Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scottish Football 2013-14

Can you wait, well, can you?

Scottish clubs will hold a vote on a possible new league structure before the end of January.Scottish Premier League clubs have proposed a 12-12-18 set-up and Scottish Football League clubs will now put that idea to a ballot.

Top league of 12, top teams get to play each other four times, leagues split up half way through the year, Regan and Doncaster get to keep their jobs. Exactly what the fans have been demanding.

Can we expect supporter groups to apply pressure on their boards to vote against this, threaten boycotts, not buy season tickets, that kind of thing? No, probably not. It's a clusterfuck but it excludes Rangers so I suppose a few will be happy.

AMMS wrote: It's a clusterfuck but it excludes Rangers so I suppose a few will be happy.
    Does it though? Will the champions of the 3rd Division (whoever they may be) not be rewarded with promotion to the 'Championship' (for fuck sake). If they did well they could be playing in the top league in two years time. It looks to me like Celtic playing Queen's Park, Montrose or AN Other four times for TV is what this is all about.

But it is a clusterfuck, a cluster of clusterfucks. Give me any format where you play each other once at home and once away.

Comment

From what I understand the winners of Division 3 will remain in the bottom division along with every other team in that league plus some from Division 2.

The SPL will change its name to the Premier Division, SFL 1 will become the Championship and the rest will become the National League. No way will Celtic be playing Queens Park and Montrose at any point in the the near future.

The only people who want 4 matches a season are the directors of SPL clubs and it seems some SFL clubs too.

The pertinent point is the top two leagues in the country basically change their name and nothing else.

Comment

AMMS, I know you probably want the current season to end as quickly as possible, but fucking hell . . .

Comment

I'm astonished that the proposals would keep Rangers in the bottom division for another season. I assumed that allowing the Div 3 champions into the second tier would be an essential part of the process, and I'm not even convinced it would have been met with resistance (although that's just a hunch).

Either way, it's an uninspiring set of proposals.

Regan and Doncaster get to keep their jobs. Exactly what the fans have been demanding.
          ORLY?

Edit: I know that's not what you were saying really!

Comment

Jim Traynor isn't best pleased.

Comment

The official site seeming to be groaning under the pressure, so here it is again, preserved for posterity in case it gets taken down:

THE shape of things to come, three divisions of 12-12-18, has been agreed in principle.

This abomination will now be pulled and stretched by selected members of the SPL and SFL in a desperate attempt to make it more presentable.

Good luck with that.

It would be easier trying to iron out the lines on the face of the old broad, Madge, in Benidorm.

12-12-18. It’s ridiculous, especially when you remember the two 12s will fragment into three eights.

Yet this time supporters will just have to buy into it. Whatever happened to that new and bold notion that fans were all important?

It isn’t that long ago clubs, particularly those in the top flight, were solemnly insisting that ignoring the views of fans would be akin to financial suicide.

Remember? It was when the game was wrestling with the problem of what to do with Rangers.

All the clubs were squealing that the wishes of fans had to be granted. If you swallowed any of that bilge you probably also believed in sporting integrity.

Of course it was all nonsense. Sporting Integrity was a cloak of convenience, albeit a rather thin, practically transparent one, behind which club leaders huddled together to come up with sanctions.

Rangers had to be punished, they deserved to be punished but it seemed as if additional penalties were being randomly introduced depending on who was in which meeting.

Many Rangers fans like to think the frenzy to cause the club as much additional pain as possible was driven by one club but that wasn’t strictly the case. Many fans of many clubs waded in but this is not to say Celtic fans or their club didn’t attempt to influence the outcome of debates on Rangers and possible sanctions.

Of course they did. And they are still at it on social media sites and on blogs clattered out by individuals who are no better than semi-literate.

The sheer hypocrisy of what is happening within Hampden’s corridors of power right now will be lost on them but let’s not pretend sporting integrity or the wishes of supporters really are important to all those clubs pushing for this change.

If they were listening to fans they wouldn’t be sticking with a top division of 12 , and if there was any integrity there would be no rush to bring in changes for the start of next season.

If, as seems likely, the structure is altered for 2013-14 supporters won’t get what they’ve already paid for, especially those following teams striving for promotion. Actually this entire season will be rendered meaningless.

Sporting integrity won’t merely be compromised, it’ll be crushed but this is what happens when desperation slips in and throttles reason.

This belief won’t sit well with the few who are more or less running the SPL and influencing thinking within that desperate organisation but they can’t complain. After all, they’ve dismissed Rangers’ views completely.

This club, the biggest one in the country, were not invited to take part in talks which will shape the game’s future.

We are then entitled to conclude that this club are not important, which is strange indeed when so many fans of other clubs continue to be obsessed by Rangers, who are simply getting on with their own affairs asking no favour from anyone.

We do, however, expect commonsense to be applied, along with fair play.

Look, Rangers will return to the top flight, which will of course have to be rebranded. Rangers will take a seat at the head of the table where, despite the latest insult of being shut out of reconstruction talks, we will act with the good of Scottish football in mind.

