Is this mad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this mad?

I was in a head-on crash in 2000. My mother-in-law broke her back when she fell down a mountain. We both know when the weather is about to change, and we both feel great when it's a full moon. It's happened too regularly and often to be a coincidence.

But Scientific American supports the false positive thing.

Comment

Is this mad?

You can enjoy wine and not talk out your arse.
      I'll have to try that sometime. Doesn't sound like much fun, though.

Comment

Is this mad?

Do you attribute your weather instincts to those accidents jv?

Comment

Is this mad?

jasoń voorhees wrote: I was in a head-on crash in 2000. My mother-in-law broke her back when she fell down a mountain. We both know when the weather is about to change, and we both feel great when it's a full moon. It's happened too regularly and often to be a coincidence.
          I'm not saying it's a coincidence. I'm saying there's potentially confirmation bias or a placebo effect or both.

Whether that's true or not, what it can't possibly be is the tides.

Comment

Is this mad?

I'd suggest that the only way the tides can affect your body is if you fall asleep on the beach and drown.

Comment

Is this mad?

Is Serge a member deliberately placed on to OTF to wind me up? Look at how many teams he supports! Worse still, look at his favourite biscuit! It's a fucking outrage.

Comment

Is this mad?

Yes, Lucia. I've definitely known that a pressure change is coming a day before it happens. I believe it's because I have a bulging disc that is pushing into my spinal column, and I am sensitive to changes in my circulatory system.

New Jersey often is the center point of where 3/4 pressure systems converge, mostly the west, the Gulf, and the Arctic. When I was flying once, I saw the clouds, and it looked like someone dropped a glass table on top of them. The barometric pressure dropping then lifting has an effect on me. It's also why in Lisbon and New Orleans it wasn't as much an issue, as the weather and pressure systems are quite stable.

I am also not saying the tides have to do with anything, I am saying the same forces that the moon has on the tides may very well have an effect on a human. If it's a placebo effect or psychological, so be it.

I'll try another one on you, Wyatt.

In moving around, I've noticed that places that at one point felt like home don't really feel like home, such as the state I grew up in.

Here's what I'm wondering (that has something to do with this topic when considering the moon's orbit around the Earth

(And no, this did not come with smoking a pound of kush,)

While there's a place on earth that you may be comfortable with, is it really there when taken in context that the earth is spinning in the universe ? In other words (please bear with me,) I may be in my house, but in terms of the universe, where I think I am is not in my house, but in my house thousands of miles where I thought I was since the earth is not only spinning, but orbiting the earth.

Has this effect been studied in humans ?

Comment

Is this mad?

jasoń voorhees wrote:
                  I am also not saying the tides have to do with anything, I am saying the same forces that the moon has on the tides may very well have an effect on a human.
                  Yeah, sorry, should have been clearer: it's precisely those forces that I'm saying can't possibly have an effect at small scales. (We Scientists call them "tidal forces", hence the confusion.)

I don't understand the last bit. Does it help if I say there's no such thing as absolute position in space? (My money's on "No".)

Comment

Is this mad?

Erics Inner Monologue wrote: Worse still, look at his favourite biscuit! It's a fucking outrage.
                    I've been known to polish off a large packet of peanut m&m's at work in the afternoon.
                    One day a colleague and saw me, and we got into a conversation about if I was to write a tv series about a quirky detective, one of his obsessions would be peanut m&m's.
                    I was doing "research".

Comment

Is this mad?

THEY AREN'T BISCUITS

Comment

Is this mad?

No-one could call them biscuits, could they? I mean, usually, I'm all "well, you know, biscuits, yeah, whatevs", but really, there is a line.

Comment

Is this mad?

Oh, alright, I'll change it then.

Comment

Is this mad?

Everybody happy now?

Comment

Is this mad?

Happy at the decision to change, not happy at the choice of biscuit. Thanks, Serge!

Comment

Is this mad?

I nearly bought some biscuits today, but then I didn't.

Comment

Is this mad?

I love your stories.

Comment

Is this mad?

I don't understand the last bit. Does it help if I say there's no such thing as absolute position in space? (My money's on "No".)

Yeah that helps, and kind of what I'm getting at. If where we think we are isn't really where we are. If placement in outer space plays tricks with our perception of memories of places.

Comment

Is this mad?

I've just had a biscuit. One of those Italian ones you make tiramisu with. But I had it with hot chocolate.

Living large here, we are.

Comment

Is this mad?

Isn't that really more of a twinkie than a biscuit?

Comment

Is this mad?

No, I think a twinkie is much softer, with filling. This is a fairly dryish coffee-cookie. But, as I say, with hot chocolate - made with milk, not hot water.

Comment

Is this mad?

made with milk, not hot water
                                            Well, of course. I may be a provincial, but i'm not an utter savage.

Comment

Is this mad?

The Sky At Nice.

Comment

Is this mad?

I only found out recently that that biscuit is meant to be pronounced to rhyme with "mice", rather than "geese" - nothing to do with the South of France.

Comment

Is this mad?

Yeah that helps, and kind of what I'm getting at. If where we think we are isn't really where we are. If placement in outer space plays tricks with our perception of memories of places
                                                  I'm not sure I follow. There are lots of things that we perceive that actually aren't. In fact most of what we see or feel isn't real, it's a rough approximation our brain cooks up to cope with the volume of input.
                                                  For example despite what your brain tells you, only the centre of your vision is in focus. the rest is "filled in" by your brain. it's an enormously powerful filter and fill machine.

Comment

Is this mad?

Mitch wrote: I only found out recently that that biscuit is meant to be pronounced to rhyme with "mice", rather than "geese" - nothing to do with the South of France.
                                                    I misread this and ended up completely perplexed as to how you could pronounce biscuit to rhyme with either mice or geese.

The mental effort means I can now justify having a chocolate biscuit, mind. Result.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X