The Euro 2020 host venue options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

but spreading a tournament over eight venues in an area as big as France and Germany put together is a stupid way to run a tournament. Poland and Ukraine couldn't afford to host this tournament properly, and the Ukraine end was held together with twine and massive bribes. For Irish fans, travelling to paris, staying for a couple of days, and then moving on to another european city in another european country is fucking insane, and brings all of the shit aspects of hosting a tournament in a couple of huge countries, with none of the benefits of a traditional tournament.
    Yeah, but I didn't travel between venues, I only went to one match in Poznan. There were direct flights to Poznan, but couldn't afford a flight to Poznan. I had to get up at half past death to catch the first flight to Berlin. I slept on the grass next to the parking lot at Berlin airport for a while and then I was picked up by a Dutch car and we drove to Poznan. Watched the match. Couldn't stay in Poznan because we couldn't book a place to stay in Poznan. So we drove back to Germany and stayed there.

These are the lengths I had to go to in order to avoid Polish price gouging. The alternative was staying in a tent in the rain in Poznan with a few thousand drunk 21 year olds. It's great for them, they can take weeks off work and think it's brilliant to spend a couple of weeks in a field.

But what about families or older people who want to take in a football match? You can expect them to be sleeping on the grass at Berlin airport.

Don't tell me that Copenhagen or Stockholm wouldn't be better able to cope. They have much more accommodation and much larger airports with more available flights. Sure, the direct flights might sell out, but there are other indirect routes to those airports. Poznan airport is fucking tiny. Bigger cities with better accommodation and transport links would make the match attractive for a much wider audience, and we might not have to suffer Ireland being sung off the pitch after being humiliated.

Comment

it's the let them eat cake approach to travelling to football matches.
      This. Platini's was a monstrously offensive and ignorant comment - for reasons others have already emphasized. It's not just the half dozen flights within a fortnight, there's the accommodation, etc. But, f*ck it, what's ambience/flavour/carnival atmosphere when compared to flogging a bank of empty seats to IBM, eh?

I don't see how this model is going to support games between two poorly supported sides, such as the Bulgaria v Rumania example cited above. At present those games are accommodated by the host nation factor, so 5,000 fans turn up just for the ambiance of the tournament, but there's no ambiance in Bulgaria v Rumania in Istanbul, or Serbia v Slovakia in Turin.
      Exactly. If you're expanding the tournament to 24 teams (which really didn't need to happen) then why alienate travelling supporters like this? 'Because it's not about the supporters'? Well, it has to be if you're opening up to lesser footballing nations: sponsors aren't going to bust their arses for the above...

Comment

[quote]Bryaniek wrote:
        Originally posted by Tony C
        When I was in Berlin I met loads of Italian, Irish and Spanish fans who had decided to spend the non-match days in Berlin. It was a more interesting city, the accommodation was cheaper and the football atmosphere there was actually better and less alcoholic.
        Yeah but you couldn't met John Delaney in Berlin.

Couldn't stay in Poznan because we couldn't book a place to stay in Poznan.
        You could have told me - i'd have get you free accomodation with young, good looking women, willing to improve their language skills.

Comment

you should probably have mentioned this before the tournament magik.

bryan, I'm not suggesting that they model the tournament on polkraine. That was pretty ridiculous. Poland itself is a very large country. If you're going to share the tournament, then something like Euro 2000, or Euro 2008 would be a good model.

But expanding the tournament to 24 countries is the real problem. It's just fucking insane.

Comment

Mentioned it lots of times before, almost everyone knows where i'm based. Garcia found me no problem.

Comment

I thought you lived in Gdansk?

And I must be the only Irish person who didn't get a free drink off John Delaney in Poznan. I feel cheated...

Comment

I mean about the hotties....

Comment

Oh Berbaslug now i know what you mean. And Bryan, i dont live in Gdansk, but even better - in Sopot where the irish hordes had their base camp. I met John Delaney alright, he was tough to miss, my kids played with John Walters' children etc. but i wont go into details.

Poland's big place but not that big - i know people in Poznan too...But it's too late anyway...shame. Next Euros here are in 2020 though!

Comment

are jon walters' kids as fond of sunbeds as their da?

