from, yes, a laptop and set of decks while Gruff provided vocals and other embellishments. He had brought his audience participation placards along which in the confined space reminded me rather of Bono's flag when U2 were on The Tube during their Red Rocks phase.

The new NN stuff was highly tuneful electropop with more of an italo/eurodisco tinge than Stainless Style, befitting the subject matter. They rather hammered the point home by mixing in Sabrina's Boys (Summertime Love), which I've always liked and am happy to take without its slightly embarrassing video.

Comment

2013 Gigs

Wish i'd known about that Neon Neon set.

Saw Nashville based singer Andrew Combs play his first UK gig at the Birkbeck Tavern in Leyton on Saturday evening. Warmly received and look forward to seeing him support Caitlin Rose this week.

Comment

2013 Gigs

MsD wrote: He's really good, isn't he?

I've got Scant Regard tomorrow night

http://www.scantregard.com/fr_home.cfm

World's best drummer Dave Barbarossa from AATA/BWW on drums.

Have Marc Almond at Wilton's in April. Nothing yet booked in between.
                                        Aye he is. Very funny man as well, some nice self effacing between song larking around, enjoyed it more than most shows I've been to recently.

Comment

2013 Gigs

We took the kids to see Ladysmith Black Mambazo on Friday night. Fantastic show all around. One or two songs hit the ten minute mark and they'd clearly forgotten how they were supposed to wrap it up, but otherwise great.

Comment

2013 Gigs

Hahaha
                                            You're soooo right-on.

What was wrong with the adventure playground ?

Comment

2013 Gigs

RobM wrote:
                                              Aye he is. Very funny man as well, some nice self effacing between song larking around, enjoyed it more than most shows I've been to recently.
                                              He's really sweet on The Joy of the Single, on BBC4/iPlayer.

Comment

2013 Gigs

David Byrne & St. Vincent have announced a few UK dates for their 'Love This Giant' tour. Not on sale yet;

August 27, 2013
                                                London, UK
                                                Roundhouse

August 28, 2013
                                                Birmingham, UK
                                                Birmingham Symphony Hall

August 29, 2013
                                                Glasgow, UK
                                                Glasgow Royal Concert Hall

August 30, 2013
                                                Salisbury, UK
                                                End of the Road Festival

Comment

2013 Gigs

Efterklang at the Rock and Roll Hotel last night had me floating with pleasure, especially the songs from last year's sonically epic 'Piramida' album. Great bunch of modest, pleasant lads too, and an intriguing and lovely sort of folk-classical support band, Jherek Bischoff, who couldn't have been more stylistically removed from the glacial, choral electronica of the main act if they'd booked The Exploited instead.

Comment

2013 Gigs

I have to say that the very thought of The Exploited barmy army turning up at that gig tickles me.

Villagers up next for me.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X