Page 831 of 831 FirstFirst ... 331731781821829830831
Results 20,751 to 20,762 of 20762
    Couldn't tell Lou Reed from Doug Yule
    Teams
    Raith Rovers/Liverpool
    Biscuit
    Abernethies
    We had Rolf Harris appear at our Primary. He was staying across the road from the school when playing our local theatre. Which in itself is creepy as fuck in hindsight. Why stay in digs when there were 3 or 4 hotels he could have used?

Sang his shitey songs, drew a few pictures. We were supposed to pay 5p if we wanted a (photocopied!) autograph. Fuck that shit.

Quote Originally Posted by delicatemoth View Post
    Should we have a 'thon at Elvis karaoke?
    You're very welcome to come down and I'll buy you a drink! It's in Stoke Newington/Stamford Hill.

Don't all 'thons end up as being Elvis karaoke, sooner or later?

The only light entertainment figure to visit my school was Johnny Morris, not long after the BBC axed Animal Magic. He was very bitter about it, even when doing his camel voice.

A lovely sense of entropy here
    Teams
    Leicester City
    Biscuit
    Samoyed
    Actor
    Katharine Hepburn
    Christ almighty. We all wrote letters to Jim'll Fix It once as well as a school thing. Absolutely appalling. I think I asked for a trip to Silverstone (the racetrack which is seven miles from where I grew up. Pink Floyd stay in the hotel in my hometown when they go to the British Grand Prix) in order to be really boring and not risk winning.

Haha, few things sadder than a bitter light entertainer. "What's that, Mr School Guinea Pig? The BBC are a bunch of fucking cunts?" "mmm, myes, Mr Morris, squeak squeak, they're all fucking tosspots."

Teams
    Leicester City
    Biscuit
    Samoyed
    Actor
    Katharine Hepburn
    We had Johnny, but Animal Magic was still going strong and he was a spellbinding entertaining gent.

Oh yeah. And because Stoke Mandeville was our local hospital (17 miles away, but still) it was reasonably common knowledge that Savile was a wrong 'un - not the hideous actuality, but as a lower level 'sex pest' (as sexual assaulters were often known then) to the nurses. The school staff must have been somewhat sheltered. And I find it exceptionally hard to believe that the BBC weren't aware that he was bad to at least the extent that a decent percentage of the population of half of Buckinghamshire were.

Anyway Elvis Karaoke is at the Mascara Bar opposite Morrisson's. I'm going to get down there for Dave Elvis at around 6.30, it's open till 3am, free entry, pub prices, all welcome but don't blame me.

Teams
    Leicester City
    Biscuit
    Samoyed
    Actor
    Katharine Hepburn
    Oh MsD, that's a great invitation but I have been out half the day and the door closer from my door has just fallen off so it is hanging by a hinge, so the door is kind of half open propping up the big metal box and an engineer will be coming in 1-4 hours. That is of course impressive time but it coming off the door was a real shock. Also I am a little stoned and this will only get better as an afternoon's cycling unfolds, especially as there is a team time trial which is like watching humans make fractal patterns. Another time sounds great though.

REWIND - just been told to get there by 6 as the Karaoke is only till 8. The rest of the night it's just Elvis night. Yes, come down another night.

Quote Originally Posted by MsDayglo View Post
    Haha, few things sadder than a bitter light entertainer. "What's that, Mr School Guinea Pig? The BBC are a bunch of fucking cunts?" "mmm, myes, Mr Morris, squeak squeak, they're all fucking tosspots."
    Now getting funny looks for collapsing with giggles in a public place, but that was pretty much it. Better to remember JM in his prime as dm saw him.

The success of Savile's hide in plain view strategy is still hard to fathom.

In retrospect, it's so fucking obvious, but I can remember defending him on the grounds that people had the right to be eccentric bachelors without everyone assuming they were weird. But people around him KNEW and still let him near children.

Teams
    Leicester City
    Biscuit
    Samoyed
    Actor
    Katharine Hepburn
    We were supposed to pay 5p if we wanted a (photocopied!) autograph. Fuck that shit.

AT YOUR PRIMARY SCHOOL