Comment

Didn't ask to be honest...chatted to the man about his oldest daughter who was about eight at the time wheras the day before i translated a piece for polish version of uefa.com (yes i worked for Monsieur Twatini and his mates during the euros) about her not getting out of hospital for two first years of her life....it was good to see her in good health....

Comment

A version of the NCAA Basketball Tournament where players can't use their hands.

• The matches will be split into 13 different packages, with 12 ordinary packages including three group matches and one knockout round (round of 16 or quarter-final), and one package for the semi-finals and the final;

• There will only be a maximum of one venue per country, meaning one stadium for each of the available 13 packages. Both semi-finals and the final will be played in one stadium; and

• Each association will be allowed to present up to two bids, one for the ordinary package and one for the semi-finals/final package. Each national association can decide to present the same city for these two bids or two different cities.

Comment

I wonder if the three group games are all going to be for the same group, as used to happen at World Cups and Euro Champs. If so, will one side get to stay in the same country/city whilst the other three all switch between two places?

Are UEFA going to actively seek to place teams at home in their groups, or are they going to try and make sure as few as possible have home advantage?

Finally, I wonder if they considered this system? Last 16 played over two legs, with one match hosted in each of the involved countries. Ditto quarter-finals. Semis and Final to be held in one location, venue to be chosen from the amongst the countries that have reached the last four.

Comment

There will be a hosting advantage, but not an absolute one:

A maximum of two host teams would be drawn into each of the six final tournament groups, with each qualified host being guaranteed two home matches in the group phase. There would not be any such guarantee for the knockout stages.

Comment

"A maximum of two host teams would be drawn into each of the six final tournament groups" - or to put it another way, there will be 2 x 6 = 12 host teams out of a possible, um, 12*.

By implication, we can tease answers to most of the other questions as well from that statement.

"each qualified host being guaranteed two home matches in the group phase." - OK, so if a country gets selected to host, it's three games will all be in the same group. It will pair up (presumably vaguely geographically) with another country which hosts the other three games in that group. But there will be no seeded team that doesn't shift location, each team will play two matches in one city and one in the other.

* - anyone else notice the way this subtelty selects for each group two populous nations that have a big stadium in one of their large cities boasting lots of hotel rooms that can easily act as a host (and probably a big TV market to boot), and two smaller nations that don't have as big or modern stadiums (or TV markets) and so are not about to host games? Basically, England/London - yes, Slovenia/Ljubljana - no. UEFA have managed to sneak seeding on size rather than recent results past everybody here.

Comment

It's an absolutely shit idea.

Unless Glasgow gets picked. Scotland playing anyone at Celtic Park, definitely gets my vote.

Comment

Gero- don't forget the Commonwealth games, Parkheid is a main venue, including for the opening ceremony. I hope to be there cheering on our bowlers, small bore shooters and the rest.

Comment

REALLY looking forward to the Commonwealth Games.

the only games where the spectators will fail a drugs test.

Comment

No to Israel.

Comment

One per country. I wonder will they use their brains and cluster groups in stadia relatively near each other. So a Stockholm-Oslo-Copenhagen group, a Vienna-Munich-Milan group, a Amsterdam-Brussels-Paris group, Glasgow-Dublin-Cardiff, etc. I very much doubt it.

edit:
                                        For the group stage, the group composition would remain subject to seeding and to a draw. However, the allocation of hosting teams to the groups would also take travel distances into account (for example, and if feasible, flights would not exceed two hours' duration between host cities to allow easy access to travelling fans).
                                        Copenhagen to Zagreb is two hours flying time, for example. It's a 1,500 km, 16 hour drive according to Google Maps. They really couldn't give two fucks about ground based supporters, huh.

Comment

That depends on how brash they feel about making it obvious the draw is being manipulated, doesn't it? Geographical groupings would certainly make sense.

The one venue per country thing is also a bind in England and Scotland. The bid has to come via the respective FAs. One owns a ground and the other has a very strong tie-in with a ground. So that would be Wembley for the English bid and Hampden for the Scottish one, and those like Gerontophile hoping Celtic Park, or not-London in England, get selected are whistling in the wind.

Oh, and the FA are certain to put Wembley forward for the Semis and Final, aren't they? They will argue that it represents an opportunity for England to play those games at home. This would be an extremely foolish position, as there is no chance of England winning through away under such circumstances. He says confidently, despite 2020 being 7 years away and so the England team theoretically being able to be an entirely different beast...

