X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
    As if it wasn't already clear, Spaniards and Catalans are sharply divided:

https://www.elespanol.com/espana/201...1975622_0.html
    "Do you approve or disapprove of the police actions?" Yes or No. Either Spanish works very differently, or that is a weirdly presented piece of data (though it's easy to work out what "yes" and "no" refer to when you see the graphs)

Finally I see that a government spokesperson has apologised (after a fashion) for the violence.

Comment

The official results have been published, but given the Generalitat isn't meeting until Tuesday, the famous "48 hours" must only involve workdays.

Comment

Artur Mas now more or less telling the FT that Catalunya isn’t ready for full independence yet. If the left of the coalition pull Poor Carles into UDI Tuesday, it’ll be a reverse 1916. Instead of the mad blood sacrifice dreams of the bourgeoise Language and Blood wing pulling in the more reluctant to die for Fuck All Citizen Army of Connolly, it’s the left Nats talking shite about occupying the Airport. Catalunya is a deeply strange place. There’s a lot of people in Scotland and the North who need to stop drawing easy parallels. Including me just there.

But hey, Pearse’s glorious extended suicide worked, maybe this will all be grand for Catalunya Lliure. In a while.
        Last edited by Lang Spoon; 06-10-2017, 19:54. Reason: Fucking Espanish siding autocorrect. Fash bastards.

Comment

I see the Spanish nationalists are getting some very friendly coverage on the TV news today.

Comment

And they're fully welcome to demonstrate - the question being, if there's no political incentive for either Rajoy or Puigdemont to back down, what's going to stop Tuesday's UDI?

Comment

Fear of unseemly behaviour. Economic collapse. Think the Catalans are more in a corner.

Comment

I see the main Catalan nationalists are in ALDE. That might explain why Guy Verhofstadt got stuck in.

The Lib Dems these days have 1 MEP, Catherine Bearder. She's, er, concentrating her attention on Brexit.

Comment

Sensitive de-escalation by the PP here:
                  "Esperemos que mañana no se declare nada. Porque a lo mejor el que lo declare acaba como el que lo declaró hace 83 años", ha dicho Pablo Casado en clara referencia a Lluís Companys, que murió fusilado en Montjüic en 1940.

Comment

Ah yes, death threats.

Comment

They're clearly trying to wind them up into declaring independence so they can send in the Guardia Civil to do some serious violence

Comment

I think Pablo Casado's little dig was probably meant for his own constituency. I bet he represents a fascist little village in the middle of the Castellano countryside.

Comment

I wouldn't call Avila a village, but the province (which is the constituency) certainly contains a number of settlements that match your description (and has been solidly PP for decades).

It's worth noting, however, that he is also the party's senior official for communications.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                            I wouldn't call Avila a village, but the province (which is the constituency) certainly contains a number of settlements that match your description (and has been solidly PP for decades).

It's worth noting, however, that he is also the party's senior official for communications.
                            Far from a Little Flower, then! (Catholic in-joke)

Comment

Woosh. Feeling a total prod right now

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teresa_of_Ávila

Comment

Thanks DR! The Ecstasy of St Theresa were a really good post Loveless shoegaze band, to veer wildly off-topic.

Comment

Actually led myself up the garden path, just remembered it's the Lisieux Teresa who had the horticular adage.

Comment

Slack. Shoddy. Slapdash.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                        Thanks DR! The Ecstasy of St Theresa were a really good post Loveless shoegaze band, to veer wildly off-topic.
                                        Did a thing with British Seapower. It's my only sentence in Czech. Zitra bude krasny den. It'll be a lovely day tomorrow.
                                        Last edited by anton pulisov; 09-10-2017, 23:07.

Comment

It appears that there will be some form of UDI, though whether it'll be sufficiently non-committal to satisfy Madrid, or sufficiently vigorous to appease nationalists, remains to be determined.

Comment

Less than a hour to go:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/li...eferendum-live

Comment

Delayed due to a meeting between Puigdemont and Juncker!

Comment

Call in again at 6, evidently.

Comment

Puigdemont declares independence, immediately suspends it to allow talks with Madrid and Europe. Within 20 minutes, the PP rejects the move, leaving the Catalans with the PR victory, but little else for now.

Comment

Rajoy and Sanchez presently meeting, Cabinet session at 9 a.m. Spanish time.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X