So, Santi Cazorla, then

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, Santi Cazorla, then

I think he's great. None more Spanish. He is the Platonic Ideal of the Greasy Dago. He's like something out of a Jess Franco movie.

A corrupt police chief, yesterday. Probably dealing with an outbreak of lesbian vampires, or something.

So, Santi Cazorla, then

Born just 4 kilometres from Oviedo, in Lugo de Llanera, Asturias. Representative of the local male, thereby paving the way for my charm and boyish, film-star good looks to thrive and prosper with las seņoritas.

Comment

So, Santi Cazorla, then

looks like gavin henson to me

Comment

So, Santi Cazorla, then

Why can't you just write "what he said" like a normal person?

Comment

So, Santi Cazorla, then

I thought he looked like a darker version of bob mortimer playing that fellah from slade when he came on. Not so much in that photo.

Comment

So, Santi Cazorla, then

He is the Platonic Ideal of the Greasy Dago.
            Except he's Spanish (unless US & UK English speakers use "dago" differently).

Comment

So, Santi Cazorla, then

Dago means a Spaniard in the UK. (Although, obviously...)

Comment

So, Santi Cazorla, then

Hm. It's a derogatory term for Italians in the US.

Comment

So, Santi Cazorla, then

We say wops.

Comment

So, Santi Cazorla, then

Oh, we have that too.

I was thinking about it, and there really isn't an American slur for Spaniards. I guess we think they're Mexican. It pains me when an American comes back from Spain and they say "you know, the food there isn't like Mexican food at all!" in genuine surprise. I've even heard Mexican-Americans say that!

Comment

So, Santi Cazorla, then

Spicks?

Comment

So, Santi Cazorla, then

I've never understood why "Dago" is used to mean "Italian" in the US, because I'm pretty sure it's from "Diego". Quite an old insult, I think, going back to naval rivalry with Spain.

Whatever Jimmy Bignutz says, I reckon "Wop" is 100% American, as is "Guinea". Limey bigots have traditionally gone for the rather unimaginative "Eyetie".

Comment

So, Santi Cazorla, then

Theory from Wikipedia;

Wop is an English pejorative ethnic slur for a person of Italian descent. It is derived from the Neapolitan word "guappo", meaning a person who flaunts an overbearingly cocky and swaggering attitude.

Back in the days, it also could refer to someone following the guapperia, meaning bravery, See De Mauro Italian Dictionary, i.e., the ancient honour code of Camorra, a criminal organization based in Naples and the region of Campania , which bears similarities to the better-known Sicilian Mafia .

In Italy, the term "guappo" is still used, often sarcastically, to describe those young native men who really try hard to act brave, play cool, court every pretty girl, and those that are arrogant to the point of inducing a fight.

It was brought to the USA by early Italian immigrants from the province of Campania, who named those suspected to belonging to the Guapperia “Guappi”, in a similar fashion the Sicilians used the term “Mafiosi”. Widely used in Chicago where most immigrants from Campania settled - one of its native sons Al Capone was a typical Guappo - it was confused by the non-Italian population to indicate people of Italian origins, similarly the word “Paesano”.

Contrary to popular belief, it is most likely not an acronym for "With Out Papers" or "Without Passport", one of the most famous examples of folk etymology or backronym. The reason for this is that the term was already in popular use as early as 1910, a period in which no immigrant needed papers to enter the United States (passports and visas were not required of immigrants entering the country until 1921).

This insult was recently used by Welsh Assembly Member Alun Cairns on a live broadcast from Radio Cymru on Friday 13th June 2008, when he inappropriately referred to the Italian Euro 2008 football team as "Greasy Wops". As a consequence, he resigned from office

Comment

So, Santi Cazorla, then

Hmm, I don't really like the way this thread is going.

Comment

So, Santi Cazorla, then

I think he looks Welsh too Etienne.
                              Especially Ryan Jones.

Speaking of Welsh sporting heroes, doesn't this pin-up boy beloved of most Welsh females have a strong resemblance to Michael Ballack?

Comment

So, Santi Cazorla, then

A couple of years ago I was out with some friends in a restaurant, and one of them was saying that Mike Phillips had come on to her a few nights before. She was saying how gorgeous he was.

As we were leaving we realised that he was sitting on the table behind us, looking very amused, with his mum (less so) and his girlfriend (considerably less so).

Comment

So, Santi Cazorla, then

"Santi" is how "Santa" is pronounced in the North East of England. Ive never wanted a player to sign for us as much in my life.
                                  Even more so than the bullshit tabloid reports of Daniel "Geezer" Guiza today. His agent wife is simply using Sunderland to "up" his wage demands at Spurs.

Comment

So, Santi Cazorla, then

Guiza's wife is the Spanish equivalent of Jordan who spent a couple of years trying to have sex with David Beckham, isn't she?

Comment

So, Santi Cazorla, then

I have seen posters and pictures of Phillips on more desks in Wales than all other sportsmen put together.
                                      If Welsh Nurses and Hospital admin staff are anything to go by, he must be swimming in you know what.

When i politely ask what is the appeal of the fellow, they look at me like i have lost my mind and i am asking the most stupidest question ever.

The only explanation was, "he looks like a farmers son". I guess the fact that he looks like he can life alot of heavy stuff thats the turn on.

Maybe I should take up Rugby.

Comment

So, Santi Cazorla, then

Hieronymus of Hesselink wrote:
                                        Guiza's wife is the Spanish equivalent of Jordan who spent a couple of years trying to have sex with David Beckham, isn't she?
                                        She's also Guiza's agent.

Comment

So, Santi Cazorla, then

Cazorla has to be possibly the smallest looking footballer I've ever seen. He lacks the hobbit like plausibility of Messi. He's just a nugget.

Comment

Working...
                                          X