Page 904 of 904 FirstFirst ... 404804854894902903904
Results 22,576 to 22,591 of 22591
    Teams
    Reading
    Biscuit
    Chocolate Butternut Snap
    I got bitten by a Dalmatian but that was the poor thing's last act. It was the neighbour's and I heard the car hit it and ran round. He was cradling the poor thing and I instinctively started stroking its head to comfort it. It didn't know what it was doing and just gently opened its mouth around my hand and closed - so a small puncture not like a dog bite at all.

It was all so quick. Terrible experience. The dog dying, not the bite.

Teams
    Reading
    Biscuit
    Chocolate Butternut Snap
    Mrs. S is scared of horses and donkeys after being bitten by a donkey as a little girl. She loves them though. We went to a donkey sanctuary a couple of years ago, and got our little bags of feed for them. She approached a friendly looking donkey and it was doing that lovely thing where the rubber lips are nibbling the food, then suddenly the Alien teeth appeared and she freaked and dropped the bag of food.

The goats following her around were delighted.

Don't worry, it'll soon be over
    Teams
    QPR, Hitchin Town
    Biscuit
    Fig Roll
    Actor
    Klaus Kinski (if he was alive, like)
    Aye, Spaniels can be just as horrible cunty as the Cavalier fops they resemble. As a kid, I remember them as being the worst for actually wanting to go for me unprovoked, as opposed to me running to the hills from some friendly waggy tailed dug.

Yeah. When AdeC jr was a toddler a pair lived at the bottom of our road. They'd surround him and his Mum, she got bitten on the ankle once. Animal control was called fairly regularly.

Dobermans are interesting. They're a recent breed — 1890s by Herr Doberman a tax collector who needed protection from his 'clients.' Since then they've tended to have the aggression bred out of them, especially in North America. Like Rotties and German Shepherds though they're very intelligent (ie: quick and easy to train) so appeal to knuckle-draggers who want to use a dog as a weapon.

There is a horse at our local stables (yes, we have stables about 1 mile from my house) who likes to nip women's breasts. I'm glad I was warned, as I saw him giving me sidelong glances and curling his lip, so got out of the way in time.

I've had nips from dogs and cats but never a serious bite.

My dad had one scar on his lip from a donkey kick, and one on his forehead from a goose peck.

There's really no such thing as a bad Jaffa Cake
    Teams
    Norwich City
    Biscuit
    Dark choc Hobnob
    Quote Originally Posted by MsD View Post
    There is a horse at our local stables (yes, we have stables about 1 mile from my house) who likes to nip women's breasts. I'm glad I was warned, as I saw him giving me sidelong glances and curling his lip, so got out of the way in time.
    Oh, that is a weird coincidence MsD. The horse I mentioned before is one of two that suddenly appeared a week or so back in a field near where I live, which has been used this way a couple of times recently without anyone being sure if the animals are being kept there legally. I received the aforementioned bites when I stopped off there to feed the newcomers a carrot, and they evidently remembered me when I was passing again on Thursday as they came straight to the gate to say hello. I didn't have any foodstuffs on me that time but the same larger horse still made an enthusiastic body-search on me while I was patting it, just in case, and decided to nip my chest. Fortunately the two layers of clothing over my right nipple were enough to save me from any great pain, but it was a bit sore for a while afterwards!
    Last edited by Various Artist; Today at 00:41.

There's really no such thing as a bad Jaffa Cake
    Teams
    Norwich City
    Biscuit
    Dark choc Hobnob
    Quote Originally Posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
    Dobermans are interesting. They're a recent breed — 1890s by Herr Doberman a tax collector who needed protection from his 'clients.' Since then they've tended to have the aggression bred out of them, especially in North America. Like Rotties and German Shepherds though they're very intelligent (ie: quick and easy to train) so appeal to knuckle-draggers who want to use a dog as a weapon.
    That's the thing – even if you've never met one, you know of the 'reputation' because of aggressive idiots like that who (in the popular imagination anyway) tend to keep them and train them in their own image. Even the name "doberman pinscher" sounds brutal and scary.

