Page 1370 of 1370 FirstFirst ... 370870127013201360136813691370
Results 34,226 to 34,247 of 34247
    "Friend of Mr. T"
    Biscuit
    Jaffa Cakes
    Quote Originally Posted by treibeis View Post
    When we arrived at our holiday accommodation on Amrum yesterday, we walked into the gaff only to find an elderly couple (whom we'd seen on the ferry) setting the table for afternoon tea. The husband, if the stench emitting from the bathroom as well as the state of his flies and belt were anything to go by, had just had the sort of bowel movement that I have to remove from the surfaces of the hut's lavatories on a regular basis in summer.

"Yes, but the woman said we could just go into the flat. Unfortunately, we'd forgotten the number, so we took this one."

("This one" being bigger and better than the one they'd actually booked.)

The Lady I Walked To The Registry Office With had to be held back.
    This would only happen to you. It's Karma. I'm sorry the missus had to get caught up in it.

Teams
    Hayes & Yeading Utd
    Alongside a few dollar bills that I will doubtless forget to take with me when we do decide to cross the border for a trip to Maine or something like that, I've got three Eisenhower dollar coins in my desk here (presumably left over from when my parents visited NYC around '87 or '88, I guess): am I right in thinking these are still legal tender, but no-one's really going to be pleased with me for trying to pay for something with them?

Indeed you are.

In fact, I would expect that the vast majority of cashiers have never seen one.

You might be able to get a few cents over face value from a coin store.

Quote Originally Posted by Femme Folle View Post
    This would only happen to you. It's Karma. I'm sorry the missus had to get caught up in it.
    It would be quite funny to go to the Stadtpark just to do a mystery poo.

Or leave a joke shop one, even better as it wouldn’t be as horrible.

Biscuit
    Oatmeal Chocolate Chip
    Quote Originally Posted by ad hoc View Post
    ...and now my mum is beating herself up over mentally preparing herself for him going and feeling she'd like the "on hold" nature of her life at the moment to be over
    I went through this with mom when dad was in his last days. She was wracked with guilt at 'wanting it over with' for his sake, and then feeling like she was wishing him away. It's very difficult to deal with.

Teams
    Sheffield Wednesday, FK Csikszereda Women's U18 team, AFC Csiki Monkeys
    Biscuit
    Ginger nuts
    Yes it's exactly this

Biscuit
    Oatmeal Chocolate Chip
    There's nothing to prepare you for the rollercoaster of emotions associated with the loss of someone close like that. Mom went through it with dad after 55 years together. She wanted him out of his misery for his own sake, but obviously didn't want to wish death on her partner.

My sister and I then went through it with mom. After the 'home' called us one morning to come say our final goodbyes, we sat vigil all day. And then she lived another 13 days. By the end of the first week, utter emotional absurdity had taken over. It was terrible.

You just have to remind yourself that nothing you're thinking - for good or ill - actually has any bearing on whether they live or die. None. And that, of course, you're only thinking with their best interests at heart.

Yes, it's all part of the love and perfectly normal.

We are Groot
    Teams
    Salop, Cymru, Devils, Padres
    Biscuit
    Choc and Hazelnut Boasters
    Actor
    Mr Tumble apparently
    I hope when it's my time to go we will have matured as a culture and I'll be able to ask the robot docs to pump me full of morphine while no one's looking and I can just bliss out. I've spent enough of my life working in a hospital. I don't want a lingering death in one.

Biscuit
    Oatmeal Chocolate Chip
    Seconded. I'll do the dying process with some level of dignity and resignation, but if I could lop off the last three or so weeks, I'd be happy. It's the last stretch that's not worth a bucket of spit. By leaving a bit early, you ain't missing much.

Quote Originally Posted by MsD View Post
    It would be quite funny to go to the Stadtpark just to do a mystery poo.
    Sits has already done it. It wasn't funny.

Teams
    Celtic/Yankees/Arsenal/Sparta Rotterdam
    Biscuit
    TRIIIIIIIIIIIIO's
    Quote Originally Posted by treibeis View Post
    Sits has already done it. It wasn't funny.
    Hence the name.

"Friend of Mr. T"
    Biscuit
    Jaffa Cakes
    My dad didn't live longer than about six week after he was diagnosed, so my mom didn't have a lot of time to think about it. He was undergoing chemo and radiation and they were both in denial about how bad it was (or at least mom was--I think dad knew, but didn't want to upset her). He was only unconscious for less than 48 hours before he passed away, so there wasn't any time to go through what some of you have talked about with your mothers. I'm kinda glad that it happened that way versus the alternatives (i.e., languishing in a nursing home for 10 years like my grandmother did).

