#1's - The Eighties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

#1's - The Eighties

That's useful, up to a point. Breakdowns by country would show the full picture.

Scary Monsters went platinum the year after release, LD within a month, and made much bigger sales in the US, which is what I'm on about.

I'm told platinum was 900,000 in 1981; I'm still not clear where (what country) SM's platinum sales were. Getting bored myself now and have work to do.

Comment

#1's - The Eighties

The BPI site was actually linked in my opening post.

As I said before, platinum status in the UK for albums have been 300,000 units since 1979. Platinum status in the USA has been one million since that award was introduced in 1976.

I'm sure you'll draw your own conclusions but I just wanted to introduce some facts in to the discussion.

Comment

#1's - The Eighties

I saw David Bowie on the Serious Moonlight tour at Milton Keynes Bowl. It was excellent but I got very dehydrated. It was a hot day.

"Dog Eat Dog" is definitely the best Adam and the Ants songs.

1982 was the best year for music.

Comment

#1's - The Eighties

Harry Grindell Matthews wrote: The BPI site was actually linked in my opening post.

As I said before, platinum status in the UK for albums have been 300,000 units since 1979. Platinum status in the USA has been one million since that award was introduced in 1976.

I'm sure you'll draw your own conclusions but I just wanted to introduce some facts in to the discussion.

I'm very happy to have the facts and figures and wasn't challenging you in quoting them. I'd just like further breakdown. The main issue seems to have been that I asserted LD was a huge step-up in terms of sales(and used the word breakthrough, although qualifying it with "of sorts") and then disagreement about what makes an artist "major".

I was wrong about Scary Monsters not being platinum - it got there, the next year, only doing gold in the first few months of release - but right that LD sold way above that, and in the States, where he'd previously had limited and patchy success.

I wouldn't keep banging on (honestly) were it not for JW's withering dismissal of what I said.

Comment

#1's - The Eighties

Tramp The Dirt Down wrote:
            Originally posted by George
            The late James Hamilton was an interesting character. Few sights could have been more bizarre than that of the man fastidiously checking his BPM counter whilst dressed like James Robertson Justice at places such as Paradise Garage.
            George I was an avid reader of James Hamilton's column in the Record Mirror in the early 80's - I never knew he passed away.
            He died 16 years ago.

Here is a link to a wonderful thread over on the DJhistory forum which includes somebody who acquired a box load of old gospel records from Hamilton's collection after it went up for auction after his death and an old friend reminiscing.

Comment

Working...
            X