Page 857 of 880 FirstFirst ... 357757807847855856857858859867 ... LastLast
Results 21,401 to 21,425 of 21992
    For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
    Teams
    Penn State, Cincinnati Reds, State College Spikes
    Biscuit
    Girl Scout Thin Mints
    Actor
    Patton Oswalt
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I did that with a dish I'd just removed from the oven last week, FF. Fortunately I realised what I was doing as I did it rather than in the instant after I'd done it, and as such only made contact for a fraction of a second, but I still swore at myself for being a twat.

I'm not sure you can have that. By that definition, reading, embroidery and video games would all count as sports, and masturbation would be (probably) the world's most popular participation sport. (I see that Amor had already pointed this last one out, and note your reply; you think most people who masturbate have something other than pleasure as the motivation behind doing so? Do tell ...)

I'm not trying to shut down the discussion, or anything - I love playing 8-ball and watching snooker, and have got very into chess thanks to OTF in the last year and a half, and it's an interesting conversation to have about how many if any of those are sports or games or mind sports and whether there's a difference (especially between the first and third categories) - but personally I think the definition needs to be a bit more specific than what you've put there.
    Yeah, well, I shouldn't have said "anything." As I recall from my friend with a PhD in Sport Philosophy (yeah, that's a thing - http://www.csun.edu/health-human-dev...s-w-mclaughlin ) said it has to have rules or a structure or something like that.

Also, according to wiki "The word "Sport" comes from the Old French desport meaning 'leisure', with the oldest definition in English from around 1300 being 'anything humans find amusing or entertaining. Other meanings include gambling and events staged for the purpose of gambling; hunting; and games and diversions, including ones that require exercise. Roget's defines the noun sport as an "activity engaged in for relaxation and amusement" with synonyms including diversion and recreation."

Some people insist that killing animals cannot be a sport, but to me, they are sports and that's a big part of what's so awful about them - that people do it largely for amusement.

Shakespeare seems to use it as anything amusing.
    For example.
    "There's letters seal'd: and my two schoolfellows,
    Whom I will trust as I will adders fang'd,
    They bear the mandate; they must sweep my way
    And marshal me to knavery. Let it work;
    For 'tis the sport to have the enginer
    Hoist with his own petar; and 't shall go hard
    But I will delve one yard below their mines
    And blow them at the moon: O, 'tis most sweet,
    When in one line two crafts directly meet."

Activity for fitness is a gray area. If you're enjoying it, then its sport - as well as fitness - and if you're doing it even though you're not enjoying it, then it's just health maintenance or maybe self-flaggelation.

Embroidery etc can't count because it produces something that has value over and above the enjoyment of making it.

Reading doesn't count because the value of it isn't just in the doing it, but the obtaining of knowledge or, at least, a story.

Video games are a sport to some people. Maybe our definition should exclude things that are so heavily dependent and constrained by the design of the game makers, but obviously they've been around for only a fraction of the time we've had the concept of sport in our language, so we can't rely on the history of the word to decide if they should be included or excluded.

IIRC, Sports Illustrated covered the Bobby Fischer craze. I guess it's a sport, unless we want to insist on physical exertion being involved, which would then seem to exclude a lot of people from sport - the elderly and people with physical challenges.

In any event, golf is a sport if anything is, for better or worse.

Got 15 different iPhones but so ain't phoney
    Jeez, WOM is really laying it all out here.

Things WOM likes:
    - Golf
    - Pickleball
    - Florida

He is basically nailed on for buying a house in The Villages (warning - hilarious sound) the second he and Mrs WOM turn 55.

Biscuit
    Oatmeal Chocolate Chip
    My Florida retirement dollar is already spoken for, thanks to the industriousness of one Mr Jimmy Buffett.

https://www.latitudemargaritaville.com

Too good for just the office annoyances thread:

I've bleached the office teacups and they are sparkling white, but all smell of bleach, so I'm soaking them in cold water.

Biscuit
    Oatmeal Chocolate Chip
    Is that better than soaking them in warm water?

I don't know, but it wouldn't stay warm for long.

I'm descaling the kettle now.

We've got visitors next week.

Just got an email:

"Please feel free to forward this invite to whom you see fit.

We are currently looking to invite Patients with Prominent Ears or Caregivers (Parents) with children with Prominent Ears to take part in a market research discussion on the topic of Prominent/Protruding/Sticking out Ears."

If anyone in London is interested, there's 70 in it.

Of course WOM is the first to discover that Hell now advertises.

Biscuit
    Oatmeal Chocolate Chip
    You mock. We'll be playing shuffleboard together before you know it.

You look so good Fantastic man
    Teams
    The Daley Blind Love Collective
    I have read your compelling case regarding golf, WOM, but unfortunately it's still absolute shit.

Biscuit
    Oatmeal Chocolate Chip
    Some come to the game later than others.

Don't worry, it'll soon be over
    Teams
    QPR, Hitchin Town
    Biscuit
    Fig Roll
    Actor
    Klaus Kinski (if he was alive, like)
    Quote Originally Posted by MsD View Post
    Just got an email:

"Please feel free to forward this invite to whom you see fit.

We are currently looking to invite Patients with Prominent Ears or Caregivers (Parents) with children with Prominent Ears to take part in a market research discussion on the topic of Prominent/Protruding/Sticking out Ears."

