• Time
  • Show
Clear All

#1's - The Eighties

Laurie Anderson - O Superman
    Later covered by Black Lace, of course.

Comment

#1's - The Eighties

Great to be reminded of a classic disco single in Diana Ross's Upside Down, but More Than In Love by (someone called) Kate Robbins and Beyond? I don't remember that one at all.

Comment

#1's - The Eighties

I don't remember it either, but a quick search reveals that not only was it a song sung by a character from Crossroads, but the actress playing the character was Kate Robbins, whose 80s high point was voicing most of the female population of Spitting Image puppets.

Comment

#1's - The Eighties

And, fact-fans, a cousin of Paul McCartney!

Comment

#1's - The Eighties

Crusoe wrote: ...not only was it a song sung by a character from Crossroads...
            I don't remember Kate Robbins' song at all but I'm ready to throw my woolly hat into the ring and suggest that it can't have matched up to the magisterial Benny's Theme.

Comment

#1's - The Eighties

OK, well, while, we're investigating details of Kate Robbins' biog, I don't think it should be overlooked that she "attended Wirral Grammar School for Girls and won the Drama Prizes each year, notably with her monologue 'All this glitters is not gold'."

Comment

#1's - The Eighties

1. 1980 & 1981. I started secondary school in September 1980, and I've always looked back at those years as a really good time in my life, so the music from then was a great soudtrack for me.
                I was just starting to get into music, and was a big fan of Coming Up by Paul McCartney, which started my love-affair with The Beatles. So, 1980 was started by Paul McCartney, and ended with John Lennon.
                I've also got a soft-spot for 1989. I know a few of you have put that as your worst, and its not represented well in its No.1s, but there was a lot of great rap/hip-hop records out then, as well as the emergence of Madchester.

2.1986, 87 and 88. Seriously, seriously bland. Yuppies here, yuppies there, yuppies every fucking where!

3.1980 - Going Underground, 1981 - Under Pressure, 1982 - A Town Called Malice, 1983/84/85/86/87 - no thanks, 1988 - Theme From S'Express (coupled with no.2 hit Beat 'Dis), 1989 - Back To Life.

4.Too many to mention!

Overall, this is the sort of thread that Spearmint Rhino would have revelled in!

Comment

#1's - The Eighties

1: What was the best year?

2: What was the worst year?

3: What was the best #1 from each year?
                  1980 - Going Underground
                  1981 - One Day in Your Life
                  1982 - The Model/Pass the Dutchie (Tie)
                  1983 - Billie Jean
                  1984 - Relax
                  1985 - You Spin Me Round
                  1986 - Caravan of Love
                  1987 - Pump Up the Volume/Stand By Me (Tie)
                  1988 - Desire
                  1989 - Back to Life

4: What was the worst #1 from each year?
                  1980 - There's No One Quite Like Grandma
                  1981 - Jealous Guy
                  1982 - Save Your Love
                  1983 - Baby Jane
                  1984 - I Just Called To Say I Love You
                  1985 - Easy Lover/Power of Love/There Must Be an Angel (3-way tie)
                  1986 - You Take My Breath Away
                  1987 - China in Your Hand (One of the worst records of all time. Period.)
                  1988 - Groovy Kind of Love
                  1989 - Any Jive Bunny

If number one singles were any kind of yardstick, the eighties grew progressively more depressing by the year. But they aren't, obviously.

But it only got top 5, didn't it?
                  Dog Eat Dog peaked at #4 - Adam's breakthrough hit and definitely his finest moment. (How is Let's Dance a 'breakthrough' hit for Bowie, btw?)

Comment

#1's - The Eighties

Serge wrote: And, fact-fans, a cousin of Paul McCartney!
                    Also oddly alluring as the Ann Summers party host in the second series of Phoenix Nights.

And also oddly, the mother of Charlotte from The Inbetweeners (actress Emily Atack).

And also, also oddly, she follows me on Twitter.

