County Cups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

County Cups

Southport are through to the final of the Liverpool Senior Cup, having beaten Litherland REMYCA on Tuesday night. They will play Prescot Cables in the final, to be played somewhere and at some time to be determined.

Strangely this success doesn't seem to be counterbalancing the negative atmosphere of Southport's league form.

Comment

County Cups

Hitchin retain the Herts Senior Cup by beating Bishops Stortford 2–1.

Comment

County Cups

Watched Bracknell Town win their first trophy since 1999* this evening, a 2-0 victory over Binfield in the Berks and Bucks Senior Trophy (for county sides at Step 5, the proper one is between Maidenhead and Hungerford). A deserved win for Bracknell who have now played local rivals Binfield five times this season and won every single game.

The game was played at Windsor's Stag Meadow. The club are having difficulties with their tenants (The Crown Estate), but it's a wonderful playing surface. They may well be joined next season in the Combined Counties League by Virginia Water sharing at Windsor who have one of the more striking badges in non-league

* - Shrouded in myth and legend The Stimulus Cup was a post season friendly tournament between Bracknell Town, Camberley, a visiting Italian side and "Bracknell All Stars". The Italian side turned up late so the games were made up of halves 35 minutes long. It's been on the "honours roll", in match programmes and wikipedia so long people are loathed to remove it.

Comment

County Cups

The Reading Senior Cup semi final between Binfield and Woodcote Stoke Row was abandoned yesterday evening after six red cards were shown with about half an hour remaining (a fight broke out). Woodcote were 1-0 up at the time and had four players red-carded.

The other semi-final between Wokingham & Emmbrook and Bracknell scheduled for 29th April has been re-scheduled until the 13th May while the Cup committee work out what to do.

It will be interesting to see if the rest of the competition can be played before the summer before disciplinary matters are sorted out. The final is normally at the Madejski Stadium.

Comment

County Cups

A few weeks ago Shrewsbury fielded a youth team and got beaten 2-0 in the Shropshire Senior Cup final. A few hardy folks went, including my Dad who said it was dismal. Interestingly, the list of winners in the very non-league looking programme produced for the game did not include Sheffield Wednesday who were the automatic finalists a couple of years ago when Shrewsbury and Telford basically played off for the honour of playing them.

I'm a traditionalist at heart and think the SSC should be played as part of the pre-season build up.

Comment

County Cups

OK, I'll bite - how come Sheffield Wednesday were in the Shropshire Senior Cup?

Comment

County Cups

Weren't Wednesday invited by the County FA?

Wednesday no longer play in the Sheffield and Hallamshire Senior Cup, due to entry being restricted to levels 5 - 11 of the football pyramid.

Comment

County Cups

Patrick Thistle wrote: A few weeks ago Shrewsbury fielded a youth team and got beaten 2-0 in the Shropshire Senior Cup final. A few hardy folks went, including my Dad who said it was dismal. Interestingly, the list of winners in the very non-league looking programme produced for the game did not include Sheffield Wednesday who were the automatic finalists a couple of years ago when Shrewsbury and Telford basically played off for the honour of playing them.

I'm a traditionalist at heart and think the SSC should be played as part of the pre-season build up.
                  I can't find anything about Wednesday's involvement online - I'm starting to suspect a cover up from the Shropshire FA. Any more info about this?

Comment

County Cups

Only time Wednesday have played Shrewsbury pre-season was in August 1998, so suspect it was then. Got the programme so will dig it out over the weekend and see if it offers any clues as to why we participated (if that was the game).

Comment

County Cups

Dulwich Hamlet managed to throw away a half time 0-2 lead to lose 3-2 after extra time to Cray Valley Paper Mills in the London Senior Cup semi-final last night. I believe their team was somewhat weakened ahead of the Ryman Premier play-offs they'll be taking part in.

They'll therefore miss the opportunity to appear in the final at their own Champion Hill ground. As the opponents Met Police effectively have no fans it means there'll barely be anyone there given CVPM's low support whereas Hamlet themselves would have probably attracted a crowd in the high hundreds.

Comment

County Cups

I'm sure everyone has been eagerly awaiting this moment, but I've dug out the programme for Wednesday's appearance in the Shropshire Senior Cup Final - away at Shrewsbury on August 3rd 1998. The back cover states "Tonight Sheffield Wednesday could become the first club from outside the County to win the Shropshire Senior Cup - becoming the first "outsiders" ever to play in the 120 year old competition."

There's no indicator of why we were invited, maybe it was an attempt to conquer Salop as a first step to world domination. The team list suggests we played a 2nd XI, though it included Steve Nicol, Jim Magilton, Earl Barrett and Guy Whittingham.

No idea what the final score was or anything, interestingly our programmes for the opening games of the league season fail to list the game in either the first team or reserve friendlies.

Comment

County Cups

Wikipedia has the 1998 winners as Shrewsbury. I can't find any reference to the Wednesday game anywhere. Did Wednesday actually win this match and is Wiki just taking the winners of the Shrewsbury-Telford game as the overall Cup winners without acknowledging Wednesday's rightful title?

Comment

County Cups

Anyone else getting worried about longeared and his insistence he was at this phantom cross-dimensional County Cup Final?

Comment

County Cups

Shrewsbury's official Twitter account has confirmed that it happened and directed me to the Shropshire FA for further info...