If anyone in London is interested, there's 70 in it.
    Did you forward it to Buckingham Palace?

You look so good Fantastic man
    Teams
    The Daley Blind Love Collective
    2.82% of Merseyside is golf course.
    2.65% of Surrey is golf course.
    8.2% of Bermuda is golf course.
    This is ridiculous.
    Each country can have one course each. At a push. And that's because I'm feeling generous and of the opinion that keeping these 'golfers' away from normal people can be beneficial to society, otherwise we'll be forced to hear the dull golf, business and house price chat in the middle bit of Lidl as we scavenge for cooking equipment we can't identify and don't need. Toaster pockets. Burrito pots. Egg errrr muddlers. Power drills and motorcycle coats that have been put back in the wrong place. Uncle Ben's sauces from another time. You know the stuff I mean. Bad flip-flops. The Aldi in Manchester sold wetsuits one week. Really odd.

Did you know that there are 2.8 refugees in this country for every golf hole? That's not many considering we're "FULL". I say turn each hole into a couple of bungalows or chalets to help displaced people. Turn the land over to agriculture so they can tend the land, grow food, maybe cash crops, whatever they like really. It's not for us to say what they use it for, I just think everyone should have a bit of land, you know. Good for the soul.

I used to keep chickens. I'd like to get back to that one day. A bit of land, some hens scratching about, pecking on the patio door because they want some corn. Ideal.

Teams
    Celtic/Yankees/Arsenal/Sparta Rotterdam
    Biscuit
    TREEEEEEEEEO's
    And, at the risk of stoking some veggie/non-veggie/don't eat pets war, delicious.

Biscuit
    Oatmeal Chocolate Chip
    EIM writes like a man who's shanked his drive into the woods once too often.

Look, we've all duffed a drive now and then, and contemplated getting back to the land or selling off and moving to the provinces. Or we've had a good putt mucked up by some cunt who didn't fix his ball mark and considered becoming communists.

But you don't do it. You take a mulligan, shift your stance a half-step to the left - where you should have been in the first place - and get on with it before you hold up play.

Don't worry, it'll soon be over
    Teams
    QPR, Hitchin Town
    Biscuit
    Fig Roll
    Actor
    Klaus Kinski (if he was alive, like)
    Quote Originally Posted by EIM View Post
    2.82% of Merseyside is golf course.
    2.65% of Surrey is golf course.
    8.2% of Bermuda is golf course.
    This is ridiculous.

I used to keep chickens. I'd like to get back to that one day. A bit of land, some hens scratching about, pecking on the patio door because they want some corn. Ideal.
    indeed. Since the mid-70s this province has land designated for agricultural use only. But, guess what? Over the intervening years golf courses have somehow become "agricultural" in nature. Who knew?

In fairness, golf courses tend to have a sizeable turkey population.

Teams
    Celtic/Yankees/Arsenal/Sparta Rotterdam
    Biscuit
    TREEEEEEEEEO's
    Did you count them by neck? Or by the gobbling in the rough?

Got 15 different iPhones but so ain't phoney
    Golf is an amazing hustle. The club my friend is a member of costs just shy of a million bucks to get in the door.

Biscuit
    Oatmeal Chocolate Chip
    Paying to join a golf club is nuts.

For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
    Teams
    Penn State, Cincinnati Reds, State College Spikes
    Biscuit
    Girl Scout Thin Mints
    Actor
    Patton Oswalt
    Quote Originally Posted by caja-dglh View Post
    Golf is an amazing hustle. The club my friend is a member of costs just shy of a million bucks to get in the door.
    It goes both ways. My uncle and aunt's club in small town Ohio went bust because they invested in a new club house/banquet facility/restaurant and membership numbers didn't hold up and they had to give up.

Teams
    Oxford United
    Biscuit
    Petit Ecolier (milk chocolate)
    WOM, once again, is correct. You can play golf on a nice course for $50 or so, which is not a bad price for 4 hours of fun.

Even better, by playing on a public course you generally only play with normal people and don't have to mix with the cunts who pay $1m just so they can be all exclusive.

I was paired up, a few weeks ago in Mammoth Lakes, with a father and son who were from Oxford. I thought I'd have something in common with them. It turns out that they were members at a private club. Which meant that they were unhappy with all kinds of stuff rather than admiring the views of the Sierra Nevada; that they'd just played a Trump course and weren't ashamed; and that they thoroughly approved of the idea that people should wear jackets and ties and no hats in the clubhouse and that golfers should tuck their shirts in and all that insane pompous bullshit that surrounds golf, particularly in Britain.

All the world is birthday cake
    Teams
    Ajax, BVB
    Quote Originally Posted by EIM View Post
    Did you know that there are 2.8 refugees in this country for every golf hole? That's not many considering we're "FULL".
    Excellent statting there! I've computed the same number for the Netherlands; it's 68.7. That's still not crazy many, and a small enough number to shut up any Wilders voters that come near me.

Couldn't tell Lou Reed from Doug Yule
    Teams
    Raith Rovers/Liverpool
    Biscuit
    Abernethies
    Do ye have municipal courses out there?

Teams
    Oxford United
    Biscuit
    Petit Ecolier (milk chocolate)
    Yes. Normal humans play municipal (or, at least, public) courses. Only insufferable shits (or people who get it through their work) are members of private clubs.