No announcement yet.

Movie/TV clichés

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They've got the right colour palette too.

Comment

Meanwhile a dog walker just discovered a body in Endeavour.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
        ...spots how they can use a satellite's thrusters to fire it into another asteroid, and thereby use that asteroid to knock the first one off course from hitting the earth...
        Red Dwarf, Series 4 Episode 4, "White Hole" wherein Lister, playing pool with planets, -

Originally posted by Wikipedia
        ... plays a trick shot and a planet is knocked against another planet orbiting a close-by Sun, which in turn hits a third planet orbiting another Sun, knocking it towards the white hole, plugging it up ...

Comment

Something this magnificent is only 4.0 out of 10 on imdb,that's shocking

Comment

Originally posted by wiblflibl View Post
            Red Dwarf, Series 4 Episode 4, "White Hole" wherein Lister, playing pool with planets, -
            First thing I thought of too wibl!

Comment

I watched a not very good TV movie about a good story (the segregated proms in the Deep South, and One Brave Student's Battle for Change).

Anyway, to effect the change, the Brave Student has to address the other students in the time-honoured maner - by standing on the table (this time in the cafeteria) and getting everyone's attention. This has been done countless times since Sally Field in Norma Rae, and it always makes everyone stop and listen. It is a Turning Point, guaranteed.

But you do it one time in the office, and there's a snotty e-mail from the HR guy who has never seen any movies ...

Comment

Had me laughing out loud VA. See all those films. A variation is the giant insect film, "Them" for example, were the gritty cop falls for the super intelligent but drop dead hot daughter of the slightly dotty professor as he warns the world of the impending global catastrophe as the giant insects, mutated by fall out from atomic tests, come close to exterminating mankind.

Comment

Just watched Godzilla (2016 version). A good argument for more World Cup games.

Bryan Cranston enters a supposedly dangerous contamination area, checks the reading and then takes off his protective mask. And he's OK, it's safe! Because in all such situations on screen, if you remove the equipment that is keeping you alive, on a strange planet or in the lab, you will know immediately if you've made a mistake. The symptoms are instant. Never mind the possibility of slow-acting radiation, toxic gas etc. If you can breathe and not die there and then, it stands to reason you have nothing to fear. Screw health and safety.

Comment

The Prometheus/ Alien Covenant approach to health and safety.

Just for once I'd like someone to crack their helmet seal, sniff, say "It's fine", then start to melt like the Nazis at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Comment

Looking at TV last night and saw that they were showing a movie called "Substitute". Turned out that it wasn't the long awaited biopic of David Fairclough but a film in which an ex Navy Seal/Special Forces/whatever becomes a substitute teacher in a tough inner city school and by dint of dedication... Fill in the rest.

Comment

Who was the teacher – Steven Seagal? He's always an ex-Navy Seal/ex-Special Forces/whatever.

Comment

Tom Berenger. I didn't watch it.

Comment

Contrary to what most people think, thunder and lightning are in fact invariably experienced with no time lag.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                              Who was the teacher – Steven Seagal? He's always an ex-Navy Seal/ex-Special Forces/whatever.
                              I think there was one with Samuel L Jackson. Maybe a sequel?

Comment

I just watched Karate Kid (original) for the first time in years, or decades. It stands up well, a rare exception to the reliable rule of "Don't watch 80's films again, leave your memories alone, toes will curl".

Anyway, it includes Miyagi's training methods, which are famous enough to be a well worn trope. But even that link omits other examples from movies, and I'm racking my brains to think of them. I can picture the scenes - "students" complaining, the coach/master insisting, the dialogue ("Why the hell are we doing this?"), etc. The training is usually for sport or war. Yoda teaching Luke is similar, but not quite the same: he wants to do the tasks, but feels he can't. The classic "Wax On, Wax Off" examples should be mundane and apparently a waste of time. Training without the ball, as it were.

Any other examples of this cliche come to mind?

Comment

Pretty much every Hong Kong martial arts movie ever? Most obviously Drunken Master, Snake in the Eagle's Shadow, The Magnificent Butcher, 36th Chamber of Shaolin.

Comment

Incidentally, that reminds me I need to watch the Karate Kid TV show now it's out from behind the paywall.

Comment

I'm sure you're right, though I haven't seen any of those.

The scenes in my foggy memory are in English, possibly involving snotty kids on campus.

Comment

Lovely hippy chick proclaims that she is the reincarnation of an Egyptian princess. Why is that it is always a princess that is reincarnated? Never the third assistant shit shoveller at the local Hertz camel rental?

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                                          I'm sure you're right, though I haven't seen any of those.
                                          You should definitely see Drunken Master and Snake in the Eagle's Shadow.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                                            I just watched Karate Kid (original) for the first time in years, or decades. It stands up well, a rare exception to the reliable rule of "Don't watch 80's films again, leave your memories alone, toes will curl".

Anyway, it includes Miyagi's training methods, which are famous enough to be a well worn trope. But even that link omits other examples from movies, and I'm racking my brains to think of them. I can picture the scenes - "students" complaining, the coach/master insisting, the dialogue ("Why the hell are we doing this?"), etc. The training is usually for sport or war. Yoda teaching Luke is similar, but not quite the same: he wants to do the tasks, but feels he can't. The classic "Wax On, Wax Off" examples should be mundane and apparently a waste of time. Training without the ball, as it were.

Any other examples of this cliche come to mind?
                                            I find that cliche applies to real life a lot.

Comment

It's certainly the same cat that gets disturbed when the protagonist is exploring a dark house, emitting the same high pitched squeal as it scuttles past.

Comment

When hiring security goons for your nasty business (criminal or veneer-respectable) make sure they have no interest in sports, particularly soccer. Watching the game on TV is a guaranteed distraction, leading to death of guards and/or escape of hero.

In Taken 2 (yeah, sorry) Liam Neeson's plans are greatly assisted by the entire group of baddies watching a game, and because it is Istanbul and to prove they are very uncivilised men who will not be missed, the game is in black and white.

(Edit: forgot to add ... at a very helpful moment, there will be goalmouth action, and increased audience engagement).

Comment

If you're a teacher/professor you never finish your lesson in time, all your students charge out the door when the bell goes and you have to yell next weeks study work after them, before looking exasperated and starting a conversation that moves the plot forward.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X