'Ireland were not crap' Revisionism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple answer is - they played badly against some good teams.

The results speak for themselves.

Comment

There was a press conference after the Croatia game, and it was trap and mcClean, and when trap was asked why he didn't bring on mcClean and he said that you can't expect mcClean to change a game at this level. It was an incredibly crass thing to say, particularly when the player was sitting beside him.
      ? this isn't true. mcclean never did a press conference with trap. trap said that at his tuesday press conference after the croatia game. it was just him and manuela up top, as usual.

i'd happily have roy keane as ireland manager. trap doesn't actually do much at all, so keane i think could only be worse if he actively destroyed parts of the squad - forcing players into exile etc. which there's a good chance he might do i suppose. but trap's kind of doing that anyway. having keano in charge would at least be entertaining, and frankly we can't expect much more from the irish team.

as for delaney, i'd have quinn in that job.

Comment

Kharkivorous Vulgaris wrote:
        Originally posted by Bryaniek
        Comments like that are exactly why he would make a good manager and not a cuddly TV pundit who is not supposed to say anything.
        Keane said: "On a night we got beaten in the cup by Luton, the staff came in and said, ‘Clive Clarke has had a heart attack at Leicester'.

"I said, ‘Is he OK? I'm shocked they found one, you could never tell by the way he plays'.
        Yes, that's a disgusting quote. I am not arguing that Keane is a nice guy. I would hate to have him as a colleague. But we're talking about football management. Keane didn't get where he is by being a nice person. He got there by being a driven bastard. And there is a high correlation between being a driven bastard and being a good football manager. Ferugson, Mourinho, Clough, Capello, Van Gaal... none of these guys are particularly likeable. In fact, they are all dicks who studied at the Stockholm Syndrome School of Football Management.

That quote about the heart attack is completely tasteless. And it's exactly the kind of thing you'd hear from Brian Clough.

Keane would be a calamitous choice for Ireland manager. Ferguson, Clough and Shankly all knew or know of the value of praising players, not just driving them to their mental and physical limits as if they'd signed up for the armed forces.
        As a young manager, Ferguson ripped the shit out of his players just after they won the SFA Cup. And how do you know that Keane doesn't praise his players?

Comment

garcia wrote: as for delaney, i'd have quinn in that job.
          Would he be good at developing League of Ireland football though? His adventures with Sunderland suggest that his interests lie elsewhere. Kerr would develop a brilliant underage structure in tandem with the LOI clubs.

Comment

As a young manager, Ferguson ripped the shit out of his players just after they won the SFA Cup. And how do you know that Keane doesn't praise his players?

Ferguson describes that as the biggest mistake of his career.

Comment

Vomit bags at the ready, today's Irish Times:

THE MAYOR of the Polish city Poznan visited Dublin yesterday to thank Irish fans for making such a good impression there during the Euro 2012 soccer tournament.

Ryszard Grobelny said he hoped the behaviour of the Irish fans during the European Championship would mark the start and not the end of a beautiful friendship between Ireland and Poznan.

President Michael D Higgins, who visited Poznan for Ireland’s first match of the tournament, against Croatia, received Mr Grobelny at Áras an Uachtaráin.

The mayor then went to the Mansion House, where he was presented with a painting depicting scenes from The Fields of Athenry, which Irish fans sang in lament and celebration at the end of Ireland’s match against Spain, which the tournament’s eventual winners won 4-0.

Comment

What's your point?

Comment

The mayor then went to the Mansion House, where he was presented with a painting depicting scenes from The Fields of Athenry
                  As if that's not bad enough...
                  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-18895671

Why all this sudden cruelty to the Poles?

Comment

Bryaniek wrote: Vomit bags at the ready, today's Irish Times:

THE MAYOR of the Polish city Poznan visited Dublin yesterday to thank Irish fans for making such a good impression there during the Euro 2012 soccer tournament.

Ryszard Grobelny said he hoped the behaviour of the Irish fans during the European Championship would mark the start and not the end of a beautiful friendship between Ireland and Poznan.

President Michael D Higgins, who visited Poznan for Ireland’s first match of the tournament, against Croatia, received Mr Grobelny at Áras an Uachtaráin.

The mayor then went to the Mansion House, where he was presented with a painting depicting scenes from The Fields of Athenry, which Irish fans sang in lament and celebration at the end of Ireland’s match against Spain, which the tournament’s eventual winners won 4-0.
                    Well, if you were getting 30 straight days of publicity from another country's national broadcaster, I suspect you'd be grateful too.

Comment

Evan Evian wrote: He doesn't seem to have any concept of frequency-dependency as a phenomenon.
                      Eh?

Comment

I presume our Caledonian comrade meant that the players would tune out Keane's rants over time.

Comment

Working...
                        X