Comment

County Cups

This thread says it happened but that Shrewsbury won 1-0. Which kind of destroys my hopes of finding footage of Wednesday's open top bus parade to celebrate

Comment

County Cups

I think I missed this until the weekend, Hampton & Richmond are due to take on Wealdstone in the Middlesex Senior Cup Final at the former's Beveree ground on Saturday May 6th.

That's unless either or both are involved in the Conference South play-offs due to the ground ineligibilities of teams above them, as detailed on other threads.

I'm not positing this up to try and divert things away from the incipient madness of the "Sheffield is in Shropshire" truthers, honest.

Comment

County Cups

Went along to the final of the local cup competition yesterday evening. the Kreispokal Rhein-Mittelhaardt. Just over 700 people were in Dudenhofen to see A-Klasse champions FV Berghausen take on VfB Iggelheim, who are currently in fourth place in the same division.

It was quite a fast-paced game from the off and Berghausen should have taken an early lead, but their centre-forward somehow contrived to plant his header over the bar with the keeper nowhere, from about six feet out. Both teams had a few chances and Berghausen looked the faster and fitter, but couldn't calm things down enough to dominate the game. Iggelheim came into it more in the second half and took the lead with a well-worked goal, before the champions equalised from the spot with 15 minutes to go. Cue all sorts of play-acting, screaming, rolling around and general cheating from both sides... until one of Berghausen's selection of little Italian playmakers picked the ball up 20 yards out and smacked a shot into the top corner to complete the double for his team. Good end to a decent evening's entertainment - and now Iggelheim have the chance to gain some sort of revenge on Sunday as their next league match takes them to... Berghausen.

Comment

County Cups

Cray Valley Paper Mills won the London Senior Cup last night. They became the lowest placed side ever to do so, defeating Metropolitan Police from two divisions above in the final having eliminated the sides put out by Welling, Wimbledon and Dulwich Hamlet on the way.

Comment

The postponed 2016/17 Middlesex FA Senior Challenge Cup Final between Hampton & Richmond Borough and Wealdstone finally happened last night at the former's Beveree ground.

More full-blooded than a pre-season friendly (as it should be) illustrated by an aggressive edge throughout the game and a red card 70 minutes in for The Beavers' captain for something off the ball and unseen by anyone but the ref.

The home side were 1-0 by then after a dominant display and held on to claim the silverware in front of a crowd around 500.

Comment

Penistone Church have reached the Sheffield & Hallamshire Senior Cup final for the first time in their history. Fuck knows when they'll actually get to play it though. There's still an outstanding quarter final in the shape of Swallownest v Frickley Athletic which has been postponed twice and the next attempt to play it is in a fortnight. Then the winners of that have a trip to Shaw Lane in the semis and Lane have an enormous fixture backlog to the extent they've already got several double midweek rounds. Lane and Frickley are also likely to need time spare for potential play off matches, so some awkward decisions ahead for the county FA. Particularly given the shambles a couple of years back when we didn't have a final.

Comment

There's a similar level of confusion in the Middlesex Charity Cup - one second round tie, the quarters and semis are all still to be played before the final on May 7th. Good luck with that.

I had hoped to see our derby match at AFC Hayes a couple of weeks ago as I happened to be back in town for a few days, but it was of course snowed off. If we win that q-f tie (if and when it ever takes place - AFC Hayes'/Brook House frequently has problems with waterlogging), the semi is away against Spelthorne or Broadfield. Would like to think we've got a good chance of making the final but am fairly certain that the club will focus on the league as we are in with a good chance of reaching the play-offs. Would be a shame though, the MCC is a beautiful trophy:

Comment

That is a nice trophy JVL I quite agree. The Essex Thameside Trophy is also pretty special:

Comment

Battle of the B(o)roughs in the North Riding Senior Cup. Scarborough breezed through their semi with Thornaby 7-0, but Middlesbrough had a slightly trickier time at Bootham Crescent in theirs - Boro led 2-1 with under 10 minutes left, but the game finished 3-3, the goal splurge including a magnificent own goal by the young Boro captain and a dodgy penalty in their favour with practically the last kick of the game. York then failed to score any of their penalties in the ensuing shoot-out.

Comment

Hardly a County Cup, but Marske United have issued a statement saying that on account of ongoing problems with their pitch due to the amount of rain recently, both legs of their FA Vase semi final with Stockton Town will be played on Stockton’s 3G pitch, “so as not to disrupt further the FA Vase or Northern League fixture list”.

Comment

Middlesex Senior Cup Final tonight between Hendon and Staines Town at Uxbridge's Honeycroft ground. I'm pondering going but Uxbridge is a bit of a faff and I saw an MSC Final as recently as August due to last season's being held back so I might end up at nearby AFC Hayes v Chertsey Town.

I'll definitely be making this year's Surrey Senior Cup Final at Sutton's Gander Green Lane between Leatherhead & Merstham. I'll be wishing the former well due to their Wimbledon connections and the fact I so took against Merstham's obnoxious behaviour when I visited earlier in the season that I ended up writing to the Isthmian League to complain.

The London Senior Cup Final is likely to be anti-climactic as it is between Balham and Cray Valley Paper Mills, both tier nine sides with little in the way of a following, and may not be worth the trek out to Hendon's Silver Jubilee Park. For the second season running, Dulwich Hamlet managed to get knocked out by a side a few levels lower in the semi-final and their local rivals/landlords Tooting & Mitcham also fell at the same stage - those two would have made a stonking final match up.
                                                    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 17-04-2018, 14:22.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X