Comment

#1's - The Eighties

The usual minibus load of 'New Pop' acolytes can go sit on it because this was the greatest number 1 single of 1981..

The Masses Have Spoken!

Comment

#1's - The Eighties

MsD wrote: AATA RULED 1981 with songs from the Kings album.
                        WTF???? I stand by this post, of course, but have no recollection of posting it, nor the post on the history thread, for which I was complimented for "clear thinking".

Just a couple of hours earlier, I'd literally knocked down a table in a West End bar (Grouchos), hit the deck and been carried to a taxi after downing 3 large wines, 3 mojitos, and a Mai Tai. (It was a special occasion, and my date couldn't remember the word "mojito" for the last round.) I got into bed fully clothed with the room spinning around, but managed to feed the cat, post on here and TP, and get up for a full day's work with a slightly dented beehive.

I am so donating my brain to science. And my hair.

Let's Dance broke Bowie through to the mainstream and a whole new audience. There's great division between the Ziggy, Thin White Duke and Let's Dance contingents on the Bowie forums.

Comment

#1's - The Eighties

Great story MSD, but surely Ashes to Ashes at Number 1 for however many weeks would meet most criteria of "mainstream"?

Comment

#1's - The Eighties

Sits With Remote wrote: Great story MSD, but surely Ashes to Ashes at Number 1 for however many weeks would meet most criteria of "mainstream"?
                            He picked up a whole load of different fans with LD. He became kind of straight mainstream, AOR.

The Scary Monsters album was still kind of culty, although hardly underground.

Just checked and LD was indeed his biggest selling album, not sure about single but it's Up There.

Ps, Sony just released a new version of KOTWF by AATA on vinyl, which is weird. http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;0;-1;-1;-1&sku=861849

Comment

#1's - The Eighties

MsD wrote: Is there already a thread on No2s you thought were No1s?
                              Sligthly different, but the best known stallers would have to include The Bitterest Pill and Vienna.

I hate Vienna. Joe Dolce can have a beer on me any day of the week.

Just a couple of hours earlier, I'd literally knocked down a table in a West End bar (Grouchos), hit the deck and been carried to a taxi after downing 3 large wines, 3 mojitos, and a Mai Tai. (It was a special occasion, and my date couldn't remember the word "mojito" for the last round.) I got into bed fully clothed with the room spinning around, but managed to feed the cat, post on here and TP, and get up for a full day's work with a slightly dented beehive.
                              It's not big and it's not clever but, all the same, good work!

Comment

#1's - The Eighties

1980 (Best) Brass in pocket, (Worst) What's another year
                                1981 Ghost town, Shaddap you face
                                1982 Come on Eileen, Ebony and ivory
                                1983 Baby Jane, Is there something
                                1984 99 Luftballoons, Hello
                                1985 You spin me round, Into the groove
                                1986 Caravan of love, Poppadom preach
                                1987 Pump up the volume, Jack your body
                                1988 Don't turn around, I should be etc.
                                1989 Eternal flame, Belfast child

Comment

#1's - The Eighties

You appear to have posted '85 & '86's entries the wrong way round, Mr G.

1: What was the best year.

1980 & 1981

2: What was the worst year.

1989 (these don't particularly reflect my views of music in general in those years)

3: What was the best #1/worst #1 from each year

Best: The Specials - The Special AKA Live! (EP)
                                  Worst: Johnny Logan - What's Another Year

Best: The Human League - Don't You Want Me
                                  Worst: John Lennon - Imagine John Lennon - Woman

Best: Kraftwerk - The Model / Computer Love
                                  Worst: Captain Sensible - Happy Talk

Best: Michael Jackson - Billie Jean
                                  Worst: The Flying Pickets - Only You

Best: Frankie Goes To Hollywood - The Power Of Love
                                  Worst: Paul McCartney - Pipes Of Peace

Best: Madonna - Into The Groove
                                  Worst: USA For Africa - We Are The World / Foreigner - I Want To Know What Love Is. That Eurythmics' one is awful, too.

