Covers you've not heard the original of

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, it's going to count as exposing one's crassness on here, but hey...

Here's one of my main candidates.

To be honest, that - like many of their cover versions - is just so breathtaking for me that I've just never wanted to hear the original.

Had to think awhile about this one. With youtube I could easily spoil it, but I've only heard The Who's version of Young Man's Blues - Mose Allison's original is still unknown to these ears.

I love Deep Purples version of Hush. Have never heard Joe South's original.

The Damned's Eloise is a cover - never heard original.

In my teen years I picked up an import 12" of Women in Uniform by Iron Maiden. It was a cover from an Aussie band, but I never heard it.

Comment

I think all of the MP3 links are dead by now, but here are the stories of a few lesser known originals (a series actually inspired by an IOTF thread started by Sam).

Originals

Comment

Cal Alamein wrote: .I love Deep Purples version of Hush. Have never heard Joe South's original.
        Not very good.
        Not dissimilar, although less bombastic.

Comment

Cal Alamein wrote:
          In my teen years I picked up an import 12" of Women in Uniform by Iron Maiden. It was a cover from an Aussie band, but I never heard it.
          It was by the hideous Skyhooks, so you had a lucky escape there.

Bruce Springsteen's Blinded by the Light existed in this void for many, many years, since hearing Manfred Mann's Earth Band's massive hit in childhood. Bruce's is all right.

Amazingly the first and only version I heard for a good few years of Ob La Di Ob La Da was the Marmalade one. Again, I was a child so some mitigation, in which vein The Monkees' I'm a Believer.

Comment

I've never heard Neil Diamond's original version of Red Red Wine.

Tony Tribe bossed it with his ska cover, which was then lifted wholesale and made blander by UB40.

I believe when Neil Diamond does it live, he now does it in a reggae stylee.

Comment

Don't think I've ever heard Ray Davies's original of 'I Go to Sleep' - which I believe only exists as a demo. I definitely thought it was a Pretenders original when they released it in 1981, anyway. Given that they'd already covered 'Stop Your Sobbing' (and that Chrissie H was in a relationship with Davies), I should perhaps have worked that out.

I love Deep Purples version of Hush. Have never heard Joe South's original.
              I wonder whether anyone on here will dare admit to only having heard the Kula Shaker version? (This isn't me doing so, btw.)

Seriously? Paul & Barry Ryan's original seems to earn more radio retreads than The Damned's rather by-numbers rendition.

Bruce Springsteen's Blinded by the Light existed in this void for many, many years, since hearing Manfred Mann's Earth Band's massive hit in childhood.
              Ditto. And Joni Mitchell's 'This Flight Tonight' - a great song superbly revisited by Nazareth.

Comment

I don't think I've ever heard Neil Diamond's Red Red Wine. The UB40 and Tony Tribe versions are familiar but not the Diamond. UB40 used to claim that they hadn't heard the original until after they had recorded theirs.

For years I thought that Bruce Springsteen's Dancing In The Dark was a cover, before finally accepting that I had already heard the original, as it were.

Comment

Jah Womble wrote: I wonder whether anyone on here will dare admit to only having heard the Kula Shaker version? (This isn't me doing so, btw.)
                  When I first heard the Kula Shaker cover, I was unaware of the Deep Purple one (I never had a hard rock/heavy metal phase).

My suspicions were raised, however, as it sounded too good to be a Kula Shaker original.

Comment

I'd be more than happy to admit not having heard the Deep Purple one, stopping just short of pretending that I haven't.

Comment

Jah Womble wrote: Don't think I've ever heard Ray Davies's original of 'I Go to Sleep' - which I believe only exists as a demo. I definitely thought it was a Pretenders original when they released it in 1981, anyway. Given that they'd already covered 'Stop Your Sobbing' (and that Chrissie H was in a relationship with Davies), I should perhaps have worked that out.
                      Well, a number of people recorded "I Go To Sleep" in the 1960s: Peggy Lee, Cher, The Applejacks (the only one of those I know)...

Comment

I've only ever heard Happy Monday's version of Step On. No idea what the John Kongos original sounds like, but I'd imagine it's much better than the Def Leppard 2006 version, which I've also never heard, but can only imagine is shit, as are they.

Comment

I've only ever heard Happy Monday's version of Step On. No idea what the John Kongos original sounds like, but I'd imagine it's much better than the Def Leppard 2006 version, which I've also never heard, but can only imagine is shit, as are they.
                          The Def Leppard cover that used to get up my nose was 'Action', the old Sweet hit - mostly for the way that Joey Elliott pronounced 'ack-sheeeerrrrn!' (Could be a new thread in its own right - 'Which Def Leppard cover gets up your nose the most?')

Think I still prefer the Kongos original of '(He's Gonna) Step On (You Again)' - I gather that The Mondays also had a go at his 'Tokoloshe Man', but as a live treat.

Well, a number of people recorded "I Go To Sleep" in the 1960s: Peggy Lee, Cher, The Applejacks (the only one of those I know)...
                          Yes, I'd since become aware of these, too. The Truth (not Dennis Greaves's band) also recorded a 1966 version.

Comment

An obvious nominee for this thread would be All Along the Watchtower. Jimi Hendrix's magnificent version is by far the most commonly heard and I only heard the original when I was filling gaps in my early Bob Dylan catalogue about fifteen years ago. Have to say Jimi improved it. Have to also say Bono made it worse again on Rattle and Hum.

