2013 Gigs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2013 Gigs

Might as well get it started. I got off to a wallet-busting stormer by paying $87.50 to watch Morrissey. No, I don't know why I did it either.

Not much else coming up on the calendar that I fancy, though I might go and see Ladysmith Black Mambazo next week.

2013 Gigs

That's weird; I was actually in the process of writing an OP for a concert thread when I noticed yours pop up, imp.

Anyway, I'm going to see Neon Neon in February, Johnny Marr in March, which is a much an excuse for a beery weekend in Birmingham as anything, and The Knife in May.

I'm aiming to be more selective this year than in the past, having been quite prone to impulse buying tickets and then finding it feels more like a duty than a thrill as the date approaches.

Comment

2013 Gigs

My now Aus-based old school chum Andy White (sometime of ALT) is touring England in February, after four dates in Toronto.

Then there's the Biscuit in Bilston in May.

Before that, and if stops snowing, I should be at a ceilidh in Great Malvern next weekend.

Comment

2013 Gigs

I have tickets to see the Avett Brothers in Manchester in March. Really looking forward to it. No other plans this year yet.

Comment

2013 Gigs

Went to see Clutch at the Melkweg last night. Despite not being on top of their discography to any degree, I had a delightful time revelling in their seriously hard jams and the athletic and engaging stage work of front man, Neil Fallon.

Comment

2013 Gigs

While in the Dam on holiday last term, I strolled past the Melkweg and was idly wondering whether 80s experimentalists Prag Vec ever played there.

Turns out they didn't.

Comment

2013 Gigs

My now Aus-based old school chum Andy White (sometime of ALT) is touring England in February, after four dates in Toronto.
              Andy's so posh he makes my teeth itch - he has a son called Sebastian.

2013 gigs?
              I'll have around 200 of 'em at least.

Comment

2013 Gigs

Calvert wrote: Andy [White]'s so posh he makes my teeth itch - he has a son called Sebastian
                Heh. His Da, Barry, used to write those anguished op-ed columns in the Bellylaugh. Andy published his first poem, 'Riots', aged nine.

I have no son, possibly a lucky escape from somebody being called Francis Charles (after Messrs Puskas, Beckenbauer, Berry and Holly).

Comment

2013 Gigs

Benjm wrote: I'm going to see Neon Neon in February, Johnny Marr in March, .
                  He's got a solo album out soon. Does/can he sing?

Comment

2013 Gigs

I've been to Kraftwerk in Düsseldorf twice this month and in April I'm seeing German band Tocotronic ( There will certainly be more, but I haven't got anything else planned as yet.

Comment

2013 Gigs

HMHB in Sheffield at Lomas Hall next month, which will feel odd not being at The Boardwalk

Comment

2013 Gigs

His Da, Barry...
                        Tell me you're joking, please?

Comment

2013 Gigs

No, Barry and Andy White are father and son. I'm obviously missing some back-story here?

Comment

2013 Gigs

You sure?

Comment

2013 Gigs

Whoosh...don't tell G-Man, I've almost finished his course of 70s luurve-soul for beginners

The other Barry.

Comment

2013 Gigs

Blimey!

Did the old man recover?
                                Hope so.

Andy's a good lad, i've cursed him up and down for his pernickitiness with regards to his monitor mix, but no harm in him at all.
                                There's a great Canadian rocumentary he presented around '94 about the NI music scene called 'The New Music' which we were discussing last time i saw him.
                                I put him onto a chap who has a copy on DVD.

Comment

2013 Gigs

WOM wrote:
                                  Originally posted by Benjm
                                  I'm going to see Neon Neon in February, Johnny Marr in March, .
                                  He's got a solo album out soon. Does/can he sing?
                                  He's not a bad singer these days, maybe more competent than inspirational. Example here.

Comment

2013 Gigs

Yeah, that's not bad. Nice guitar work, too.

Comment

2013 Gigs

WOM - the guitar work is what he is there for, isn't it?

(and John Kettley is a weatherman).

Comment

2013 Gigs

caja-dglh wrote: WOM - the guitar work is what he is there for, isn't it?

(and John Kettley is a weatherman).
                                        Well, quite.

I got nuthin' else.

Comment

2013 Gigs

imp wrote: I got off to a wallet-busting stormer by paying $87.50 to watch Morrissey. No, I don't know why I did it either.
                                          Last year I said to someone that I wish I had seen Fleetwood Mac sometime, and then they announced a tour this year, so I looked into going, but a ticket was $166. This did not include travel in the time machine back to 1977 or even 1987. There were tickets for around $85, but not for people with fear of heights.

So two weeks after that, I'll be seeing another band I hadn't seen back in the day, Killing Joke, and it's only $20. Between this and the Jesus and Mary Chain show last year, I'm the female version of the guy in the upper left corner of this comic.

Comment

2013 Gigs

There should have been an announcement at 10am regarding a new British Sea Power album and tour, but the Secretary claims not to have set his alarm.

Dates are up on See Tickets though. http://www.seetickets.com/search?q=british+sea+power

In fact appears tickets are on sale now from BSP site.

http://britishseapowertickets.sandbag.uk.com/Store/DisplayItems.html

Meanwhile, I have two Caitlin Rose gigs to look forward to next month and enjoyed an Ulrich Schnauss set at Rough Trade East earlier this week.
                                            I mean to try and see more things at Rough Trade this year.

Comment

2013 Gigs

Duncan Gardner wrote: Before that, and if stops snowing, I should be at a ceilidh in Great Malvern next weekend
                                              Excellent night out of Dad-dancing to top Country and Western Mercia band Loose Cannons. It was a Burns night celebration to raise funds for the local Green Party. I managed a medley of Some hae meat/ The Divil is Dead during the open-mic bit in the interval.

Comment

2013 Gigs

I'm going to see Manowar in March.

I'm really not sure any other comment is needed.

Comment

2013 Gigs

gavc23 wrote: I'm going to see Manowar in March.

I'm really not sure any other comment is needed.
                                                  Are you going to dress up?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X