Best: Pet Shop Boys - West End Girls
                                  Worst: Cliff Richard & The Young Ones, featuring Hank Marvin - Living Doll

Best: The Pet Shop Boys - Always On My Mind
                                  Worst: Ferry Aid - Let It Be

Best: S'Express - Theme From S'Express
                                  Worst: Fairground Attraction Perfect

Best: Madonna - Like A Prayer
                                  Worst: the rest of them

Comment

#1's - The Eighties

[And JW, Dog Eat Dog was Adam and Marco's song - the music is Marco's. It was their finest moment, the first song they wrote together, and no coincidence that it was a "breakthrough". Adam has never had a hit that isn't a Marco co-write.]
                                    'Dog Eat Dog' was credited to Adam & The Ants - if Marco co-wrote it, then good on him. What finally 'broke' them, however, was a very good debut performance of this on TOTP.

Let's Dance broke Bowie through to the mainstream and a whole new audience. There's great division between the Ziggy, Thin White Duke and Let's Dance contingents on the Bowie forums.
                                    Sure, a larger 'pop' audience, perhaps - but 'breakthrough' seems an unwieldy expression for someone who'd already had several platinum albums, number one singles on both sides of the Atlantic and had been famous the world over for at least ten years.

Comment

#1's - The Eighties

In terms of number one, 1980 seems to be king. 1981 and 1982 have my hardest choices (in a good sense) for best song though.

1983 is shockingly poor for number ones, given what good songs there were that year - the least good of all my yearly favourites. But there are worse years overall - hard to choose a worst. Perhaps 1985 - seriously awful.

Best:
                                      1980: David Bowie - Ashes To Ashes
                                      1981: The Specials - Ghost Town
                                      1982: The Jam - A Town Called Malice
                                      1983: David Bowie - Let's Dance
                                      1984: Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Two Tribes
                                      1985: Dead Or Alive - You Spin Me Round (Like A Record)
                                      1986: Pet Shop Boys - West End Girls
                                      1987: The Pet Shop Boys - It's A Sin
                                      1988: S'Express - Theme From S'Express
                                      1989: Black Box - Ride On Time

Worst:
                                      1980: Johnny Logan - What's Another Year
                                      1981: Michael Jackson - One Day In Your Life
                                      1982: Paul McCartney with Stevie Wonder - Ebony & Ivory
                                      1983: Paul Young - Wherever I Lay My Heart (That's My Home)
                                      1984: Stevie Wonder - I Just Called To Say I Love You
                                      1985: USA For Africa - We Are The World
                                      1986: Chris De Burgh - The Lady In Red
                                      1987: Ferry Aid - Let It Be
                                      1988: Phil Collins - A Groovy Kind Of Love
                                      1989: One of the Jive Bunnies. They all blend into one.

Comment

#1's - The Eighties

Jah Womble wrote:
                                        [And JW, Dog Eat Dog was Adam and Marco's song - the music is Marco's. It was their finest moment, the first song they wrote together, and no coincidence that it was a "breakthrough". Adam has never had a hit that isn't a Marco co-write.]
                                        'Dog Eat Dog' was credited to Adam & The Ants - if Marco co-wrote it, then good on him. What finally 'broke' them, however, was a very good debut performance of this on TOTP.

Sure, a larger 'pop' audience, perhaps - but 'breakthrough' seems an unwieldy expression for someone who'd already had several platinum albums, number one singles on both sides of the Atlantic and had been famous the world over for at least ten years.
                                        On Bowie, LD broke him through to being a major AOR star and thus lengthened his successful career. It's the first song many people can remember of his. What's wrong with my stating that? I know how big Bowie was before. But it's as if Kate Bush had a fairly ordinary Christmas number 1 in 1990 and picked up loads of fans who'd never heard Wuthering Heights, or had thought she was "weird".

I said "a breakthrough of sorts", if you think it's unwieldy, come up with a better word, but it was certainly a step-change and worthy of comment.

