THE FINAL: Germany v Spain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another strong contender for the most spurious Old Firm related post of the tournament from Hiero there. You really ought to calm down about games before you were born. (Although all reports I read agreed that Atletico were cynical, violent thugs even by the standards of the time).

Comment

I think you need some new material, Bill.

A lot of new material.

Comment

I don't know, Jonathan. I mean, there are only so many ways (one, basically) to say "do you really have to drone on about Euro 2008 players', referees' and coaches' peripheral links with Celtic years/ decades ago?".

Comment

I'll type what I like without having it vetted by you first, thanks.

Now, isn't it about time that you posted another picture of David Healy and met your quota for the week?

Comment

Sunday evening, perhaps. I'm waiting to see whether Villa's injury is a bluff, with him recovering at the last moment to get a hat trick in the final and pip Lord Killyleagh as leading scorer for the whole thing. It's 13-11 at present.

Comment

Unlike most on this thread I will be cheering Germany on to a workmanlike fluky win on Sunday. This is not unconnected to the bet I have riding on them.

Comment

well I liked VDLG's photoshop.

Comment

You in Vienna for the final?

Comment

It was only when I popped in to a very sorry-for-itself Niketown yesterday that I realised we have an all-Adidas final tomorrow.

Comment

Then the great Georg Schwarzenbeck, who I will buy a beer if I ever meet him,
                      He runs a stationery shop in Munich now, I believe. Should be easy to find on your next trip to Bavaria.

Comment

That'll make it four Euros in a row won wearing adidas. And apart from 1992, all going back to, what, 1972?

Not so good in the World Cups though.

Comment

BBC reporting that Ballack is "a doubt" after missing training yesterday. Mind games?

Comment

Despite the fact that in many ways this is the bookies' favourites final, there's something unexpected and pleasing about it all. Of all the international tournaments I've followed this is the first one ever where I've basically liked both participants and am genuinely undecided who I want to win.

I'd like Germany to win because they have the best football culture in Europe by miles, because they're not the robotic ogres of old (despite the fact that so many English people - even on here - just can't let it go), because they're fallible and are actually the underdogs in football quality terms. And, well, cos I've got money on them.

On the other hand I'd like Spain to win because it's my favourite country in Europe, because Spanish football generally too is pretty great, because they've been shit too long and - notwithstanding their cunt of a manager - they've played the most consistently admirable football, front to back, in this tournament.

Happy days, really. This happens so rarely as to be properly celebrated.

Comment

not sure E10, if they were ever ogres... but I get your point.

HoH: I cant believe you were actually old enough to remember that game... I vividly remember the exact moment which you describe (Shwarzenbeck), and how every memberof my family screamed in unison: 'YA FUCKING BEAUTY' in many accents (Irish parents).

I am pretty sure that only 3 got sent off in the semis though.

Oh and someone upthread said 'Fuck Aragones'... ok, if I must, but I will be thinking of wsc at all times.

Oh, and E10. spot on about this has to be remembered... please let it be worth it.

Comment

i think germany will win. 2-0

klose will get both

Comment

If Germany win tonight, they will have won the European Championship in every decade from the 70s onwards.

Comment

I'm with E10 on really not minding which of these two teams win. They've probably been the two most balanced sides, and it's interesting that they both might find themselves using 4-5-1 formations tonight, after starting with 4-4-2.

Torres can give Mertersacker and Metzelder some serious problems, if he's given the right service, but the Spanish defence isn't exactly rock-solid either.

Germany 2-1, I think, but I just hope it's a good game.

Comment

gerontophile wrote:
                                      HoH: I cant believe you were actually old enough to remember that game...
                                      I'm not, I just saw a re-run of it on ESPN Classic one night in a hotel room in Barcelona. I was born a couple of years after that game.

Just checked and you are right, "only" three Atletico players were ordered off in the semi. Also, Aragones himself didn't play in that particular match.

But he's still a prick.

Comment

2-1, either way. Or 3-1. Or 4-0. Or 2-2 and penalties. 3-2, I have to state now, is RIGHT OUT. I've got £90 riding on this. Four goals good, five goals BAD.

Comment

ok, removing the unpleasant Aragones out of the equation:

I have to support Germany. All of my instincts are screaming no (including my brain) but circumstances, and some persuasive arguments offline are telling me (literally, TELLING) to support the Germany side.

However: Aside from Mr Beck, I will nip round the local shop to see if Mr and Mrs (Cerveza) are at home, but I doubt it. Its a local shop for local people, so if I print out Sir wingco's reports, they will be assumed to be true, there.

The cultural attache here (nagging person) says Germany will win 3-1, and pig fucker will score twice (his translation, not mine)

Comment

Sadly it's out of my hands. It'll be Germany.

Comment

No, I think that now Spain have got this far, there's no way they can lose.

Sergio Ramos and Marchena nothwithstanding.

Comment

After a quick recce with the local shop, I found that they had NO Spanish beer, or wine.

So I made do with a cheeky wee Italian, and a bottle of wine... I'm here all week.

ESPANA POR FAVOR.

but who cares, let it be a wonderful game (and Spain win)

Comment

oh, and Fabregas is playing from the start...

Germany
                                                  01 Lehmann
                                                  03 Friedrich
                                                  21 Metzelder
                                                  17 Mertesacker
                                                  16 Lahm
                                                  15 Hitzlsperger
                                                  08 Frings
                                                  20 Podolski
                                                  13 Ballack
                                                  07 Schweinsteiger
                                                  11 Klose

Spain
                                                  01 Casillas
                                                  15 Sergio Ramos
                                                  05 Puyol
                                                  04 Marchena
                                                  11 Capdevila
                                                  19 Senna
                                                  06 Iniesta
                                                  10 Fabregas
                                                  08 Xavi
                                                  21 Silva
                                                  09 Torres

Comment

but who cares, let it be a wonderful game (and Spain win)
                                                    Yes, a wonderful 2-1. Or 3-1. Like I said, 3-2 is RIGHT OUT.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X