The appalling punditry thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who on earth suggests constructing a TV set that is actually in the Baltic? And, even more pertinently, why in gods name listen to such a nutcase?

Comment

I'm quite enjoying the ITV panel's battle with the rowdies in the square beside which their studio is located.

There was a fearful cacophony of drunken singing and assorted musical performances outside on Friday night but the foul weather on Sunday evening seemed to have quietened the mood substantially, though I did still pick up a couple of defiant "In-Ger-Land" chants at one point.

The punditry has been rather good, incidentally, though Roy Keane's sociopath with piles demeanour does lend a rather icy touch to proceedings. Or maybe it keeps a lid on the trite levity and forces Southgate and the others to up their game.

Comment

I saw that ZDF island construction for the first time last night. Bizarre. Quite a few empty seats on the beach though, looks like the folk of Heringsdorf weren't that interested in Italy v. Spain.

ZDF or ARD did do something similar for Euro 2008 though, a big stage floating out somewhere on Lake Constance or something like that.

Comment

It was good to watch Ireland v Croatia in a pub showing RTE last night: all the studio pundits were emphatically over 50, sat starchly behind desks, being moderately grumpy and, most importantly indulging in no forced banter whatsoever. Even if the build-up was a bit cheesy.

Comment

I don't know if this is the right place to mention it, but occasional tv football personality james corden just won a Best actor in a play tony beating james earl jones, john lithgow, phillip seymour hoffman, and frank langella.

Fucking hell.

Comment

I was going to mention that in a "Americans just don't understand British theatre culture" thread.

The upside for you lot is that it may well mean that he spends more and more time over here.

Comment

Townsend doing the Eng-Fra game no doubt,may just listen just to lighten the mood..

Comment

I like ITV's playing of a few quiet bars of 'Peter and the Wolf' as the team lineup graphic comes on screen. It makes the players seem like characters in a fairytale.

Comment

The Awesome Berbaslug!!! wrote:
                    I don't know if this is the right place to mention it, but occasional tv football personality james corden just won a Best actor in a play tony beating james earl jones, john lithgow, phillip seymour hoffman, and frank langella.
                    He is by all accounts excellent in that play, I'm annoyed I missed out on seeing him in it. Still, quite a list of names to trump.

Anyway, not punditry but two dreadful commentary lines today. First in the Greece match where Jon Champion exclaimed after the second Czech goal "The Greeks have got some deficit reduction to do here!"

Then in the Russia-Poland game, the commentator (Tyldesley?) greeted the Polish equaliser with something about a nation celebrated "from peasant to President!"

It's not the fucking Middle Ages, Clive...

Comment

well things can get pretty quaint as you head towards the south east.

Comment

Watch it, banjo boy.

Comment

"That's a cheap free-kick to give away" - usually just outside the box presenting a goal-scoring chance.
                          I would have thought that was expensive.

Comment

Mark Lawrenson was making me want to put a brick through the screen during the Germany vs Holland match, the man is a complete tosser and the sooner he fucks off to Pantomime or Butlins where his piss weak "jokes" might be appreciated, the better.

Comment

Why was Spain/Ireland being trailed as 'a cracker of a game'? Spain beat Ireland easily. That's it.

Obviously they won't now but unless you enjoy the sight of fish in a barrel being shot or attritional defending, it won't be a cracker

Comment

Commentator: Fortune favours the brave...

Mick McCarthy: ... and the lucky.

Comment

Then in the Russia-Poland game, the commentator (Tyldesley?) greeted the Polish equaliser with something about a nation celebrated "from peasant to President!"

It's not the fucking Middle Ages, Clive...
                                  Think that was Peter Drury. So awful.

Comment

I'm expecting 'hilarious' remarks about Antonis Samaras and Georgios when Greece play Germany.

Comment

I can't take any more of Jamie Carragher. His high pitched whining voice and his accent, it's like listening to a whistle full of phlegm.

Comment

"...Czechoslovakia...or...the Republic...err...of...Czechoslovakia..." from David Pleat tonight on Five Live.

Comment

E10 Rifle wrote: It was good to watch Ireland v Croatia in a pub showing RTE last night
                                          Your determination to avoid the mindless minority in gobshite fancy dress singing paramilitary dirges didn't last long then?

Comment

Two from Ian Darke:

"Sweden are definitely out but nothing has been decided yet."

"This will be England's first quarter final since Euro 96"

Comment

Returning to the coverage in Germany on ZDF, there are loads of editorials in the German press slagging it off. Some of them quite funny by German standards.

Here's a lovely picture of Olli and Katrin in the sea.

Comment

Alan Brazil this morning "Engalnd v italy, what a corker I've got it too close to call ooooooooooh."

He seems to have developed a verbal tick that means he finishes many assessments of matches with an ooooooooh or a wooooor.

Comment

Furtho wrote: Commentator: Fortune favours the brave...

Mick McCarthy: ... and the lucky.
                                                  Sorry, but that's quite funny.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                                    X