At a school concert a few years ago, a number by the Middle School Jazz Ensemble was introduced as "a song made famous by Michael Buble, Moondance."

Comment

[quote=Jah Womble post=731847]

Think I still prefer the Kongos original of '(He's Gonna) Step On (You Again)' - I gather that The Mondays also had a go at his 'Tokoloshe Man', but as a live treat.
                              Happy Mondays version of Tokoloshe Man was actually released on a compilation album to celebrate Elektra Records anniversary which featured the label's current acts covering songs from it's back catalogue.

'Step On' was originally recorded for that album but someone realised it was far too good to give up for it and kept it for a single release.

Comment

If I hear a cover I like I tend to seek out the original so I can't think of any I've not heard.

Wreckless Eric & Amy Rigby's recent two Way Family Favourites album had some great versions of tracks I wasn't familiar with though - Plummet Airlines (Silver Shirt), Tom Petty (Walls), plus a great version of Put a Little Love in Your Heart.

The Damned's take on Alone Again Or is way superior to their run through Eloise and I actually prefer Dylan's All Along the Watchtower to the Hendrix version.

Comment

I doubt that there are many Schlager fans out here, but Kongos also wrote to huge hits in that genre recorded by Israeli singer-actress Daliah Lavi, "Wann kommst Du" and "Willst du mit mir geh’n". Originally they were titled "Won’t You Join Me" and "Would You Follow Me"; the latter became a minor hit for Olivia Newton-John.

Comment

RobM wrote:

The Damned's take on Alone Again Or is way superior to their run through Eloise and I actually prefer Dylan's All Along the Watchtower to the Hendrix version.
                                    The first Alone Again Or I'd heard was by UFO. Then the Damned, then the original by Love. They all are pretty similar sounding.

Comment

I think there's a difference between cover versions — particular songs by a favourite, or well known artist — and "standards" which have been recorded by dozens of people but the original is rarely heard.

A couple have been mentioned already Hush was a minor hit for Billy Joe Royal but featured for loads of bands shortly afterwards, including The Move as well as Deep Purple. Similarly, people coming of age in the late 60s would have heard Summertime Blues by almost anyone except Eddie Cochran, including The Who, The Move (again), and Blue Cheer.

Hey Joe! popularised by The Byrds, The Leaves, Love, Tim Rose and Jimi Hendrix is an extreme example. A live recording by it's author, Billy Roberts apparently exists, but, like Louie, Louie the song's popularity was generated through thousands of performances by others.

Comment

Aparrently the Beach Boys once did a version of Sloop John B.

Don't imagine it's a patch on Rochdale's though.

Comment

There are some very unexpected original artists of classic songs.

"When Something Is Wrong With My Baby" by Sam & Dave? First done by country star Charlie Rich (who at the time fancied himself something of a soul singer).

"Just Walkin' In The Rain" by poor old Johnny Ray? Writen and first recorded on Sun by The Prisonaires, inmates of a Tennessee jail.

Rod Stewart's pop dirge "Some Guys Have All The Luck"? First done by soul group The Persuaders (who also did the original of The Pretenders' "Thin Line Between Love And Hate").

Gladys Knight's "Midnight Train To Georgia"? It was first a country song by American footballer Jim Weatherley, who wrote the thing as "Midnight Plane to Houston". It became a train going to Georgia when Cissy Houston covered it.

Johnny Cash's "A Boy Named Sue"? Written and first recoerded by Shel Silverstein (and if you don't know it, seek out his answer record, "Father Of A Boy Named Sue". Breathtaking!)

Shakin' Stevens and Rosemary Clooney's "This Ole House"? Written by country singer Stuart Hamblen (google him; very interesting life story).

Joe Cocker's note-murdering "You Are So Beautiful"? First done by Billy Preston (who also released "My Sweet Lord" before George Harrison did; his version supports Harrison's contention that he ripped off "Oh Happy Day", not "He's So Fine").

The Osmonds' "Love Me For A Reason"? Written and first recorded by Johnny Bristol.

Comment

And on AdC's point about standards going through various incarnations... Otis Redding's "Try A Little Tenderness" was a standard in the 1930s already. He copied it from Sam Cooke's live version off the At The Copa LP, trying to fuck it up because he didn't think he was worthy of covering Cooke; Redding didn't know that the song had been around since 1933, when Ruth Etting reorded the first version.

Cooke didn't know either, it seems. He included it in his set after hearing Aretha Franklin's 1962 version. And Aretha based her version on that of Little Miss Cornshucks in 1951, the first R&B treatment of the song.

Comment

Seriously? Paul & Barry Ryan's original seems to earn more radio retreads than The Damned's rather by-numbers rendition.
                                              Womblian wrongness there. The Ryans' version is pedestrian and plodding. The Damned's version is a soaring eagle of bombast and melodrama. No comparison, Vanian wins.

(Although Tino Cassel's version is hilariously good.)

Comment

hobbes wrote:
                                                Womblian wrongness there. The Ryans' version is pedestrian and plodding. The Damned's version is a soaring eagle of bombast and melodrama. No comparison, Vanian wins.
                                                And I'll add that living in the midwest in the late 80's there wasn't any chance of me ever hearing EITHER version or any song by either artist on quickly-everything-turning-corporate yankee radio.

Comment

Smokey Robinson was the first to record I Heard It Through The Grapevine. Gladys Knight's version - a significant hit for her - was released before Marvin Gaye's, although it had been recorded later than Gaye's.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X