I only actually met one for the first time last year, when he was rescued – as quite a young dog, fortunately – by people who live near me. He'd evidently had a bad start to life, possibly in just such bad ownership, as he was terribly scaredy and unsure of himself. Aside from their own good care, though, they already had an experienced, calm-natured German or Belgian Shepherd (I forget which) who instinctively 'mothered' him: looked out for him whenever strange dogs or people came nearby, warning them or shepherding him away when they got too close or put the wind up him, etc. – I well remember how she was cautious of me when I first met them. I was cautious myself, for that matter – you can't help but be when you see this doberman in its alarmingly sturdy-looking chest harness, which he wears (it turns out) because it's a much better and kinder way of leashing such a potentially powerful animal than a neck collar. Now though she isn't the faintest bit bothered as he's evidently happy to come forward to greet me and be stroked; his confidence has come on tremendously and it's been amazing watching his transformation between our occasional passing meetings. He's never been anything than sweet and gentle, doesn't jump or bark or even open his mouth so isn't the faintest bit intimidating. It's been a rather lovely thing.

This is why events unnerve me
    Teams
    Leicester City
    Biscuit
    Dark chocolate hobnob
    Actor
    Rodney Bewes
    Same with Staffies. They are the softest dogs going; just wanting to be fussed and cuddled. It's only the twats that own them to breed for fighting that have given them their fearsome reputation. Spud (See earlier post) is a Staffie and the biggest softie going, despite at some point in his life being used for fighting ( we are his 6th owner in 7 years so his past hasn't been great; he's been with us over 2 years now and adores our other dog and both cats. He's an absolute joy).

If you can't say anything nice...
    Teams
    Barnsley
    Biscuit
    Club
    Actor
    Peter Lorre
    Overlapping with the culture shock thread, the US love for pitbulls is disturbing, although I have not read any stories over here in Florida of pitbulls attacking babies, which used to be a tabloid staple when I lived in the UK.

I've sorted out a pile of books to take to Oxfam but it looks like it might start to rain before I'm ready to leave the house.

Sun's out, panic over.

Try to be kind. Even when you don't want to.
    Teams
    Shrewsbury Town, Wales, Cardiff Devils
    Biscuit
    Oreo McFlurry
    Actor
    Chris Pratt
    I need to weed my shelves again. Oxfammed over 400 books earlier this year but now can't tell.

400 is a good haul.

I come across books that I've forgotten were there and am pretty sure won't be read again, but still only let them go at about the third pass through, some months later. It's even worse with CDs.

Try to be kind. Even when you don't want to.
    Teams
    Shrewsbury Town, Wales, Cardiff Devils
    Biscuit
    Oreo McFlurry
    Actor
    Chris Pratt
    It doesn't help that I have collecting tendencies do will buy an authors entire output and then not want to get rid of any.

Teams
    Celtic/Yankees/Arsenal/Sparta Rotterdam
    Biscuit
    TRIIIIIIIIIIIIO's
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
    I need to weed my shelves again.
    Thank you, Grizzly Adams.

Biscuit
    Jaffa Cakes
    I'm afraid of horses. I'm more afraid of Shetland ponies. I was bitten by one and chased by another one. They are nasty little assholes. Horses are just so big, and it seems natural to be wary of something that could crush you to death, even if accidentally. I rode one as a teenager and I was terrified, especially when it broke into a trot and then kind of slipped on the grass. They said the horse could tell I was afraid, which made me wonder if the trot and the slip were intentional. I guess horses can be assholes too. I'll leave horse riding to others. TYVM

Teams
    Oxford United
    Biscuit
    Petit Ecolier (milk chocolate)
    I'm afraid of most animals. I'm getting better, and am fine with cats. Small dogs really bother me, although bigger ones are mostly fine. And even farm animals like horses and cows basically scare the shit out of me. Because they can all kill me or do me lots of damage and don't have any social pressures to not to that, the way humans do. A sheep doesn't know it'll be a social outcast if it charges and kicks me.

Anyway, despite not being afraid of cats, I had a run-in with one today. The feral that we rescued (yes, rescued - it's 4 siblings disappeared while there were coyotes in the neighbourhood) just over a month ago was due for her (we're guessing it's a female) second dose of flea medicine. Being feral, she hates being touched but you need to hold the cat to apply the flea medicine. So, I tried to catch and hold, and instead I got very scared kitten trying very hard to get good purchase on me and run off. Being a cat, the best way of getting good purchase is by putting the claws out, and I now have holes in the fingers on both hands, the back of my right hand, my right hip, and a lot of big holes in my t-shirt...
    Last edited by San Bernardhinault; Today at 22:21.