Covers you've not heard the original of

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

have to mention HEY JOE. Not sure who originally wrote it or recorded it first, but can say to have never heard the original

see page one of this thread — near the bottom

Comment

Ta Amor. Figgered it had already been mentioned. I had heard it was up there w/ Louie Louie in that the original composer had pretty much been screwed re: any royalities or other $$$$.

Comment

Cal Alamein wrote: Dunno if this has been mentioned yet, but as I'm watching a Hendrix doc (Voodoo Child - 2010) have to mention HEY JOE. Not sure who originally wrote it or recorded it first, but can say to have never heard the original - tho' I do have and love the Leaves version on NUGGETS.
        The Leaves version certainly is the first one to be released (there is speculation that The Surfaris recorded it first but released their version later).

There is a bootleg live recording by Billy Roberts, I think; it was a popular sing on the live circuit, but The Leaves issued the first recorded version.

Comment

Cal Alamein wrote: Ta Amor. Figgered it had already been mentioned. I had heard it was up there w/ Louie Louie in that the original composer had pretty much been screwed re: any royalities or other $$$$.
          Richard Berry wasn't screwed out of royalties to Louie, Louie he sold his copyright, with full knowledge of what he was doing, before the song became a hit. Fortunately, because the original writer retains some intellectual rights, twenty years later he was able to renegotiate the agreement. At the time he was living on welfare, and became a millionaire overnight.

The Louie, Louie story is interesting for all kinds of reasons, I thoroughly recommend Dave Marsh's history of the song.

Comment

Thanks for the clearing up. I am reading up on it now. It is good to hear that he got to live it up a bit until his fairly early death. Way too many musicians and writers from the 50's and 60's got taken by lies and small print.

Comment

For years I thought this Northern Soul version of Purple Haze by Johnny Jones and The King Casuals was the original and Hendrix's was the cover version.

Comment

Whilst doing a quick investigation before starting a thread on Originals You've Just Heard For The First Time, I realised that the version of Take Me To The River that I heard last night in the Old White Lion by East Finchley tube station wasn't actually the Al Green version, but must've been the Syl Johnson version. So into this thread goes Take Me To The River...

Comment

I'd not heard Robert Wyatt's (or Chic's) version of At Last I Am Free until I saw Green Gartside and Alexis Taylor's version last night. I must have played it a dozen times today.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                    Whilst doing a quick investigation before starting a thread on Originals You've Just Heard For The First Time, I realised that the version of Take Me To The River that I heard last night in the Old White Lion by East Finchley tube station wasn't actually the Al Green version, but must've been the Syl Johnson version. So into this thread goes Take Me To The River...
                    I don't understand. Are you suggesting Syl's version is the original, or that you had never heard Al Green's version? Because the former is not right and the latter would be quite startling.

Comment

I've not heard the Kinks' Stop Your Sobbing or the source The Verve used for Bitter Sweet Symphony.

Comment

After almost ten years of collecting, it's not often that I stumble on a new discovery. This year there were two: "She's The One" (mentioned in the other thread like this one) and "Gonna Walk Away From Love", Jimmy Ruffin's big hit which was originally recorded by the largely unheralded The Choice Four.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                          I don't understand. Are you suggesting Syl's version is the original, or that you had never heard Al Green's version? Because the former is not right and the latter would be quite startling.
                          Be startled. I've not heard the Al Green version.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                            After almost ten years of collecting, it's not often that I stumble on a new discovery. This year there were two: "She's The One" (mentioned in the other thread like this one) and "Gonna Walk Away From Love", Jimmy Ruffin's big hit which was originally recorded by the largely unheralded The Choice Four.
                            David Ruffin - ie, Jimmy's younger brother and former lead singer with The Temps.

Comment

I have never heard Arthur Alexander's original of Anna, covered by The Beatles. And I only heard The Donays' Devil In His Heart about 30 years after The Beatles' version. The same also applies to Tim Buckley's Song To The Siren, which I cannot get into after 30 years loving the Cocteaus' version for This Mortal Coil.

Comment

To my shame I only found out yesterday that The Specials' A Message To You, Rudy isn't an original. I just assumed...

Still haven't heard the original. Who was Rudy, anyway?

Comment

Rudy was short for rude boy (urban youth in Jamaica).

This was certainly a deep dive for a thread recovery. I'm always shocked when something like this comes back since. I'm sure there are lots of songs I don't know are covers but since I don't know, I can't post. One that surprised me recently was the Circle Jerks, "Wild in the Streets."

I always thought that song was written by them, but wasn't.

Comment

I wonder how many of the millions of people who own 'Torn' on a single or album by Natalie Imbruglia have heard the Ednaswap original.

Comment

Though even more confusingly, though it was written by the members of Ednaswap, the first ever recorded version was this one in Danish, two years before Ednaswap recorded it themselves

Comment

I don't recall hearing the original of The Air That I Breathe. I can't see it being any better than the Hollies cover though, so I'm OK with that.

Comment

Ednaswap singer? Whigfield, possibly (4)

Apologies for thread hijack

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                                            I don't recall hearing the original of The Air That I Breathe. I can't see it being any better than the Hollies cover though, so I'm OK with that.
                                            Hammond singing it is pleasant enough, Clarke and co better

Comment

I've never heard the original of " I don't want to talk about it " ,just the Rod and EBTG versions. I'm not alone in that, Ben and Tracy thought they were covering a Rod Stewart song.

Comment

I had no idea that was originally by Crazy Horse until I looked it up just now.

Comment

Me neither, and when I looked it up just now, I also saw that both Nils Lofgren and Ry Cooder played on the original.Which is nice.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                                                    I've never heard the original of " I don't want to talk about it " ,just the Rod and EBTG versions. I'm not alone in that, Ben and Tracy thought they were covering a Rod Stewart song.
                                                    Must say I'm surprised to learn that two well-versed music types like Ben Watt and Tracey Thorn wouldn't have known that.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X