I know that I will die alone. This is what happens when you're not the marrying kind and you don't have kids. I'll probably outlive Teddy and the cats, and I've already decided that after they go, I probably won't adopt any more pets, just because I don't want to have to worry about what happens to them when I'm gone. Never say never though.

You look so good Fantastic man
    This is all a bit bleak.

I've got to be up in two hours, but I can't sleep. My head is busy as fuck and no matter how tired I feel, it's not letting me sleep. It's been a while since I had this sort of insomnia.

"Friend of Mr. T"
    Biscuit
    Jaffa Cakes
    That's the worst. Lately it only happens to me on Sunday nights.

Biscuit
    Oatmeal Chocolate Chip
    That's you getting excited about the work week ahead. Probably.

Biscuit
    Oviedo
    I’ve been awake since midnight. I ate with a colleague last night and suspect I consumed rather too much MSG.

"Friend of Mr. T"
    Biscuit
    Jaffa Cakes
    WOM, yeah, that'll be it.

HORN, when I stay up late at night engaged in conversation with someone or doing work, my brain gets wired up like I've had 15 cups of coffee. That's why I don't like working late at night when I have to get up early the next morning.

You never can tell with bees.
    Teams
    Manchester United, River Plate and Barcelona
    Biscuit
    Dark chocolate digestive
    Actor
    A young David Bowie
    Like everyone else, sorry to hear your news, MsD, and I hope that one day in the future karma sees to it that by an improbable turn of events, Mr Shouty happens to be the unlucky person who finally pushes treibeis too far.

I'm trying to sort out which pool cue I'd like to buy when I'm over in the UK in a few weeks (I'd like an upgrade on the one I've got, which is now two years old and was only a cheap one to start with), and it's proving somewhat harder than expected. American cues of a decent standard are available there but in quite small numbers, but there's a showroom near my parents' place which my dad has said he'll drive me to and have a few games with me so I can try before I buy. Over the weekend I wrote to ask them about their price match promise (because there's a place in Leeds which has some of the same ones for between 10 and 15% less) and I got an email from them today saying they only have four cues by the brand I want in stock. They've got fucking thirty different models listed on their website, all with 'this model is usually in stock' and all showing as available to order online. So I've asked which ones those four are, and am waiting for a reply. If they happen to have the one model in my price range without a linen wrap on the handle I'll cross my fingers and hope they've still got it when I'm over (I'd rather not have a wrap, I like the feel of wood in my hands, fnar). Otherwise, I'm going to have to order a wrapped one online from the place in Leeds and hope there's nothing wrong with it. I have at least identified an alternative that I like the look of there for more or less the same price.

Teams
    Sheffield Wednesday, FK Csikszereda Women's U18 team, AFC Csiki Monkeys
    Biscuit
    Ginger nuts
    The doctor who on Thursday last week told my mum that my dad wouldn't be getting out and that they;d make him comfortable and wouldn't send him to intensive care, and then on Friday, after she'd started second guessing his meaning overnight confirmed that she'd heard what she thought she'd heard...is now saying that he never said any such thing, and he thinks my dad will eventually be able to go home. This is ostensibly good news, but sort of feels like it might not be (plus I'm furious at this bloke for lying through his teeth about what he said). My mum's completely at her wit's end, having no idea what to believe any more, and to be honest completely uncertain about what the future holds (at the moment my dad is not physically capable of getting out of bed, nor is he mentally lucid, so he clearly can't go home, though he might - at some unspecified future time - be able to go to a home)

Seriously I wouldn't mind if he'd said "Yes, we've been surprised at him getting over the pneumonia and now we've worked out what's causing his anemia, I have to revise my judgement, and he may well be able to leave here", but "No, I never said that"? Cunt.
    Last edited by ad hoc; Today at 08:28.

Quote Originally Posted by EIM View Post
    This is all a bit bleak.

I've got to be up in two hours, but I can't sleep. My head is busy as fuck and no matter how tired I feel, it's not letting me sleep. It's been a while since I had this sort of insomnia.
    I've struggled with insomnia for years - things in my head seem to speed up as soon as I get into bed. I've started listening to ambient music at nights to help create a more calming environment, and I've taken all my internet-enabled equipment out of the room. The best music for me is the eight-hour epic 'Sleep', by Max Richter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_(album)

As I stated, it's eight hours long, but I don't get past track three at the moment. It's on Spotify in its entirety, but I have it downloaded to my phone and I use a 75 minute sleep timer to switch it off. I've had at least six hours sleep since I started doing this, except for one bad night last week.