We’ll work through the divisions and we will return stronger and better than ever before.

This club accepted their sanctions and moved on but too many others have been unable to do the same. They continue their assaults and while the deranged, who are using social media sites as conduits for their twisted agendas, should be ignored there are more than a few in the mainstream still maligning the club at every opportunity.

In a BBC radio debate last Saturday night one pundit, in a matter-of-fact manner, said Charles Green speaks with ‘forked tongue.’ No attempt to explain or justify the statement, just as no explanation was offered when another radio voice claimed there was a dishonesty about Walter Smith when he went public with a late bid for the club.

Word of advice gentlemen. From now on be very careful when talking or writing about this club.

To paraphrase something said about another club, Rangers will not be treated less than others. And although there is no desire to pick fights, be assured that no one will attack Rangers with impunity.

Better, however, to quote Bill Struth: ‘Never fear, inevitably we shall have our years of failure and when they arrive, we must reveal tolerance and sanity. You do that, you will emerge stronger than before.’

Tolerance and sanity. That’s what Rangers will demonstrate and maintain, especially when back at the summit.

After all, someone has to. 12-12-18. Dear God.

Comment

Wasn't Jim Traynor an unbiaised commentator, once?

I think its an ok idea, actually. Surprised that ... sorry AMMS, dont know your official team name here... were not parachuted in, but whatever. 1 more season in the sticks, and you're back. That's fine.

I don't actually give a flying fuck about what you lot did or didn't do. (just skimmed that traynor piece... what did he say?)

You beat us fair and square last time, and we (old joke alert) have just signed John Higgins, to keep in second place, Farewell my pretties. And thanks for the cash, by the way. Everyone needed it.

Admittedly, we are playing rather well this year, and if you fuckers hadn't been in the fucking league, we might have won it again.

Best wishes. DONT come back.

signed:
                A Spider.

Comment

MNII... I have read it thrice (thrice, I tell thee). Still dont know what it says.

Is he saying 'sooner', or is he saying "we'll be back, so lock up your daughters, and like our team, we will change your name" type thing?

Mentalist. Ominously.

Comment

Oh, and AMMS: never stop caring. See you in the cup semis, this year. (Oh wait, have to put my 'Celtic' head on...)

Comment

Is Jim Traynor's new job to work towards ensuring smoother and more effective relations between Rangers and the press, or is it to sit there all day bashing out bad Daily Record columns for the club website?

Comment

Au contraire AB2, I’m enjoying this season much more than I expected, last season was the one that couldn’t end soon enough. As for Traynor it seems he’s been brought in to produce articles the fans will enjoy. The club website (most clubs in my experience) has always been a bit insipid, not particularly engaging, lots of bland interviews with players about how they hope to return from injury soon or maintain their goal scoring form, that kind of thing. That’s fine but it hardly made me want to visit on a regular basis. I think this is the first attempt at creating club media the supporters will actually choose to read/watch. It’s only meant for our consumption after all. That being said I don’t disagree with anything he wrote.

Ger, do you really think it’s an OK idea? I think it’s a terrible idea on every level but mainly because it blatantly disregards the wishes of pretty much every supporter of every club I know, with the possible exception of you.

I didn’t start the thread purely as a Rangers supporter. This doesn’t really affect us all that much, it doesn’t make it easier or faster to get back to the top league, indeed it makes it a little harder. It’s a little annoying to know that this season is going to become nothing more than a series of friendlies, but in the grand scheme of things it’s still better than last season. We’re not reliant on TV money currently so it won’t make any difference to us that way either.
                        I started the thread because I’m a Scottish football fan and this reconstruction feels like a missed opportunity. Realistically nothing has changed at the top of the game and from my experiences of the last 12 months that’s exactly where change is needed most. It would be a shame if the thread got side-tracked by focusing on Rangers, for once we really aren’t to blame this time.

Comment

Just read the reconstruction proposals, just mad.

The top 8 play each other 4 times a year as usual.

The bottom 4 play off against the top 4 of the 2nd group with points set to zero.

Just seems like a more artificial attempt at dodging the key issue of not enough teams good enough to have a league where the teams only play each other twice.

Comment

AMMS wrote: As for Traynor it seems he’s been brought in to produce articles the fans will enjoy. The club website (most clubs in my experience) has always been a bit insipid, not particularly engaging, lots of bland interviews with players about how they hope to return from injury soon or maintain their goal scoring form, that kind of thing. That’s fine but it hardly made me want to visit on a regular basis. I think this is the first attempt at creating club media the supporters will actually choose to read/watch. It’s only meant for our consumption after all. That being said I don’t disagree with anything he wrote.
                            I fully appreciate where you're coming from, in that hardly anyone with a brain enjoys reading the usual PR bran flakes. But if Traynor spends the next couple of years in John Rambo mode, he'll either blast a hole in Rangers' foot or get sacked quickly, or both.

