Current Kindle bargains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Current Kindle bargains

A repository for any discounted Kindle books you come across, which may be of interest to the board.

Currently at 99p are England's Dreaming by Jon Savage and When the Lights Went Out: Britain in the Seventies by Andy Beckett.

And at £1.49, How Soon is Now?: The Madmen and Mavericks who made Independent Music by Richard King.

Current Kindle bargains

Don't know if they are any good (brief reviews would be nice!) but these Faber Forty-Fives are going for for 1.71 a pop:

Syd Barrett and British Psychedelia
    UK Post-Punk
    Sex Pistols and Punk

edit: the customers who bought this schtick is telling me there's a couple more (the new music journalism, electric folk) but i can't hack copy/pasting any more of these unwieldy URLs)

Comment

Current Kindle bargains

Oliver Sacks' new book Hallucinations is currently £1.90.

Comment

Current Kindle bargains

I can't believe what I'm seeing.

Comment

Current Kindle bargains

very good!

to both of you!

Comment

Current Kindle bargains

And Jon Ronson's The Psychopath Test is £2.69.

Comment

Current Kindle bargains

Even better--they've bundled Them: Adventures with Extremists, The Psychopath Test and The Men who Stare at Goats, and are selling it for £1.89.

Bargain.

Comment

Current Kindle bargains

Pauline Fisk's lovely children's book Midnight Blue, is available free for the next 24 hours or so.

Comment

Current Kindle bargains

David Kynaston's very good history of 1947 to 1951, Austerity Britain (Tales of a New Jerusalem) is currently going for £2.63.

Comment

Current Kindle bargains

Just in case you didn't know: you can currently get almost every book ever written by Joseph Conrad on the Kindle for free.

Comment

Current Kindle bargains

Laugh-a-minute former Cream drummer Ginger Baker's autobiography is currently 99p.

Comment

Current Kindle bargains

I think this is its regular price, but Alex Bellos' very good Futebol: The Brazilian Way Of Life is still a bargain at £2.05.

Comment

Current Kindle bargains

Amazon can, frankly, whistle out their arse for any of my money.

Which is, precisely, their attitude towards paying tax. Cunts.

Comment

Current Kindle bargains

E10 Rifle wrote: Amazon can, frankly, whistle out their arse for any of my money.

Which is, precisely, their attitude towards paying tax. Cunts.
                            Well if you change your mind you can get Orwell's 'Politics and the English Language' for 49p

Comment

Current Kindle bargains

Why are 'Kindle' titles in the Books' thread?

They are not books. They are machines to help you read. Like 'GQ', or whatever.

Read a book. Feel it. Touch it. Taste it. Yes, the author... actually, buy an electronic device which will stop you thinking, and choosing, you knobs.

Buy books.

Specifically, buy mine.

Comment

Current Kindle bargains

Well, it could be argued that the word 'book' doesn't only have to refer to the physical object, but can also be the concept.

Anyway, as I've explained before, for those of us living on the other side of the world from our book cases and without the means to have our books shipped over to us, e-readers are great.

Comment

Current Kindle bargains

Gerontophile wrote: Read a book. Feel it. Touch it. Taste it. Yes, the author... actually, buy an electronic device which will stop you thinking, and choosing, you knobs
                                  Christ, I can only hope you're trolling. Fucking drivel.

Comment

Current Kindle bargains

Gerontophile wrote: They are not books. They are machines to help you read. Like 'GQ', or whatever.

Read a book. Feel it. Touch it. Taste it. Yes, the author... actually, buy an electronic device which will stop you thinking, and choosing, you knobs.
                                    Are you serious?

Comment

Current Kindle bargains

Having coveted Mrs. Sits' for some time (her Kindle that is - as if I would stoop to cheap innuendo) I took the plunge and last weekend bought a Kindle Paperwhite from a local Big W for what I think is an excellent price of A$179. Dick Smith were quoting $249.

I am becoming quite inseparable from it and my first selection has been Sid Lowe's Fear and Loathing in La Liga .

Comment

Current Kindle bargains

Andrei Gelasimov's The Lying Year is only 99p. I liked it.

Comment

Current Kindle bargains

A repository for any discounted Kindle books you come across, which may be of interest to the board.

Currently at 99p are England's Dreaming by Jon Savage and When the Lights Went Out: Britain in the Seventies by Andy Beckett.

And at £1.49, How Soon is Now?: The Madmen and Mavericks who made Independent Music by Richard King.
                                          I'm agnostic on the whole books v kindle question, other than in practice I don't have one, and still buy lots of books, but just in a comparative what-would-you-pay-for-a-real-one test, I have bought both Savage's and Beckett's books from our city centre Oxfam, 2.99 each in the last few months, and it struck me that one aspect of the Savage I couldn't do without are the cover and internal photos: (genuine question) do kindle books have photies?

Comment

Current Kindle bargains

Depends. Some come with illustrations but, of course, the e-reader Kindle doesn't render photos fantastically, what with not having a colour screen (it's possible to use a tablet to read Kindle books, by downloading a free Amazon app. I've not done, because I don't fancy reading off a backlit screen, but it's possible that photos are better rendered on tablets).

For stuff like line drawings of old illustrated editions, it's fine, though.

Comment

Current Kindle bargains

I disagree. The Kindle device renders halftones (i.e. black and white photos) reasonably well, although you're limited to a maximum of two-thirds of the screen.

Vectors and line art, such as graphs, charts and tables, are usually barely legible. Although that's partly a function of the small screen.

Comment

Current Kindle bargains

There's some discounted Stephen King books in the Kindle Store at the moment; don't know for how long.

Comment

Current Kindle bargains

Can't stand the things.The only thing I've enjoyed is hearing about the screen 'freezing' and being unable to turn the page.
                                                  Wouldn't be seen dead with one. The big problem is that they will absorb all the trash book market/TV tie in books that give the bookseller cash flow and the ability to stock quality lit, particularly from the independent publishers who can't survive kindle.
                                                  A solid book in your hand is infinitely better than a kindle, and a good old fashioned book shop is infinitely better than an amazon recommends as your only form of browsing.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X