Wiff Waff for the Riff Raff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Olympic basketball is the highest level for the international game. It's just that most fans care more about the NBA or perhaps another domestic league.

Comment

And it is reasonably a world wide competition.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote:

Cricket certainly is acting as if they have a chance, but how much of that is Indian posturing is a real question.
        "MCC backs Twenty20 to become Olympic sport at 2024 Games"

Well they would, wouldn't they?

Comment

It's back!

Comment

Pot Black (and blue, red, yellow & green).

Comment

It's going to be an odd tournament if snooker gets in. On the principle (as being applied to golf) that only 4 players can enter from any one country if they are in the top 15 in the world, and only 2 if they're outside the top 15, you'd have O'Sullivan, Selby, Hawkins and Allen from the UK, Robertson from Australia, and Ding Junhui from China. Then you'd get Xiao from China, as well, Marco Fu, Fergal O'Brien, and Robin Hull who represents Finland. I think Ken Doherty would still get in as Ireland's second player. God knows who'd make up the presumed field of 32.

Comment

Unless Allen does a McIlroy.

Comment

I've had a look through the current world rankings. Going off the players on that list you could get 30 players qualified with no more than four per nation. This does mean including five players who share =123rd place on the rankings list with 0 ranking points. Add in a place for the top Japanese player (as hosts) and hope that one of the Northern Irish players chooses to play for the Republic, and you're there.

Current Olympic qualifiers
                  Ranking - Name - Nationality
                  1 Robertson AUS
                  2 Junhui CHN
                  3 O'Sullivan GBR
                  4 Selby GBR
                  5 Hawkins GBR
                  6 Allen GBR
                  10 Fu CHN
                  20 Guodong CHN
                  25 Wenbo CHN
                  28 O'Brien IRL
                  33 Maflin NOR
                  38 Doherty IRL
                  41 Poomjaeng THA
                  53 Mehta IND
                  54 Morris AUS
                  62 Un-Nooh THA
                  66 Brecel BLG
                  69 Saengkhan THA
                  71 Hull FIN
                  88 Calabrese AUS
                  90 Drago MLT
                  93 Figueiredo BRA
                  98 Borg MLT
                  103 Yotharuck THA
                  113 Ursenbacher SWI
                  123 Saif QAT
                  123 Ayouri IRN
                  123 Abumdas LBY
                  123 Mifsud AUS
                  123 Luong MLY
                  nr Japanese champion
                  Tbc [strike]Northern[/strike] Irish player

A 16 player field might be more plausible; assuming the host nation still kept a place then Mehta or Morris would be the last man in, depending on Irish representation.

Comment

There are a dozen different countries represented in the top 20 of the World Pool rankings and with the game being big in Japan, Taipei and especially the Phillipines, you'd have thought there'd be more appetite for pool at the Tokyo Olympics than snooker, if it were a choice between the two.

Comment

Snooker snookered.

Comment

Rogin the Kitten Minder wrote: You'd have thought badminton was more up there on Hearn's list. You know, turning it into an equivalent of women's beach volleyball. With shuttlecocks. Phwoar, etc.
                        Hearn was on 'Fighting Talk' recently, it was all too oleaginous towards him and one of the questions for the panel was "What sport do you think Barry Hearn should get involved with next?".

The man himself's answer was netball due to it's current relative low status but huge potential especially with the growth in womens sport in general.

I still find netball a more exciting sport than basketball to watch, especially live.

Comment

Olympics: Skateboarding & surfing among possible Tokyo 2020 sports

Comment

And not Squash, disappointingly.

Comment

Presumably because the Japanese aren't particularly good at it.

The choices of demonstration sports are always rigged in favour of the home nation.

Though given the logo debacle, I'm surprised that graphic plagiarism didn't make it.

Comment

Talking of Table Tennis, there have been some madly spectacular rallies recently. First there was this, which is pretty extraordinary for it's length, but in terms of pattern (one attacking, another defending) is quite samey. But then something half as long topped it. What net?

Comment

Baseball and softball, karate, sport climbing, skateboarding and surfing have all been recommended for inclusion at Tokyo 2020 by the IOC Executive Board

Comment

Good. I was SO FUCKING PISSED OFF that London didn't have baseball.

Comment

Continuing the occasional series of extraordinary play from proper (i.e. non-Hearn) Table Tennis, we have this beaut. The look on his opponent's face is something, isn't it?

Comment

London will host the 2018 Team World Cup in February 2018, to be held in the Copper Box. I'm going to look out for tickets and potentially try and head up for a day.

Comment

I don't know quite where to put this but as Modern Pentahlon was discussed on this thread before - there was an astounding finish to the World Championships ;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/modern-pentathlon/45520474

I can't help thinking it was the leader's premature fist pump celebration that gave the Brit impetus for his sprint.
                                          Last edited by Ray de Galles; 14-09-2018, 15:34.

Comment

I think you’re right.

Too bad they didn’t have a camera that capture Cooke’s entire sprint.
                                            Last edited by ursus arctos; 14-09-2018, 15:39.

Comment

For fuck's sake! ;

Breaking - a competitive form of breakdancing - has been confirmed as part of the final line-up for the Paris 2024 Olympics.

Comment

Well, I'm not watching that. Not good, and not as hilariously bad as ski ballet.

Comment

I'd have thought that Parcours thing was more what to expect in France. Or is that already in?
                                                  Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 07-12-2020, 21:18.

Comment

Jumping over a stick is already in, and the medals seem to only go to tall skinny people. Come to think of it, so is rhythmic gymnastics, synchronized swimming and ice dancing. So I'm alright with breakdancing in principle.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X