The Euro 2020 host venue options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, I think this is a decent summary of the list of the options. Please fill in any ommisions.

Austria - Prater
    Belgium - King Baudouin Stadium, Brussels
    Croatia - Maksimir, Zagreb
    Denmark - Parken, Copenhagen
    England - Wembley (amongst others)
    Finland - Olympic Stadium, Helsinki
    France - Stade de France (amongst others)
    Germany - many options
    Greece - Olympic Stadium, Athens (amongst others)
    Ireland - New Lansdowne Road
    Italy - many options
    Netherlands - Amsterdam Arena or De Kuip, Rotterdam
    Poland - National Stadium, Warsaw (amongst others)
    Portugal - many options
    Romania - National Arena, Bucharest
    Russia - Luzhniki (amongst others)
    Scotland - Hampden (amongst others)
    Serbia - Crvena zvezda Stadium, Belgrade
    Spain - many options
    Sweden - Ullevi, Gothenburg or Rasunda, Stockholm
    Turkey - Ataturk Stadium, Istanbul (amongst others)
    Ukraine - Donbass Arena, Donetsk or Olympic Stadium, Kiev
    Wales - Millenium Stadium

In some countries the choice that will be made is pretty obvious, so I haven't bothered noting the other options that country has in theory. Oh, and to hell with sponsors names, hence 'New Lansdowne Road'.

Some of the ones that don't make the cut are reasonably predictable. for exmaple, the Maksimir in Zagreb, Crvena zvezda Stadium in Belgrade and the Olympic Stadium in Helsinki are quite old and could only make it with refurbishment.

Comment

Stockholm now has Friends Arena, a 50,000 idendikit sliding roof Arena. There's rumours that Råsunda might be torn down. edit: Those rumours are true. What a damn shame.

Comment

Janik wrote: The stadia are decent. Eden (Slavia) is a plush, modern stadium, as one would expect of a ground that is less than five years old. Shame about the team... Letna (Sparta) is fine, if slightly longer in the tooth. They are just relatively small, as the clubs have no need for anything bigger.
        Poor choice of words by me. I meant that I thought they'd have stadiums in line with the requirements to host tournament matches (i.e. big enough at least, even if long in the tooth).

The UEFA outliers can go on your list, even if they haven't a cat in hell's chance of getting a game. Armenia have a huge thing in Yerevan that's got to be within the criteria, but distance and politics will put paid to that. Kazakhstan would throw something up with oil and gas money to add more pointless bling to Astana, ditto Azerbaijan in Baku (they've a proven pedigree in white elephants, what with the recent Eurovision). Astana's just a tad over two hours from anywhere though, I fear, and Yerevan and Baku may be too politically delicate.

Having had a gander at stadia in Georgia, Tbilisi has one large enough that's all-seater. Near enough to Donetsk and Istanbul to form a group I'd have thought, but may not be a possibility due to security concerns/Russian politicking

Comment

I'd also question whether Italy really has "many options".

Very few grounds in Italy have seen any kind of meaningful development since Italia '90, and if the state doesn't have the money for major refurbishment, I'm not sure if even the Meazza (at San Siro) would meet UEFA's requirements. Napoli's San Paolo certainly would not. The only two current grounds that could without major work would be the Olimpico in Rome and Juventus' new ground in Torino, but the latter "only" holds 41,000.

Feyenoord have also announced plans to replace De Kuip by 2017.

The requirement of a 70,000 seat ground for the "Final Four" really limits the number of host possibilities.

Comment

Still trying to get my head around how this might work... So presumably each group will be split between two hosts? Why does everyone here seem to be thinking in terms of clusters of three? Have I missed something?

Though even if you did go with three, Bucharest and Istanbul could be put in with Odessa or Athens for a south-east Europe group.

Still don't get the logic behind this much, if at all. Basically, every Euros from now on is going to be played at Wembley, Stade de France, Amsterdam Arena, one more stadium from Germany, Italy and Spain and six more from various European countries. With the final to come from one of the six options above. Who really cares?