Everyone knows Rangers are going to win the division by 25-odd points. They'll come top next season too, and in 2015 as well. There is actually no need whatsoever for Traynor to engage in any of this stuff for now. Him getting high on the whiff of cordite at a relatively early moment in his new job isn't what Rangers want. I'll refrain from throwing Jock Brown's name at you, and instead lob an even more miserable failure over the parapet, Terry Cassidy. Red meat is a tonic for the troops in dark times, but when things take a relative upturn, people like Traynor have an unfortunate habit of looking like absolute poltroons.

Comment

Two things: 1 35 points, and 2 who is this team named... oh have you done this?

AMMS: I expect better of you. Do you want to stay away another year? Its really that simple. Do you or dont you?

Oh, and by the way, this time, as always, I speak as a Queens Park fan. My Celtic head, went with my football playing brother. I get to choose. And, normally sir, you speak some good stuff.

Not this time. And from my QP Point of view, what other thing did you have, that you thought I had in mind? (OK, that was crap, but, do you think I am speaking as a catholic, or a football fan?)

Comment

And, unfortunately, only one applies. And I am shit at being a catholic (and a football fan, so dont, you know, take anything interesting on board, you silly man.)

Comment

AMMS: I just had to walk my partner through 'Just Another Saturday'. I am 46 years old. I no longer take sides, and neither will my children. And if I talk bollocks, fine.

I wish you and your team the very best of luck. [strike]Stop talking bollocks[/strike]. Good luck, its over.

Sorry, really bad day at home. I have been decorating the shit out of home, and ... sorry.

Comment

The reconstruction proposals will be more of the same dull fare. But what format would Rangers propose the reconstruction to take, because Traynor's incontinent ramblings certainly don't make it clear.

Comment

From Rangers point of view (assuming they win SFL3) the reconstruction is going to be especially shit, essentially playing for nothing this year. But if they go ahead with this I'm not sure there is a fair solution to what happens with the team which wins SFL3. If they were to be placed in the second tier they will have leapfrogged several teams in SFL2 without having proved themselves worthy to do so. If they are placed in the third tier then they are essentially receiving no benefit from winning SFL3. I guess the argument could be made that they are moving up from tier 4 to tier 3, it's just that every other SFL3 team will be doing the same.

Leaving that aside the whole idea is an utter nonsense, designed to bring artificial tension and excitement to the competition. The league of 18 at the bottom is going to be especially shit with no pyramid system in place below and consequently no relegation. 10 - 13 teams will regularly be playing for absolutely sod all every season from around November or December.

Also any attempt to introduce reconstruction mid-season is wrong. Teams should know exactly what they are playing for at the start of the season and not have the goalposts shifted half way through the season. We are currently second in SFL 2, which should be a play-off spot, but is it now an automatic promotion place? That we've played over half the season and still don't know what we're playing for is an utter joke.

Comment

Ger, I’m not sure what it is I’ve said you are unhappy with? I think the 12-12-18 proposal is inherently flawed. It genuinely has nothing to do with the club I support or the league they are in.

Mr Beast, as members of the SFL the club supported the 16-10-16 proposal. It’s not without its flaws either. But again, this isn’t about Rangers.

AB2, yeah, you make a good point. There was always the danger that Traynor would become the story. That being said if his remit is to attract more visitors to the website then he’s been a spectacular success already.

Dink, whoever wins Div 3 this season is not really any worse off, they’ll be playing the rump of Div 2 next season as well as the same Div 3 clubs. As I’ve said in this thread before people need to look past Rangers here. We’ll be no worse off and 17 other clubs will get a home match against us next season. Your bank manager will be praying you don’t get promoted...

I can accept the argument that the creation of one league body is a step forward and that this is the price to be paid for that but the arrogance of those involved in it is still breathtaking. Regan actually said about supporters "I think there's an educational exercise that we need collectively to go through,"! No Stewart, there isn’t, we get it, we understand that you simply don’t care what supporters think.

Comment

Thanks AMMS. If the 16-10-16 proposal doesn't suggest all clubs just play each other home and away - and I can't see how it would given the 10 in the second tier - then it's fundamentally no better than yesterday's half arsed idea.

Happy to be corrected by anyone who feels differently and has bothered to stay awake through the proposals and counter proposals. Failing that, Geoffrey's idea has as much merit as any.

Comment

The increasingly hilarious Charles Green has announced that Rangers will leave Scottish football if the 12-12-18 proposal is implemented.

Comment

AB2 wrote: The increasingly hilarious Charles Green has announced that Rangers will leave Scottish football if the 12-12-18 proposal is implemented.
                                              While I find Green a scream sometimes AB2 I'd be inclined to join him here.

I'm assuming that every job description which is sent out to applicants for posts in Scottish football has 'Must be a daft cunt' under the competencies.

Comment

Would a different combination of numbers be more to his liking?

Perhaps 12-7-16(90)?

Comment

Ouch . . .

Comment

Working...
                                                  X