Comment

#1's - The Eighties

MsD wrote:

On Bowie, LD broke him through to being a major AOR star and thus lengthened his successful career. It's the first song many people can remember of his. What's wrong with my stating that? I know how big Bowie was before. But it's as if Kate Bush had a fairly ordinary Christmas number 1 in 1990 and picked up loads of fans who'd never heard Wuthering Heights, or had thought she was "weird".
                                          I remember seeing a David Bowie interview a few years ago when he said he never sold records in large amounts until "Lets Dance"
                                          I was 13 when LD came out, and it was so huge that DB's back catalogue started selling as well - something that hasn't happened in years, re; The Jam in 1980 & 1983 and Dire Straits around the time of Brothers In Arms.

Comment

#1's - The Eighties

That's it, I'm sure the Ziggy album sold many times more post L D than pre.

Actually my friend just put it better "L D was his global breakthrough, he became a "major" artist which he never was internationally".

Comment

#1's - The Eighties

I always thought that Bowie was near enough skint post-Scary Monsters. Along come EMI who offer him a much more generous contract (with a nice advance no doubt) than RCA, and he naturally jumped ship. That he would have to start making 'more commercial' music was the obvious catch.

Comment

#1's - The Eighties

Bowie has referred to LD as his "Phil Collins years".
                                                I was also mildly surprised to learn that he's never even met Phil Collins. I would've thought the 80s was a great place for these guys to meet up.
                                                Also, Paul Weller said in an interview last year that he's never met Mark E Smith. Tha was another mildly surprising moment also.

Comment

#1's - The Eighties

Btw, on AATA, I'm not just being pedantic. I wouldn't expect most people to know the history, but this affects someone I love and where I get the chance to set the record straight, I will. Don't like the way Adam has been rewriting history lately, ill or not.

Comment

#1's - The Eighties

I don't get why you're picking me up on either point?
                                                    The 'Adam' point was one that you made, not me. I said that 'Dog Eat Dog' was his and The Ants's breakthrough hit (and his best, IMO) - which it was. You offered the extra info on Marco P etc, which is interesting but 'additional'. (The only other point I made was that their TOTP appearance nailed it for the group - the record went Top 20 the following week (and then into the Top 5 after the next appearance a fortnight later). I'll always defer to your greater knowledge of all things 'Ant', but I don't think viewers were especially commenting on Marco's instrumentation after their TOTP bow...)

On Bowie, LD broke him through to being a major AOR star and thus lengthened his successful career. It's the first song many people can remember of his. What's wrong with my stating that?
                                                    Actually my friend just put it better "L D was his global breakthrough, he became a "major" artist which he never was internationally".
                                                    As I've already stated, I struggle with any use of the word 'breakthrough' - or at least the inference of it - because a) Bowie was already a major star; and b) the success of Let's Dance didn't really presage huge sales of his subsequent albums. I'm happy to agree that LD broadened his fanbase for that one album, but if the title track is the first song folk remember of his, then I'd wager that that can only be down to their age - certainly in Britain. 'Space Oddity' and 'Ashes to Ashes' (to name but two) were never off the radio when they both topped the charts here - ditto 'Fame' in the USA. (Being of a certain age, I first got into Bowie around 1973 - a year in which he had four Top 5 singles and two number one albums.)

Like I said, Bowie pulled in a good slice of the pop market with LD, but none of his later albums matched the sales of Hunky Dory, Ziggy, Aladdin Sane et al - and that's regardless of what percentage of those figures was prompted by the sales of LD. (My guess is that many of these new 'pop' Bowie-converts would've been a trifle bemused by those records anyway.)

I always thought that Bowie was near enough skint post-Scary Monsters. Along come EMI who offer him a much more generous contract (with a nice advance no doubt) than RCA, and he naturally jumped ship. That he would have to start making 'more commercial' music was the obvious catch.
                                                    I have my doubts that a shrewd businessman like Bowie was really on his 'uppers' financially after another platinum-seller in Scary Monsters but I'll concede that if he was, then LD would've been an obvious move.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X