Plus, with the extra travelling now involved, as well as the extra games, surely they are going to have to extend the tournament by a week or so?

Comment

Janik I hope you're wrong on the Istanbul venue as Ataturk has to be one of the worst grounds to either get to and have to watch a game from.

Fenerbahce hosted the Europa League Final in 2009 so that is a valid option as is Galatasaray's new ground. That also has transport issues though.

Comment

The problem for other grounds is that it isn't clubs that bid, it is FAs. Similarly Old Trafford and the City of Manchester stadium are fine grounds that have hosted European Finals, and they have no chance of being selected.

Comment

At present there is no chance for the King Baudouin stadium to be picked in its current state.

Comment

Back to zbignew's points:

1) I agree with you that the most likely configuration is two hosts for each of six groups (with a different host for the "final four"). You would get three hosts per group if you had four groups of six instead of six groups of four.

2) At least currently, UEFA is saying that this is a one-off for 2020, with a return to single or dual-country hosting for 2024.

Comment

UEFA hands four more Euro 2020 games to Wembley. Nice of them to give some of the smaller nations a chance to host international tournament games.

Comment

Losing out to Sweden would have been easy to take ... losing out to give England/Wembley another four games is an absolute disgrace

Comment

The fuck? Why wouldn’t they use Cardiff? Not enough 5 star hotels? It seems a far better stadium than the fucked Hampden or soulless seeming Wembley, but they’re both being used.

Comment

It's a fucking stupid yet predictable decision. Wembley, although impressive inside, has bollocks all to do on the outside. Cardiff is a fantastic stadium on all counts. Crazy.

Comment

England effectively hosting the tournament with crumbs to small fry neighbors? Cymru are well out of it

Comment

Not so much England as Wembley. Seven games being played in one stadium. It's bad enough that they couldn't offer the games to another country, but if it had to be England couldn't they have considered Old Trafford for the group games?

Comment

If England end up playing all their games at Wembley, it will be a total stitch up. Does the same get repeated every 4 years? What would be the point?

Comment

No, this is a one-off.

Hosts will only play two of their group games at home, that has already been announced. And the 12 last-16 and QF games are distributed over all 12 venues. Therefore the most games England could play at Wembley would be five out of seven.

Comment

It's a minimum of two games at home. If Scotland don't qualify, why would England's third game be held in Glasgow? England would get to the last 8 having played 4 games in the UK, probably all at Wembley but would then have a QF in Munich, Baku, St Petersburg or Rome.

Comment

Janik, the BBC article says qualified hosts will play a minimum of two group games at home. Are you saying it is actually exactly two?

I had not realised that cities had already been paired. It means England and Scotland will be in each other's group and we will get Spain if all 4 countries qualify. Dublin to Bilbao isn't exactly a majorly trafficked route.

Comment

Amsterdam and Bucharest is one pairing. Neither country qualified for WC 2018 so that might be interesting.

In fact it is conceivable that fewer than half of the 12 group hosts will qualify, unless some refs get bribed.

Comment

Janik, I think you're assuming the games are randomly allocated to the four teams in each group, so each has an equal chance of playing two at Wembley. However that would be financially perverse because, say, England could be playing Team B at Hampden on the same day as Teams C and D are meeting at Wembley. I just can't see it.

Comment

Feyenoord have also announced plans to replace De Kuip by 2017.

That’s crazy. They are going to Emirates themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                                Janik, I think you're assuming the games are randomly allocated to the four teams in each group, so each has an equal chance of playing two at Wembley. However that would be financially perverse because, say, England could be playing Team B at Hampden on the same day as Teams C and D are meeting at Wembley. I just can't see it.
                                                Nope, I had read the report about qualified hosts getting two home games, and had missed the key phrase 'Minimum' in there.

Comment

So England, if they were a better side, could in theory win it by only playing one match, the QF, away from Wembley and that makes a mockery of the promise to spread the games around.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X