Football in Hamburg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Football in Hamburg

san2sboro wrote: I'm off to watch HSV a week on Friday (arriving in Hamboogie (is this acceptable?) on the Thursday), then off to Hannover on the Saturday for another match with an overnight there.

Any advice on other cultural activities, whether I need to take my proper winter coat, good crazy golf courses, beers to seek out or avoid gratefully accepted.
    The mini golf is a must, of course.

I really enjoyed the Miniatur Wunderland thing in the Speicherstadt (which itself is worth seeing). It's a massive model train exhibit, but so much more. The detail and humour is really great fun (the conspiracy theory windiw had me laughing out loud). I'm not a model trainset kind of guy, and much of the time I barely noticed the trains. But I had great fun there.

Comment

Football in Hamburg

G-Man wrote: I really enjoyed the Miniatur Wunderland thing in the Speicherstadt (which itself is worth seeing). It's a massive model train exhibit, but so much more. The detail and humour is really great fun (the conspiracy theory windiw had me laughing out loud).
      I'd go along with that. The little models of couples shagging in the bushes were quite good as well.

Comment

Football in Hamburg

I was going to say that's more of a Fussbudget thing, but with specific regard to the trains.

I like my Bier dunkel, and to be honest, these days, weak.

I haven't clicked on the links (ho ho) yet, but as Middlesboogie is the windiest place in Christendom and is built on a grid pattern I should be able to cope. Layer up, that's the trick.

Comment

Football in Hamburg

I went in a bar near the Millerntor called 'Millerntor' and got really, really drunk. A year later I went back, the barmaid looked at me and said "You were here last year..."

Fuck knows what I got up to, but it left a lasting impression.

Anyway, go there. It's great.

Comment

Football in Hamburg

Sweet Jesus, treibeis' mini golf website is golden. I particularly like the grainy surveillance style photos taken from 200 yards away. The commentary is mint, as well.

Does anyone in Hamburg get the joke, I wonder?

Comment

Football in Hamburg

It really is great, isn't it? I suspect treibeis thought he'd better have a website although mini golf places don't really survive on web traffic, and decided to have some fun with it -- and we benefit from it.

Comment

Football in Hamburg

I've added it to my favourites list, that's how much I enjoyed it. The stock photos of grinning golfers make me howl, for some reason.

Comment

Football in Hamburg

Thanks for the kind words.

G-Man's sussed me out, of course. I've spent over ten years working for a company that takes months to get one web page up and running (seriously). I just wanted a website I can piss about with whenever I like.

Comment

Football in Hamburg

It's definitely a credit to you!

Comment

Football in Hamburg

Such a tragedy that I hadn't seen that site three weeks ago.

Anyway san2s, Miniatur Wunderland. Another endorsement (though it is right up my street anyway).

Comment

Football in Hamburg

Miniatur Wunderland has an English language website now.

It's also very much up my street, but still interesting for those not into model railways. And, as G-man notes, the Speicherstadt is one of the most interesting parts of the city.

Comment

Football in Hamburg

And, as G-man notes, the Speicherstadt is one of the most interesting parts of the city.

Yes, it is. I've been to Dialog im Dunkeln three times and enjoyed it immensely on each occasion.

The problem with the Speicherstadt is that it's been swallowed by the Hafencity. People go on about the wonderful new architecture, but I've only ever found newbuilds with stick-on balconies; budgie cages with drinking troughs.

The most interesting thing about the Hafencity is the look of utter bemusement on many vistors' faces, as if they're thinking, "Jesus, I've been here oover an hour and I've still not found the good bit."

Oh, and the lights in one of the tube stations are quite good.

Comment

Football in Hamburg

The 'Great Continental Railway Journeys' on iPlayer at the minute has a bit on Hambrough, with a quite charming piece with Michael Portillo hand painting his own model for the Miniatur Wunderland.

Comment

Football in Hamburg

We watched the programme over the weekend and paused at the point where the Portillo figure was placed on the platform. By comparing that with a photograph I happened to take when I was there, by zooming in I was able to verify that the Portillo figure is no longer there. Much as I dislike Portillo's politics, I find that quite sad. I also find it quite sad that the Portillo figure seems to have been removed shortly after it was put there.

Comment

Football in Hamburg

I wish I'd seen that post before I went, Capy, as I spent too much time looking for it.

Miniatur Wunderland is possibly the greatest thing in the world, I even picked up the hardback book for a sniptastic €9.90 when we were there. The lads who went for an open top tourist bus ride round the city will never have had the childish glee I did.

Comment

Working...
                                X