Comment

Bryaniek wrote: One per country. I wonder will they use their brains and cluster groups in stadia relatively near each other. So a Stockholm-Oslo-Copenhagen group, a Vienna-Munich-Milan group, a Amsterdam-Brussels-Paris group, Glasgow-Dublin-Cardiff, etc. I very much doubt it.
                                            It'd only be workable under that suggestion, assuming you want decent crowds for the group games. I'd throw in a hope for Vienna-Budapest-Prague (or Bratislava, but I don't think they've got a stadium of sufficient size) to get some 'smaller' hosts in. Milan-Basel-Munich would work OK in that setup. Zagreb-Sarajevo-Belgrade would be another good one, but might be too potentially explosive depending on how the group games go.

In terms of the final, it'll be interesting to see where will be selected. I don't think even UEFA have the brass neck to pick the Stade de France straight after 2016.

Comment

Nothing big enough in Prague, or anywhere else in the Czech Republic.
                                              Lesser Strahov holds ~20,000, Eden 21,000, Letna ~21,000. The stadium in Teplice, where the national team often plays, is ~18,500. And those are the biggest all-seated football grounds in the country. Nor in Slovakia either, after Slovan's crumbling old ground was razed recently. The Nepstadion in Budapest is in the same state and is due for demolition, and Hungary has nothing else of suitable size. Would the pretty limited extra incomce of four games be enough to fund a redevlopement?
                                              Poland obviously has options following the last Euros. And Ukraine. Russia likewise already has some good, large grounds and will be building others for the 2018 World Cup. Romania has a large and very well appointed new national stadium, doesn't it? So pencil Bucharest in, but I'm not sure where else nearby has anything as useful.

Comment

So pencil Bucharest in, but I'm not sure where else nearby has anything as useful.
                                                Don't worry, it should only be two hours flight time away according to UEFA (see my edit my last post).

So Bucharest and Rome?

Comment

Janik wrote: Nothing big enough in Prague, or anywhere else in the Czech Republic.
                                                  Lesser Strahov holds ~20,000, Eden 21,000, Letna ~21,000. The stadium in Teplice, where the national team often plays, is ~18,500. And those are the biggest all-seated football grounds in the country. Nor in Slovakia either, after Slovan's crumbling old ground was razed recently. The Nepstadion in Budapest is in the same state and is due for demolition, and Hungary has nothing else of suitable size. Would the pretty limited extra incomce of four games be enough to fund a redevlopement?
                                                  Poland obviously has options following the last Euros. And Ukraine. Russia likewise already has some good, large grounds and will be building others for the 2018 World Cup. Romania has a large and very well appointed new national stadium, doesn't it? So pencil Bucharest in, but I'm not sure where else nearby has anything as useful.
                                                  Ah balls. I'd made some vague assumptions there that they had decent stadia based on at least Prague teams' European Cup appearances. The Budapest stadium's replacement should at least fulfil the criteria though, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them included.

Sorry Bryan, hadn't taken your post in when posting earlier. Two hours' flight time is bonkers isn't it? Rome-Bucharest-Istanbul here we come. How much are ticket sales (to Joe Public, not corporate/sponsor deals) of importance to the tournament anymore? I can't imagine they bring in comparatively much compared to other sources of income, if they're pressing ahead with this business.

Comment

The stadia are decent. Eden (Slavia) is a plush, modern stadium, as one would expect of a ground that is less than five years old. Shame about the team... Letna (Sparta) is fine, if slightly longer in the tooth. They are just relatively small, as the clubs have no need for anything bigger.
                                                    The problem with the Budapest replacement stadium, like the one in Bratislava, is where is the money going to come from to rebuild it? The Hungarian government is unlikely to stump up the cash, as people are going to swing into Budapest and swing back out again, rather than spend 2-3 weeks in the country, spending money, boosting the economy. The multiplier effect that encourages countries to invest just isn't there.
                                                    They haven't even got around to knocking down the old Nep, despite that being long overdue. It would have happened if they had got Euro 2012, but when that one slipped past then the project went onto indefinite hold.

I find it hard to imagine new grounds being built, or significant redevelopments happening, for this. It will happen in venues that are already there and operating. Which does bias it rather towards Western Europe and Southern Europe, with the addition of those few Eastern countries that have hosted in the very recent past or will do in the near future.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X